to remove ads between posts
Old 09-18-2020, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by Peter.Scale
Trader Rating: 0
Canada, ON, Blackstock
Joined May 2017
1 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I nearly got taken by this Mike Stewart, the deal sounded to good for a Balsa Flybaby for nearly half price. He gave me his address to send a Western Union money transfer to, then I question myself looking at the address which he gave a different name (Charles Edward Jackson, 4353 n 91st Street, Apt 2, Milwaukee ). What gave me a hint was who would be building 1/3 scale aircraft in a apartment. A big thanks goes to my wife who said this looks like a scan. I nearly lost a thousand dollars Canadian to this ??????

Anyone live in Milwukee and wants to pay this guy a visit.

Peter
Peter.Scale is offline Find More Posts by Peter.Scale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2020, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by Joser65
Trader Rating: 1
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Sep 2018
32 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Scale View Post
I

Anyone live in Milwukee and wants to pay this guy a visit.

Peter

I am Colombian with a Russian wife, I am sure it can be arranged...
Joser65 is offline Find More Posts by Joser65
Old 09-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Trader Rating: 27
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Its hard to find much info on venmeo, all search engines want to give you vimeo video service web pages. Its a small unregulated payment platform intended for drug deals, money laundering and human trafficking and payments for stolen human organs to transplant. Best bet is Paypal or in person. Never use any other money transfer like Western Express, best western or global money express.
Sorry for your loss.

It's actually Venmo, not "Venmeo". The OP misstated this increasingly popular payment platform that is currently owned by PayPal.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 09-18-2020, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Trader Rating: 6
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
It's basically paypal generic but minus the protection to get your funds back
What I can't understand is if PayPal owns both , why the need for venmo ....it's like we already invented the wheel so let's invent one with a Huge flaw to let scammers run wild....wth
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Last edited by ponyboy082662; 09-18-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Yeah, not sure exactly why it exists in addition to PayPal except that it seems to be more popular with today's younger people than PayPal. It was developed with some social networking aspect, big surprise, eh? There have long been privacy concerns that young people may not be savvy enough to have realized. I recall there are/were certain types of transactions that are much cheaper than PayPal. My son accepts Venmo payments for his music licensing business, as well as Stripe, etc, but tends to avoid using PayPal.

PayPal acquired Venmo about 7 years ago, likely seeing it as rising competition, similar to how and when Farcebook acquired Instagram.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:49 AM
wrongwayfeldman
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Yeah, not sure exactly why it exists in addition to PayPal except that it seems to be more popular with today's younger people than PayPal. It was developed with some social networking aspect, big surprise, eh? There have long been privacy concerns that young people may not be savvy enough to have realized. I recall there are/were certain types of transactions that are much cheaper than PayPal. My son accepts Venmo payments for his music licensing business, as well as Stripe, etc, but tends to avoid using PayPal.

PayPal acquired Venmo about 7 years ago, likely seeing it as rising competition, similar to how and when Farcebook acquired Instagram.
You are right, it does seem to be pop with the kids but also with scammers and less savvy ppl. The one thing I saw reading the info on it....is (as I understand it)....if you transfer funds with other venmo users and both have bank accts granted access to venmo or have money in your Venmo account...they don't charge the 3% to transfer funds. So if I buy an item from you and both of us have venmo..no fee but other than that it's a 3% fee and just like PayPal but without the Insurance. I will stick with paypal.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
It was created for peer-to-peer money transfers between friends. Hence, socially connected young people who are exchanging money between people they know and trust. That's why there's no protection. They only allowed it to be used for purchases a couple of years ago.

For what we do here in FG, it's roughly the same as Friends & Family. No fee, but also no protection, as you've noted. In the grand scheme of things, the 3% PayPal "tax" could be viewed as a buyer protection plan. I never saw that as a bad deal.

I'm amazed when I see ads where a member is willing to cover $8-10 shipping on a $50 item, but only if the buyer pays the PayPal fee. It's less than $2 on a $50 item. Maybe people can't do the math?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:41 AM
wrongwayfeldman
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
It was created for peer-to-peer money transfers between friends. Hence, socially connected young people who are exchanging money between people they know and trust. That's why there's no protection. They only allowed it to be used for purchases a couple of years ago.

For what we do here in FG, it's roughly the same as Friends & Family. No fee, but also no protection, as you've noted. In the grand scheme of things, the 3% PayPal "tax" could be viewed as a buyer protection plan. I never saw that as a bad deal.

I'm amazed when I see ads where a member is willing to cover $8-10 shipping on a $50 item, but only if the buyer pays the PayPal fee. It's less than $2 on a $50 item. Maybe people can't do the math?
Exactly....I don't understand that either....if I'm selling...I just figure the fee in my sale price and never mention it. Much simpler. Like I stated much earlier....when the guy I was talking to about an engine never said you pay the fees and it's a deal....I knew I was done....he wanted F and F..or no deal.....big red flag
Old 10-26-2020, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Fly4funn
Trader Rating: 12
United States, SC, Orangeburg
Joined Apr 2010
37 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Just a heads up about PayPal. Although it is about the safest way to buy something as long as you don't do F&F, there are still loopholes. If the seller can prove he shipped a package to you and the tracking shows that you accepted it, then you are stuck when you open the box and it's a couple bricks or some old boots. Even when using PayPal, use a credit card attached to it, not a bank account or PayPal funds. Ask me how I know....................
Fly4funn is offline Find More Posts by Fly4funn
Old 10-26-2020, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by MadIndian
Trader Rating: 21
United States, NY, Niagara Falls
Joined Apr 2017
8 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Paypal is not the safest way.
Last year I lost $1500 USD to them.
Buyer sent funds all was good, address came up to ship item & that's the address I shipped to.
Next day buyer decided to change address with paypal but it was too late for change on my end.
Item arrived to old address & the new people decided to keep it. It's amazing even the thieves find anyway to steal. So it was not returned back to postal service. I'm not sure if the buyer scammed me or not.
Paypal said they would cover with seller protection policy & it never happened. waited 30days then 60 & 90 still nothing. Paypal kept saying yes it will be in your account & it's over 1 year.
Paypal is not trust worthy. no better then the buyer, buyer reported he changed address & the seller sent to wrong address.
I'm still upset & what do I do, I lost $1500...
MadIndian is offline Find More Posts by MadIndian

Quick Reply