logo
Old 08-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Find More Posts by Eric_04
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Discussion
GP Revolver down

Well, it was a sad day last weekend. I had my first total airplane loss since joining the hobby. It used to be a Great Planes 50cc Revolver... I had about a gallon or so of fuel through it when it made its last flight. Which was a shame, as it was an enjoyable plane to fly. I really started getting more into 3D and aerobatics, which meant I didnt fly the Revolver much. It was a very nice flying plane, quite relaxing.

After doing some forensics on what was left, it seems that the on off switch was the issue. Too low of voltage and the receiver browned out. It was just like someone shut the switch off on the plane, I never received a low signal warning. Just an instant no signal alert. Im kicking myself for not checking the voltage at the receiver before moving the plane, but it was in a corn field and took about 45 minutes to find. And also, if you have ever had to carry a giant scale plane out of 8 foot tall corn you would understand haha. Fortunately, the failsafe worked as programmed. Had the throttle stayed where it was or gone full throttle, that would not have ended well. It was on a path to head into a city, and it would have made it easily had it gone wide open.

I knew it was only a matter of time, but Ive made my first sacrifice to the plane gods. Hopefully that holds them over for a while. Of course, it couldnt have been a $100 plane I bought at a swap meet I guess the only part that really bothers me, is I didnt crash it. I would gladly take the blame if I did, but I literally just stood there moving the sticks hoping it would come back until it crashed. Which is a rude awakening, your plane can take a dirt nap at any moment. Even without your help putting it in the ground haha.
Eric_04 is online now Find More Posts by Eric_04
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,250 Posts
I think that will buff out.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Haha, you must have a heck of a lot better buffer than I do
Old 08-17-2017, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,319 Posts
Sucks. But on the next plane I suggest considering dual switches with dual pack. As you learned so harshly they are often the weak link in the power chain. Lately I've been using the BoomaRC dual hidden switch. Nice product.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 08-17-2017, 12:14 AM
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Sucks. But on the next plane I suggest considering dual switches with dual pack. As you learned so harshly they are often the weak link in the power chain. Lately I've been using the BoomaRC dual hidden switch. Nice product.
I agree, my most recent build is powered by dual batteries using the BoomaRC dual hidden switch. No more slider switches for me.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by Texastbird
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Oct 2008
1,250 Posts
I've lost a plane to a faulty switch before, and it sucks.
Texastbird is offline Find More Posts by Texastbird
Old 08-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I've lost a plane to a faulty switch before, and it sucks.
Yeah me too... Lie the op said....I just stood and watched it fly into the ground and nothing I could do.
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 08-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Kitman
Flying, Friends & Food
United States, OH, Hilliard
Joined Jan 2006
4,176 Posts
SmartFly pin switch, handle all the current and if it fails, it fails on!! Been using them since they started, never a problem.
Kitman is offline Find More Posts by Kitman
Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
270 Posts
I almost lost my Revolver to Miracle switches going out. Luckily it started cutting out on the ground after about 10 flights. I replaced them with Booma pin flags and use nothing else now on all my planes. At least the big 50 and 120cc gassers. You do need to run a power distribution board or receiver with the soft switch feature. I also run dual 2s lipos on everything and use all high voltage equipment. I don't like the idea of a brownout. I tend to engineer that possibilty away.
Mr. Scary is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Old 08-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,319 Posts
the BoomaRC dual hidden switch has a single pin and does not require anything except 2 packs. No power distribution needed. Which is how I like it!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 08-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,360 Posts
Looking at the pic of the damage
pretty easy repair
Sux when that happens but atleast that 1 can be fixed
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 08-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverleyFlyer View Post
Looking at the pic of the damage
pretty easy repair
Sux when that happens but atleast that 1 can be fixed
Pictures can be deceiving. It was parted out and the rest burned in a burn barrel. Could it have been fixed? Sure, if you wanted to invest tons of hours into an arf. Or by spending more money on replacement parts that a new kit costs.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 AM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_04 View Post
Pictures can be deceiving. It was parted out and the rest burned in a burn barrel. Could it have been fixed? Sure, if you wanted to invest tons of hours into an arf. Or by spending more money on replacement parts that a new kit costs.
I am always saddened when people don't repair their planes, this looks a doable repair, I suppose it is an age thing, those who started when assembly kits were all we had and radios were unreliable we all pretty much constantly fixed them up until they got too heavy to fly, and then made a replacement for the worst part from the left over plans. If you need a new canopy, you moulded one, if you need a new cowl make one from balsa, you don't have to spend a fortune, just be a modeller as well as just a flyer.

Cheap ARTFs have made this hobby what it is, but as their cost goes up , sales come down and choice becomes limited it will the ruin of it too, it has killed modelling skills.

Oh, always use 2 switches and 2 batteries, one or the other is the most common cause by far of loss of signal.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,350 Posts
I remember one time a guy crashed his plane and threw it in the trash. I went over and took all the pieces out of the trash and took it home and repaired it and flew it all the next year until I dumb thumbed it. I could have fixed it again, but that time I was ready to move on to bigger and better planes.

Even though it seemed totalled, the repair was not nearly as bad in hours of time as one would think. Plus it was a lot of fun tinkering with it from a challenge standpoint and then seeing if fly again.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by 3ddave
United States, MN, Eagan
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
Real indicator of a hard core builder/flyer is to be mentally picking out a replacement model on the way to the crash site. Bag up every piece you can find and put away for a week or two THEN take a look. You'll probably discover it wasn't so bad after all and hey, I can fix this.
fly low...fly safe
3ddave is offline Find More Posts by 3ddave
Last edited by 3ddave; 08-18-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply