logo
Old 06-26-2021, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
318 Posts
Discussion
Transport

My job is moving me to northern VA. Unfortunately, it seems that houses were not built down there to accommodate a trailer (or even a large car). I have a 6x12 cut down to 81" to fit in my garage. Most garages down there are not tall enough or even wide enough.

My largest plane is a 40% (125" span). Minivans are not around so much anymore. How much of a pain to get one in a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Expedition? Can my son and dog come with me to IMAC contests? Ford Transit van a better option?

I don't want to have to give up contests. What are some good options to transport a big plane? Other than a trailer, of course.

Dave
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-26-2021, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,630 Posts
I have a Suburban that I can haul my Carden Pro when I am too lazy to take the trailer. It fits in there fine,but you do have to remove the propeller.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 06-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by Cessna340
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2020
95 Posts
I bought a used laundry van (1985 Ford E-150) for $1,900 with 200+ thousand miles on it.
I put a $500 cheapo paint job on it and a set of chrome wheel covers.
It passed smog check for the next 8 years. Then I sold it for $800.
I just used it locally but it worked out great.
Cessna340 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna340
Old 06-26-2021, 08:57 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
977 Posts
I've had several generations of full-size GM SUV's, currently a 2021 Suburban, and have hauled 40% and everything else my entire 'career'. The 2nd row captain's seats is key.

Attached is a typical day -- 40% , 35% and a few smaller electrics (and all supporting gear, etc.. not pictured) and a passenger. If I'm only bringing one large gasser then a 2nd passenger would be comfortable.
AHP is online now Find More Posts by AHP
Old 06-28-2021, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by Cajun
Teen Scene Staff
Franklin, Louisana
Joined Jan 2006
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHP View Post
I've had several generations of full-size GM SUV's, currently a 2021 Suburban, and have hauled 40% and everything else my entire 'career'. The 2nd row captain's seats is key.

Attached is a typical day -- 40% , 35% and a few smaller electrics (and all supporting gear, etc.. not pictured) and a passenger. If I'm only bringing one large gasser then a 2nd passenger would be comfortable.

Wow I must be absolute garbage at packing planes haha. I have a 33% and a foamy and I run out of room in my Tahoe. Can you please share a pic of it fully loaded. Where does it all go?!
Cajun is online now Find More Posts by Cajun
Old 06-28-2021, 08:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
318 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing that Tetris setup.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:12 AM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
977 Posts
The extra length in the Suburban and Yukon XL over the Tahoe makes a huge difference. I'll snap some pics the next time I'm all loaded up.
AHP is online now Find More Posts by AHP
Old 06-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2007
318 Posts
Thank you! We did find a house, and my trailer should fit with 1/2” on either side. If that turns out to be a pain, I will want to find another option. My family is dead set against me selling my pickup. We all love that truck.
Old 12-31-2021, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by Red Comet
United States, UT, Saratoga Springs
Joined Apr 2010
36 Posts
Hi Dave,
Hoping to fly some IMAC this year and the 78" bed in my pickup is definitely going to be a limiter for larger planes. So looking at trailers, and like you say, most are too tall to fit thru my garage door.

Did you cut down the height on your trailer or did you find a sheetmetal guy or ??? What was involved there?

Been looking for "low profile" trailer but so far, not successful.
Thank you,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
My job is moving me to northern VA. Unfortunately, it seems that houses were not built down there to accommodate a trailer (or even a large car). I have a 6x12 cut down to 81" to fit in my garage. Most garages down there are not tall enough or even wide enough.

My largest plane is a 40% (125" span). Minivans are not around so much anymore. How much of a pain to get one in a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Expedition? Can my son and dog come with me to IMAC contests? Ford Transit van a better option?

I don't want to have to give up contests. What are some good options to transport a big plane? Other than a trailer, of course.

Dave
Red Comet is offline Find More Posts by Red Comet
Old 12-31-2021, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by Rc_jeffreyv
Rc_jeffreyv
United States, SC, Seneca
Joined Dec 2012
108 Posts
I switched from Tahoe to Honda Minivan. For 60cc I turn the tail 45 as I enter. Fits between seats with tail on center counsel. For 120 and up, remove 1 seat. For 40% remove horizontal.

My daughter solved cool factor. Bought me magnetic flames for the sides.
Rc_jeffreyv is offline Find More Posts by Rc_jeffreyv
Old 12-31-2021, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Comet View Post
Hi Dave,
Hoping to fly some IMAC this year and the 78" bed in my pickup is definitely going to be a limiter for larger planes. So looking at trailers, and like you say, most are too tall to fit thru my garage door.

Did you cut down the height on your trailer or did you find a sheetmetal guy or ??? What was involved there?

Been looking for "low profile" trailer but so far, not successful.
Thank you,
Jeff
Most trailer places will custom make something. Here in MA, I had mine done at Sharkfin Trailers. There was no extra charge for the custom height. I know Rock Solid Trailers does the same.

Scary how much trailers have gone up now though.

Dave
Old 12-31-2021, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,571 Posts
Happy New Year Dave and everyone on FG's.
Here's a few shots of my Durango R/T and Ron's Flex with our first 42% Dalton 300 SP's (the one's we built before the one you bought off me). Because of the height of the rudders, we make the gear easy to take off and lay the fuse on their side. I think if we made the rudders removable the gear could stay on, but I think gear removeable works better for us.

We do the same for our Kam Aero's.

Tom
tom wheeler is offline Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Last edited by tom wheeler; 12-31-2021 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply