Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
IMAC NE RD
United States, VA, Gainesville
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Discussion
Sportsman help

I signed up for my first Sportsman event, and I have a question about how best to fly one of the maneuvers. It's maneuvers 4 and 5 (shark tooth and humpty bump) that have me asking questions.

My problem is that it's really easy in those cross box maneuvers to either not have a level line between or end up finishing up the humpty bump way far away.

Is the idea to square the corners as much as possible and then do a long, slow push over the top on the humpty bump to get back to the same position as you started with the downline of the shark tooth? Where I question is usually a humpty bump has a pretty small radius on top, but if I do that I think I end up way out of position.

Dave
gobigdave is offline Find More Posts by gobigdave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-29-2018, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
The crossbox maneuver can be flown either out or in and is there to help you get back in position if you end up being to far out, or in, leading up to it. Make the line between the maneuvers as short as possible, but still a noticeable line, and make the top radius whatever you need to get lined back up. I tend to make the vertical up line of the humpty taller if I need to make the top radius larger. That way I don't end up feeling rushed on the vertical downline after such a long top radius. There's no reason the humpty would need to have a small radius on top. That's just how some choose to fly them.

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 06-30-2018, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Everything Scott has said, I agree with. But something else to consider when flying IMAC is the wind.

Let's say, you are flying and the wind is pushing the plane further away from you as you fly, even with your best rudder correction, you can still keep it in. However, when you do the cross box, if you go out with the humpty, then with the crossing it will further go out than you may expect. next thing you know, then you will really be way out there. This is one time you may chose to come in. ON the other hand, let's say the wind has tendency to be pushing you in, then this is when you will decide to go out with the roll, that way, you can help keep it out.

Hope this helps, my point being, also consider the wind direction when you decide whether or not to go out or come in.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Last edited by orthobird; 06-30-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:08 AM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Thanks guys. I will just make that push over as big as I need.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 AM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Practice and learn to take it in as well as out. As mention by others, it'll make life a lot easier in strong crosswinds and make you a better pilot!
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 06-30-2018, 12:19 PM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
I see what you’re saying. So if the wind is in my face, I could do the humpty bump going out to help my position. I was following the aresti which seems to indicate the humpty bump always coming in.

Thanks. Now I have something else to practice. My first contest with Sportsman is in 2 weeks. It’s actually only my second contest. I flew Basic at my first, but I was convinced that I should move up.

Dave
Old 06-30-2018, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Dave.....yes, on any maneuver that exits crossbox, the pilot can choose which direction they wish to go. The Aresti is only drawn in one direction to simplify things on paper.
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 06-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Just as a clarification, the Aresti must be flown in the direction as depicted on the X- axis and it is pilot's choice on the Y-axis.

from the rule book:

e.
The figure must be the one depicted on the flimsy (Form B or C) appropriate to the direction of the flight chosen by the pilot to perform and flown in its proper order within the sequence. For figures with a Y-axis component, it is the pilot’s discretion, in addition to fly inbound or out bound, as to which direction to fly the turn, left or right. For Family 9, Rotational Elements it is the pilot’s discretions to which direction to perform the roll or first roll, if it is unlinked roll combination. In all cases, the figure flown must have the entry and exit direction as depicted on the flimsy appropriate to the direction of flight chosen by the pilot to perform (Form B or C) in the X-axis.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 06-30-2018, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
I see what you’re saying. So if the wind is in my face, I could do the humpty bump going out to help my position. I was following the aresti which seems to indicate the humpty bump always coming in.

Thanks. Now I have something else to practice. My first contest with Sportsman is in 2 weeks. It’s actually only my second contest. I flew Basic at my first, but I was convinced that I should move up.

Dave

I think you will find it much easier to fly out rather than in. Practice both ways in case it's needed. But if your positioning is good prior to the crossbox, try going out. You'll have much more time to complete the maneuver without being rushed, and therefore making it present better.

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 AM
Find More Posts by Guille2017
www.alelilaser.com
Italia, Emilia-Romagna, Serramazzoni
Joined Jan 2017
169 Posts
Dave; here attached there is the judge guide for the sportman. You have there all you need to know regarding to the radii and corrections. Use it to study and to practise; it's what we made and use here in Italy.
Regards;
Guille2017 is offline Find More Posts by Guille2017
Old 07-10-2018, 08:36 AM
IMAC NE RD
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Thanks! I found that guide earlier. It's been extremely helpful while I practice.

Dave

Quick Reply