logo
Old 06-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
Wanted to take a moment to share a few things we've been working on which may be hitting the website soon...

First up is the turboprop smoke tube kit. Featuring twin 6" atomizing smoke tubes which can be indexed for alignment for true universal mounting possibilities. Mounting options makes for simple removal for turbine servicing with just 2 machine screws.

Micro-mist smoke nozzles are the smallest orifice smoke nozzles made for extremely fine misting even at the lowest operating pressures. Stainless steel & laser welded components.

Lastly, a teaser for the fogger nozzle concept. Like a micro sized fuel injector. Impressive cone shaped fog pattern. Due to the complexity of the design, keeping these at a reasonable price-point will be difficult to market.
I've got your 'original' nozzles and love them to death.

Your new ideas are intriguing but I have to ask, will the fogger nozzles really produce the effect you're showing in the extremely limited area / distance they are spraying in, inside a muffler?
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill View Post

Your new ideas are intriguing but I have to ask, will the fogger nozzles really produce the effect you're showing in the extremely limited area / distance they are spraying in, inside a muffler?
or is it more for a jet or my automobile?
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
Excellent point!
Old 06-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Just installed the fan spray nozzles on my piped DA120. Used the no-weld adapter. Very nice quality components!

It would be nice to have the hose ends broached inside for Allen wrench. Would make to very easy to hold proper indexing when tightening the nuts.

Earle
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 06-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:

The fogger actually is atomizing as soon it leaves the surface of the nozzle. The original flat fan nozzles have always sprayed with a flat sheet of smoke oil for the first 1.5"-2" or so as it leaves the nozzle when sprayed into the atmosphere. The expanding exhaust gas & heat is likely disrupting this sheet surface immediately. Here is a quote I made from an earlier discussion.

"Muffler or header cross section is typically less than the 1.5-2" required for full atomization, however the droplet size of expelled fluid as it leaves the surface of the nozzle is extremely small which aids in faster vaporization of smoke fluid and minimizing inherent muffler cooling and unburnt blow-by resulting in a oil covered airplane."
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
The concept is actually derived from a single fuel nozzle used on a jet engine fuel circuit. With that said there are a few internal high
tolerance components which make for challenging manufacturing & reasonable pricing due to machining time. This was more of a proof of concept at this point. I have built a hand full from brass & stainless.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:35 PM
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Just installed the fan spray nozzles on my piped DA120. Used the no-weld adapter. Very nice quality components!

It would be nice to have the hose ends broached inside for Allen wrench. Would make to very easy to hold proper indexing when tightening the nuts.

Earle
Thanks Earle. I have done a few in stainless with an internal hex as you mentioned. While not the standard as of now, This may be something that develops in the future.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:54 PM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankcase View Post
The fogger actually is atomizing as soon it leaves the surface of the nozzle. The original flat fan nozzles have always sprayed with a flat sheet of smoke oil for the first 1.5"-2" or so as it leaves the nozzle when sprayed into the atmosphere. The expanding exhaust gas & heat is likely disrupting this sheet surface immediately. Here is a quote I made from an earlier discussion.

"Muffler or header cross section is typically less than the 1.5-2" required for full atomization, however the droplet size of expelled fluid as it leaves the surface of the nozzle is extremely small which aids in faster vaporization of smoke fluid and minimizing inherent muffler cooling and unburnt blow-by resulting in a oil covered airplane."
You're probably at the limit of what can be done for 'atomizing' droplet size.....much more will depend on these variables:
1) Smoke oil used
2) Temperature of exhaust gas
3) Control of smoke fluid flow to throttle position (ie. minimization of un-burnt smoke fluid)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:41 PM
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
For the sake of discussion here are the components of the fogger nozzle. The tolerances of the swirl plug to the nozzle body are critical to achieve an acceptable and uniform spray pattern. The blind bore angle and surface finish are equally important.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by Kitchenman
United States, FL, Hobe Sound
Joined Dec 2019
38 Posts
Love my bad dog smoke nozzles an d advice!!
Kitchenman is offline Find More Posts by Kitchenman
Old 07-02-2021, 06:52 AM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
looking forward to seeing this work on a DA120. wish baddogsmokes would still include the small sticker shown with the nozzles, two would be even better. free, great advertising.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 07-02-2021, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by -Rick-
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Feb 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Burkert View Post
looking forward to seeing this work on a DA120. wish baddogsmokes would still include the small sticker shown with the nozzles, two would be even better. free, great advertising.
If I may ask, how did you put a bead of aluminum to mount the nozzles? I have a set in the mail for me from Crankcase to mount the same way as you. I do worry that the wall thickness of the muffler will not be able to hold them in.
-Rick- is online now Find More Posts by -Rick-
Old 07-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
If I may ask, how did you put a bead of aluminum to mount the nozzles? I have a set in the mail for me from Crankcase to mount the same way as you. I do worry that the wall thickness of the muffler will not be able to hold them in.
Gotta be honest.....I've mounted these great nozzles the 'old fashion' way, straight in the holes normally drilled/tapped for old style nozzles and they've held with no problem at all and generated tons of smoke. I've got the Sullivan Smoke pump speed tied to throttle position to try and match smoke oil feed to heat generated by increasing/decreasing motor speed.
See what you think:
Baddog Smoke Nozzle (0 min 34 sec)
Old 07-02-2021, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by -Rick-
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Feb 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
Gotta be honest.....I've mounted these great nozzles the 'old fashion' way, straight in the holes normally drilled/tapped for old style nozzles and they've held with no problem at all and generated tons of smoke. I've got the Sullivan Smoke pump speed tied to throttle position to try and match smoke oil feed to heat generated by increasing/decreasing motor speed.
See what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7QOMm33Kxw
Yup, looks real good! I have a bad dog nozzle already in a canister plane, I know that they are the best out there!
But on this plane I went with the stock mufflers and plan on installing them into the mufflers. Hopefully the muffler walls will hold them.
Also going to try a Swiwin brushless smoke pump. I also tie it to my throttle to match.
-Rick- is online now Find More Posts by -Rick-
Old 07-02-2021, 10:06 AM
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
Yup, looks real good! I have a bad dog nozzle already in a canister plane, I know that they are the best out there!
But on this plane I went with the stock mufflers and plan on installing them into the mufflers. Hopefully the muffler walls will hold them.
Also going to try a Swiwin brushless smoke pump. I also tie it to my throttle to match.
When I install mine in the muffler walls I use the Permatex Ultra Copper sealer on the nozzle threads and the holding nut. It provides a great seal AND it tends to hold the nozzle securely without worry
I also use a very thin layer of this on my mufflers and muffler bolts and I guarantee there are never any exhaust 'leaks'

Quick Reply