Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
28x Fanboy
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2014
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
the BoomaRC dual hidden switch has a single pin and does not require anything except 2 packs. No power distribution needed. Which is how I like it!
I always forget about that one! Good point.
Mr. Scary is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Scary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by machzx
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Mar 2012
481 Posts
i love the Jetti switches
machzx is offline Find More Posts by machzx
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Eric_04
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Jan 2017
427 Posts
Yes, like I said, anything can be repaired if one wants to devote the time and effort to do so. I already had a different airframe in mind, and after this incident I now have an engine for it. I kept various pieces of wood for future minor repairs and got rid of the rest. And I know it absolutely kills some people that just have to save every last scrap. No thanks, I don't need my house over run by scrap airplane junk that will never get used.

And once again, the one single picture does not show much of the damage. I know some people just need to give their speech that arf's are the downfall of the hobby. Woodworking is not my thing, I'm not interested in it. Guess that means I shouldn't fly at all. That would probably be more beneficial to the hobby.

And by the way, I'm not mad. I just get a kick out of people telling others they don't enjoy the hobby properly. Out of the handful of other members that were there when it crashed, it was a unanimous decision. Plane is junk, nobody wanted it. And yes, that includes members who have been building and flying for 30+ years.
Eric_04 is online now Find More Posts by Eric_04
Last edited by Eric_04; 08-18-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
I am always saddened when people don't repair their planes, this looks a doable repair, I suppose it is an age thing, those who started when assembly kits were all we had and radios were unreliable we all pretty much constantly fixed them up until they got too heavy to fly, and then made a replacement for the worst part from the left over plans. If you need a new canopy, you moulded one, if you need a new cowl make one from balsa, you don't have to spend a fortune, just be a modeller as well as just a flyer.

Cheap ARTFs have made this hobby what it is, but as their cost goes up , sales come down and choice becomes limited it will the ruin of it too, it has killed modelling skills.

Oh, always use 2 switches and 2 batteries, one or the other is the most common cause by far of loss of signal.
I agree, I would rather repair a model than but another ARF, The cost of ARF.s go up but the quality of the wood gets worse, I have even scrapped a few new in box ARF's due to the quality of the wood and build quality,
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 08-20-2017, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
SmartFly pin switch, handle all the current and if it fails, it fails on!! Been using them since they started, never a problem.
YES!!! Also the Booma batt. share switch handles dual batteries and has a pin switch so that you never have voltage going through your power switch. If you're a Spektrum user use a power safe RX.

I wont run power through a switch ever.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 08-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Australia, WA, Midland
Joined Aug 2010
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_04 View Post
Yes, like I said, anything can be repaired if one wants to devote the time and effort to do so. I already had a different airframe in mind, and after this incident I now have an engine for it. I kept various pieces of wood for future minor repairs and got rid of the rest. And I know it absolutely kills some people that just have to save every last scrap. No thanks, I don't need my house over run by scrap airplane junk that will never get used.

And once again, the one single picture does not show much of the damage. I know some people just need to give their speech that arf's are the downfall of the hobby. Woodworking is not my thing, I'm not interested in it. Guess that means I shouldn't fly at all. That would probably be more beneficial to the hobby.

And by the way, I'm not mad. I just get a kick out of people telling others they don't enjoy the hobby properly. Out of the handful of other members that were there when it crashed, it was a unanimous decision. Plane is junk, nobody wanted it. And yes, that includes members who have been building and flying for 30+ years.
Im currently rebuilding a model that is in worse condition than yours fuselage about the same and also 1 wing half, In the amount of time it would have taken me to drive to the hobby shop decide on a new model drive home and start assembly I had all the parts cut and most glued back together for the fraction of the cost of a new ARF, also if I purchase a new ARF I would still haveto reglue most of the gluejoints and replace most of the enginebox etc with decent quality ply, reinforce undercarriage block Replace all the hardware and fuel tank etc,
Build kits are the way to go but they are few and far between these days,
BeverleyFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BeverleyFlyer
Old 08-25-2017, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
8,177 Posts
this was my revolver

It too was a fun plane. Lesson learned for me, do not use servos with plastic gears.
orthobird is online now Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
www.baddogsmokes.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
347 Posts
A little off topic, but anyone running with ca hinges these days? How about sealing hinge seams? I did both, but I'm now having second thoughts on the ca hinges for the long run. Running a dle 20RA and its holding up alright so far.
I should just do it in the off season, but I did a funky tailwheel pull pull system off the OE tailwheel nylon bushing that I changed up. Cutting the rudder off would make a mess of it.
Maybe I just do the ailerons and elevator halves for piece of mind.

** should have mentioned this being my 70" revolver. The 90" is pin hinges most definitely.**
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Last edited by crankcase; 08-25-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by Frtdrmrose7
United States, FL, Ocoee
Joined Aug 2017
112 Posts
I have an Ikon N'west Beaver and almost suffered your fate, my on/off switch shorted out on approach and the plane landed itself (thank god it was only 5 feet above the runway)
Frtdrmrose7 is offline Find More Posts by Frtdrmrose7
Old 08-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Find More Posts by Frtdrmrose7
United States, FL, Ocoee
Joined Aug 2017
112 Posts
AnyThing that has a gasser gets pin hinges, CA hinges are sketchy at best with all of the vibrations.

QUOTE=crankcase;2673390]A little off topic, but anyone running with ca hinges these days? How about sealing hinge seams? I did both, but I'm now having second thoughts on the ca hinges for the long run. Running a dle 20RA and its holding up alright so far.
I should just do it in the off season, but I did a funky tailwheel pull pull system off the OE tailwheel nylon bushing that I changed up. Cutting the rudder off would make a mess of it.
Maybe I just do the ailerons and elevator halves for piece of mind.

** should have mentioned this being my 70" revolver. The 90" is pin hinges most definitely.**[/QUOTE]
Frtdrmrose7 is offline Find More Posts by Frtdrmrose7

Quick Reply