logo
Old 01-15-2022, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by ChemE
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Mar 2017
316 Posts
Glad to see you are up and posting early on a @#$%% frigid day in New England. I am working on a hydro project today and the wind chill is like -20. Came in for a cup of coffee and my face is numb.

Love to see the engine, it looks very nice! How do you compare the throttle response to other engines in its size?
ChemE is online now Find More Posts by ChemE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-15-2022, 09:24 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
9,460 Posts
It has excellent throttle response, but it is hard to compare to the DA-120 because I am running cans on the Stinger "125", and the DA- is using RE2 pipes. I have thermocouples on both cylinders and they run within 10F of each other and the plugs look identical so the fuel/air distribution seems good.
I just remembered that I let Mark at CAGS (the big field in my avatar) fly it and his first comment was "I love the throttle response"! I get used to something and forget about it, so having another viewpoint is good. My point is the throttle response is better than my Laser with the DA, but that could very well be (and is likely to be) the differences in the exhaust setups.
The Stinger has a bigger carb, a WJ71, but that seems to be a good choice, it starts easily and has a smooth, consistent idle. The telemetry shows 7400 RPM with a F28-10 in level flight, 6800-6900 static and because this is a test engine, I am trying to break it! I floored it on a downline and saw 8200 RPM and was expecting to hear something bad, but it has been bulletproof. I just received a pair of KS 3086 cans, which have significantly bigger volume than the cans I had before, so I don't know what effect that will have on RPM, sound levels or temps? It is clear that the 28-10 is too little prop on either, because I can rip it bad with either engine, straight up, and I think you have seen me do this! I bought a Falcon 28-11 to try when the weather gets better.
It looks like the DLE-130 has an even bigger carb, but I have not personally flown one.
I would like to see some real world numbers for all the engines in this class.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; 01-15-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by -Rick-
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Feb 2010
158 Posts
I had a EME 60cc a incredible engine, I could take it to the field and have it running in one flip. Cold. I had a very nasty crash and broke the case on it. Since then a bought a RCGF 70cc twin, another great engine for me. When I first started it, out of the box, it started on the the second flip! And I did not have to touch the needles till it started to break in.
Far easier to use than my DA 70cc, but I will admit it needs some help so back to DA with it.
-Rick- is offline Find More Posts by -Rick-
Old 01-15-2022, 12:26 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
9,460 Posts
I have a Stinger 70 as well, but I have not been using it because there has been no Y pipe for a can available, the DA header will not fit and I cannot use the stock so called mufflers from any brand. That will be changing soon.
Old 01-16-2022, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by -Rick-
Canada, ON, Markdale
Joined Feb 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
I have a Stinger 70 as well, but I have not been using it because there has been no Y pipe for a can available, the DA header will not fit and I cannot use the stock so called mufflers from any brand. That will be changing soon.
The 70cc Stinger is the first plane I have ever flown just using the stock muffler's, all my other planes have canisters. The noise from the stinger surprised me, much quieter than I thought it would be. I asked other members at the club if my plane was very noisy, they all said that is wasn't that loud at all.
-Rick- is offline Find More Posts by -Rick-
Old 01-16-2022, 11:27 AM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
9,460 Posts
We put it on a friend's old and very heavy BalsaUSA Cub and it was not too bad, true. It was way overpowered so we flew it at partial throttle much of the time.

Quick Reply