logo
Old 03-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts
Re: Pattern Newbie

Power it with a Hacker C50, and you should be fine. Jason Shulman flies this combo. No fuel to clean up and no fuel to buy
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by Temptation
Lawn Dart Pilot
Lenox Twp. MI, United States
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic3D
Power it with a Hacker C50, and you should be fine. Jason Shulman flies this combo. No fuel to clean up and no fuel to buy
I wouldn't recommend starting out in pattern with an electric. Electric has quite the learning curve, and is by far the most expensive powertrain setup for pattern. For what you would spend on one powertrain along with the support gear, you could build a complete top of the line glow powered pattern plane.

I am not saying that someone doesn't have the ability to run an electric set up, or learn it. I am saying the cost is not worth the return. As of yet you do not have to have an electric powertrain to win in any class. Yes, it presents better, and there is a little bit of social stigma that goes along with it. Is in necessary to win? No. Until Masters, I do not see a need for electric. Maybe it will help a little, but is not a must have setup.

Now, electric does have it's benefits. The power is awesome. The power is very consistant. Very slow downlines.

Keep in mind these things are cool, but like I said not a must have.

Mike Darr
Temptation is offline Find More Posts by Temptation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by Pttrnflier
New York
Joined Feb 2006
194 Posts

The E set up I ran Last year at the nats was an AXI 5330/18 with a Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV on a 10s3p Tanic 5400mAh Lipo. It is a very simple set up to get going, not as expensive as the other and very reliable.

However as Mike said, it is not necessary to fly electric until master.

Remember to have fun.

Dan Landis
Pttrnflier is offline Find More Posts by Pttrnflier
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Find More Posts by Foamy Love
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

As far as the sportsman sequence goes I can fly it with my foamie with almost no problem. The one problem is that my foamies are the only planes I have.

I am still looking for a used plane, but its tuff to find a decient one. So if you know of one please email me.

On the gas versus electric, I am really loving my larger electric helis so EP is most likely the route I'll take.

I am finding a lot of pattern pilots in the SE MIchigan and northern Ohio area which is real cool. Plus the support I've gotten here is top noch. I'll be posting my progress as I try to transition from heil pattern to plane pattern flight.
Foamy Love is offline Find More Posts by Foamy Love
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Adam,

Where do you live? What club do you fly at? I live in Lenox Twp. MI., which is about 50 miles North of Detroit. I fly at the Radio Control Club of Detroit, which is actually located in Lenox Twp. I also have my own private runway on my sisters farm in China Twp. We could get together and practice pattern whenever you want.

Andrew Jesky, and Verne Koester both fly electric pattern. Andrew lives in Monroe, and Verne lives in Northville. Verne will be flying electric pattern for the first time this year. Andrew started last year. Those are the two guys you would want to hook up with if you decide to take the electric route.

I am more than willing to give you a hand where ever I can. As far as electric questions go, I would suggest talking to Drew or Verne. The only experience I have with electrics is watching those two guys, unless you count foamies. I don't, because they are two totally different animals.

Mike Darr
Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

Mike,

I'm in Center Line which is at 696 and VanDyke. 5min north of Prop Shop.

With Helis you don't really need a field or a club so the local high school has worked fine. I plan on joining the Radio Control Club of Detroit this spring. I figure it would be best if I had a real flying field for the planes.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Lawn Dart Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Wow Adam,

What a small world. You are only about 40 minutes from me. I live 5 minutes from RCCD. Ken Thompson, Scott Pavlok, and I all belong to RCCD. You would be more than welcome to join the club, we would love to have you. We also have two or three other members that fly sportsman in the RCCD pattern contest. I am the CD for that contest.

Give me a call if you want to get together and fly. Home (586) 727-3722/Cell (810) 305-0720.

Mike Darr
Old 03-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

Thanks Mike.

I'll be ordering my plane in the next two weeks. Once I build it and weigh it I'll order the motor and esc. Kyosho list the weight as 2400-2500g. But I don't know if thatts flight ready or not. Then again I may find a good used one and just go with that. EIther way I'll be crash ready by May.

When is the contest at RCCD?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Hey Adam,

The Pattern contest for RCCD is July 29th and 30th.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

I'll be at the RCCD contest for sure. And I'm going to try and make the next club meeting.

THere is going to be a slight delay in getting my plane though. If I wait a few more weeks the future Mrs. Foamy Love will get it for my B-day. I figure I can wait as that will allow me to get everything else I need by the time I get the plane.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Yes Adam,

That seems to be a very intelligent move indeed, I'll look forward to meeting you at the field.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 03-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Lawn Dart Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Adam,

Sorry I didn't answer your question sooner. I just noticed your post this morning. Looks like Ken answered your question anyway. Ken is a wealth of knowledge also, and is always willing to help. Make sure you meet him when you get out to the field.

What plane did you decide on getting?

The weekend is going to be pretty decent, weather wise, according to the weather man. Ken and I are planning on going out to RCCD to get some flights in. You are more than welcome to tag along and check out the field. Bring a plane or heli if you want. If you decide to bring your heli, I'll bring mine too, so you don't feel like an outsider .

If the field isn't a big muddy mess, I'll fly my pattern plane. We can go through some sequences so you can get a feel for it. I don't know what experience you have with pattern, so we can start at whatever level you want. Just let us know.

Mike
Last edited by Temptation; 03-08-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Lawn Dart Pilot
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pttrnflier
The E set up I ran Last year at the nats was an AXI 5330/18 with a Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV on a 10s3p Tanic 5400mAh Lipo. It is a very simple set up to get going, not as expensive as the other and very reliable.

However as Mike said, it is not necessary to fly electric until master.

Remember to have fun.

Dan Landis
Dan,

I am sure your set up is cheaper than the others. Problem is, it doesn't matter what motor, or batteries you run. You will still need a generator, and at least two chargers, but most likely you will need four. You also need cell balancers for your batteries. All of this stuff adds up quick, which makes it more expensive than glow. At this point in time anyway.

Mike Darr
Old 03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

I'm going with the new Kyosho with a Saito .72 for power. I really wanted to make it EP but right now gas is just cheaper.

What time are you thinking about flying this weekend? I really don't have plans yet but that might change. If I can make it out I will.

Quick Reply