Old 02-13-2022, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Roberts Craft
United States, WA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2022
3 Posts
Discussion
Making a High Start

Good day everyone.

I'm going to be launching a Sig Riser this summer, and after looking at what was available for a high start, I thought maybe I would just build my own.

Can anyone give me some help on where I can purchase the tubing, as well as proper size, length etc. The Riser has a 100 inch wingspan. Not sure on the weight as it's still being built. Just wanted to plan ahead. Thanks for any and all input. Hope your day is going well.
Roberts Craft is offline Find More Posts by Roberts Craft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2022, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by AWorrest
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Nov 2008
500 Posts
It appears that high starts have gone out of style. The two online stores from whom I had purchase high starts have gone out of business and four other online suppliers of soaring material that I’m familiar with don’t carry them. These are the measurements of the two high starts I have. The smaller is ideal for a 2-meter plane and will work for a 100-inch wingspan if not too heavy. The tubing is approximately 9/32 inch OD with a 0.050 inch wall thickness. The tubing is standard latex surgical tubing that one can purchase on Amazon.

My heavier high start was purchased as an assembled unit. It would be too strong for a 100-inch wingspan plane. It was designed for a full-house plane with more than 120 inch wingspan. Unless one is of sturdy stature, it can pull you over when fully stretched. The tubing is 7/16 inch OD with a wall thickness of 0.100 inch. The tubing is latex that has a special outer coating to resist deterioration. I don’t know where one can purchase this.

It has been about fifteen years since I’ve used either high starts but I believe the length of tubing on each is 50 feet. The attached line is at least 300 feet. The fields that I flew on were large. If you are flying on a smaller field, you will have to shorten the high start. If you need more information on high starts, take a look at the RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring forum on RC Universe. One of the articles mentioned there is http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...artphysics.htm which will give you some dimensions.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply