logo
Old 05-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by bemeson
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritrc View Post
Not boring at all. Thanks for the info, now I really want one.
Do you need to calibrate it every time you power it up?
Thanks
James
James,
They suggest you should calibrate it each time you fly at a different location. It's really no big deal as it takes 30 seconds and it aids the compass in. Asking sure it knows where home is in case of an emergency.

Brian
bemeson is offline Find More Posts by bemeson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnJockey View Post
I am also considering one of these. Great write-up. How easy is it to switch to the NAZA mode?

LJ
Switching to NAZA mode is easy. You load the DJI assistant program on your computer. You then hook up the supplied USB to mini USB cable to the phantom with the program running. You choose NAZA mode and your done. You take it outside, make sure your S1 and S2 switches are in the right position and your done. Oh yea then calibrate compass and your flying.

Brian
Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Really wanting one of these, but will probably go with the version without camera and use a go-pro. Could use the go-pro for tons of other things.
I thought so to, but the gimbal really makes a big difference. Yes you can then purchase the gimbal and put everything together and by that time you you have purchased more things than the price of the vision plus. Secondly you will not get the real time data about battery life, gps lock, camera setting, and a host of other options.

Brian
Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Judge,
The phantom pilots was good and I read all the pages prior to receiving the product. RC groups has some good info as well

Brian
Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemeson View Post
Judge,
The phantom pilots was good and I read all the pages prior to receiving the product. RC groups has some good info as well

Brian
Yep, those are the two places I go for Phantom info. Seriously p!$$&d that the P2V+ came out a mere 8 days after I got my Vision. Oh well.

Here's a shot I took looking towards my house. I live near the bottom of the grayish looking slope in the middle-right background. I was flying out over a large canyon looking back. THe Pacific Ocean is at the end of the valley about 5 miles from where the photo was taken. The other photo is our flying field at OCMA. Irvine Lake is in the background.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Yep, those are the two places I go for Phantom info. Seriously p!$$&d that the P2V+ came out a mere 8 days after I got my Vision. Oh well.

Here's a shot I took looking towards my house. I live near the bottom of the grayish looking slope in the middle-right background. I was flying out over a large canyon looking back. THe Pacific Ocean is at the end of the valley about 5 miles from where the photo was taken. The other photo is our flying field at OCMA. Irvine Lake is in the background.
The pictures are great. Since I have been playing around with the Phantom for the last week I really can appreciate the photos and videos that are posted. The possibilities of these units are endless. My biggest concern are the idiots flying them in FPV view at distances like a mile high. It is no wonder airliners are being struck and the possibility of carnage is high. If only those idiots would use proper judgement. I am afraid the FAA will take this privilege away soon if people don't use better judgement

Brian
Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,493 Posts
Agreed, there are a lot of Yahoos out there that are giving this part of the hobby a bad name. Try posting a negative opinion about something stupid you see and you will quickly realize the depth and breadth of the community of poor judgment that is out there.

What so many do not realize and refuse to accept, is that operating well BLOS and at altitude poses a real risk. They view it as their "right". For me, I use 3 rules:

1 - Never fly over people, roads, power lines, buildings or anything else that might be damaged or injured if the thing drops out of the sky.

2 - Never fly beyond what you can see it. For me that is around 900 feet laterally and 500 feet or so vertically. That is under ideal conditions.

3 - Never fly in a place or manner that will attract undue (any) attention.

I'm going to San Francisco tomorrow. I am bringing my Phantom. But I am not going to fly off Fisherman's Wharf, over the Ferry Building, or any place else that is either high risk or high visibility (of me). I may be a pu$$y, but I am a safe pu$$y !!!
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Sorry about the long delay between posts. I put flights 4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10 on the beast and all have been quite fun with no issues what so ever. On flights 10-15, I switched the beast over to NAZA-M. I really like the fact you can use the switches on the transmitter to change the flight modes. I really like the fact you can hit a switch and the unit will return back to home on its own and land. I use it when my seven year old daughter is flying. She thinks it's cool. I really have no complaints on this unit as it's been perfect for each of the flights. It's been a very long time since I have purchased anything that performed out of the box like the Phantom. It is definitely no hassle flying. I will say it's affected my heli flying as now flying ,my heli seems so much harder to fly and requires uber more attention.

I have not used the Phantom in low light as I bet the camera may not work so well. I would have done it already, but we have been getting some very hard and frequent rain here in Colorado and it's affecting my hobbies. I hope to have some more info here later this weekend.

Brian
Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,203 Posts
I bought a phantom vision back last winter... it has been a blast and I got some great shots. Now I want the vision +.
rick dazzler is offline Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Find More Posts by cavebear
Let the Next Crusade Begin
Donegal, PA
Joined May 2006
116 Posts
How long does it take from power up till you get locked in GPS. Mine seems to take awhile. Like more than a minute before I can take off.

I want to get a transmitter tray with ipad mount and shoulder straps. Any suggestions?
cavebear is offline Find More Posts by cavebear
Old 08-15-2014, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,493 Posts
Mine takes a minute or so. Not a big deal. About the same time it takes to start a normal airplane. But make sure that you have 6+ satellites AND let it set its home position (fast green blinks) before taking off.

I use an iPad on a camera tripod. I put a transmitter balancer on from Tarot, and now the transmitter balances perfectly. I've tried trays, etc. But this seems to work the best for me.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemeson View Post
It is no wonder airliners are being struck...

Brian
I don't fly FPV and don't care much for the aspect of this part of the hobby.
It just doesn't interest me. I do demo the various Blade products at the shop
and I can fly them with confidence. Until I read this post I was unaware of any
Quad/Airliner collisions. Has this happened?
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 03-18-2015, 05:26 AM
Find More Posts by Guser
Joined Mar 2015
2 Posts
The Mighty DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus
Guser is offline Find More Posts by Guser

Quick Reply