logo
Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by scaflock
My God! IT's full of Gliders!
United States, AZ, Bisbee
Joined May 2009
20 Posts
Ed:

Yeah.... Sandy sure did a number on the east coast. That's one reason I left that side of the country. Out here we only have to worry about heat stroke in the summer and maybe an earth quake or two. I'll take a quake over a hurricane any day. At least they're over quickly!

I actually had the day off yesterday and did a little exploring in my new area. I happened to find the slope the local hang gliders use and it looks like it could be a good slope for flying R/C off of. On my last day off I went out to the local clubs field and checked it out. Great field for power flying but the only sailplane flying you could do would be EP since there is no area to set up a winch or high start. I was kind of bummed about that since that would limit which of my planes I could use there. I still have to check out the club in Douglas and what they have at their field but I'll get around to it soon.

I'm still looking for a place to buy but have narrowed it down thanks to checking out the sector maps (maps for full scale pilots for those that don't know) and seeing just where the MOAs are. (Military Operating Area) I found one outside of controlled air space that will work great. Twenty acres with a 1465 sq/ft 3bd/2ba house that is at on end of the lot and it's nice and level. One of the best features is the price, which is only $55,500!!!! I'll have to do a little clearing to put in the grass for the runway/launching area but that's not going to be that bad to do. Also has a perfect area to set up a 30'X50" shop building to run the business out of. I need to check out flight paths for working on XC (Cross Country) flying but from what I can see on Google Earth, that shouldn't be a problem other than to find a chase driver that's local.

Even though I'm still looking for a place, design and development on the ASP-XC design is still progressing. As soon as I gt the new shop build I'll be starting to build the first prototype and do the first flight tests to see what tweaks will be needed to the design before I start kitting them up. I hope to be able to offer them for sale in the $400-$450 price range including the main hardware needed to finish the kit. Things like hinges I'm going to leave to the buyers since it seems that everyone has their own favorite types to use. NOTE: When this kit hits the market, be sure to buy stock in your favorite covering material company! At 16" + span, it's going to take a LOT of covering materials to skin this one up!!! The Horizontal stab and elevator alone is wider than many gas planes.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
I have been out to a few of my slope sites this winter which overlook the Long Island Sound on the North Shore. Quite a bit of beach erosion. But most of the sites are still flyable. Just, in some cases there is less open beach at the bottom.

Sandy took the rest.
AEAJR is offline Find More Posts by AEAJR
Old 03-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
I am from Bayport Strong Island,but moved away years ago....every time i go back it just kills me what has happened to the beaches .............But i sure would love to bring my Hotliner and rip it up there one day
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
Slope soaring is fun on Long Island. If you are smart you keep the glider near the beach. Of course, I am not smart and like to venture out over the water. Have done it for years.

The wind had shifted so there was no more slope lift but I wanted to fly. So I motored up to about 300 feet and was just gliding. One of the advantages of slope soaring with an e-glider is you can fly even after the slope lift dies.

Saturday it cost me an Easy Glider Electric. Had been flying for an hour with no problems. Put it back up after a break, had it about 200 feet out over the water and BAM, nose dive straight into the water. No idea what happened. Battery was fully charged. I had flown this set-up for several years, never an issue.

Cold water, 37 degrees, 12 mph wind and the wind had shifted to that it was running parallel to the shore. The glider just drifted down the beach 200 feet out where I could not and would not go and get it.

Oh well, that is why I have more than one plane I guess. Farewell my slope soaring friend.
Last edited by AEAJR; 03-05-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
Greetings glider guiders.

Just posted an announcement for an electric sailplane contest in Syosset, NY. This is on Long Island, just 30 miles East of NYC.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=87768
Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
I don't know about you but it has been COLD here on Long Island AND the snow keeps coming. All the flying fields and the slope sites are covered in snow and ice.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
Have you ever seen a man on man launch of gliders at a sailplane contest?

Video from one of our previous ESL contests at LISF - MOM launch
That's me in the tan hat and blue shirt calling the launch
LISF Hosted ESL Thermal Duration Contest - Launching (1 min 1 sec)
Old 11-02-2021, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by Wreape
United States, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Nov 2021
1 Posts
Ava pro.

I have my first competition sailplane. Super Ava Pro 3.7. The covering is great except it's worn some color off sliding in and out of the bags. Should I consider recovering the wing? Thanks for your help and expertise.
Wreape is offline Find More Posts by Wreape
Old 11-02-2021, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreape View Post
I have my first competition sailplane. Super Ava Pro 3.7. The covering is great except it's worn some color off sliding in and out of the bags. Should I consider recovering the wing? Thanks for your help and expertise.

As long as the covering is still firmly attached I would not worry about it.

You might also look into the soaring forums over on RC Groups

https://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-sailplanes-95/
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge

Quick Reply