logo
Old 12-09-2019, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by YoungBuck
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Dec 2019
1 Posts
Help!
Newbie needs help-CarbonCub setup

Hey guys I’ve been flying helis for some time now but just bought my first real airplane. It’s a hanger 9 CC 1/5 scale. I’m planning on flying with skis as well as pontoons.
My question is- horizon suggests that I use the E flite power 60 but I think I want more power for the water take offs so what should I go with? And does scorpion make an airplane motor that’s comparable?
Also I think I’m gonna go with the castle talon 90 just because I already have the field programmer and cables that I need for set up.
My next question is servos-are all servos full size including the rudder servos for the floats? Or do I need slim servos for the ailerons?
Excuse my ignorance, like I said this is my first real rc airplane. It’s already shipped out so there’s no turning back now.
And one other thing Herizon said I need some type of prop adapter for the electric version but was out of stock? Does anyone the right type or style so I can buy it at a different hobby shop?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
YoungBuck is offline Find More Posts by YoungBuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-10-2019, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by ron_van_sommeren
uomo ludens modellesticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Apr 2009
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck View Post
... I’m planning on flying with skis as well as pontoons. ...
... Horizon suggests that I use the E flite power 60 but I think I want more power for the water take offs so what should I go with? ...
Dedicated subforum
www.rcgroups.com/waterplanes-174

Quote:
... And does scorpion make an airplane motor that’s comparable?...
As a rule of thumb, motormass is a good indicator for max.current and max. power. Any motor with same Kv and (more) mass would do.
Both current and power drawn are proportional to Kv cubed therefore Kv should not differ too much.

Quote:
... It’s a hanger 9 CC 1/5 scale. ...
... like I said this is my first real rc airplane. ...
I would shelve it for now because you have little/no fixed wing flying experience and because of the powerlevel.
Probably safer/better/simpler/easier/cheaper/safer to start with a low power plane, motor setup, learning curve and all. To get some e-routine and e-knowledge (e.g. motorcurrent is not proportional to voltage!) with a cheap setup and plane?
I would learn the (e-)ropes/routine/knowledge/experience with a less powerfull model, cheaper setup.

E-motors can start all of a sudden, without warning, with full torque available right from zero rpm up to full rpm, merrily hacking away at fingers, limbs, private parts, with full and unstoppable force.
Motor and/or controller can go up in smoke in an instant, without the warning you get when an IC motor starts to run lean. And once the smoke is out, you can't put it back in.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
ron_van_sommeren is offline Find More Posts by ron_van_sommeren
Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 12-10-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by ron_van_sommeren
uomo ludens modellesticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Apr 2009
231 Posts
Some well-structured reading for rainy/windy days, including two e-books, and some handy e-tools as well. Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And pleasepleaseplease, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Keep battery-/-watt-/multi-meter wires short!
too long wires batteryside will kill ESC over time: precautions, solutions & workarounds

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
• Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
e-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC
ron_van_sommeren is offline Find More Posts by ron_van_sommeren
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys I’ve been flying helis for some time now but just bought my first real airplane. It’s a hanger 9 CC 1/5 scale. I’m planning on flying with skis as well as pontoons.
My question is- horizon suggests that I use the E flite power 60 but I think I want more power for the water take offs so what should I go with? And does scorpion make an airplane motor that’s comparable?
Also I think I’m gonna go with the castle talon 90 just because I already have the field programmer and cables that I need for set up.
My next question is servos-are all servos full size including the rudder servos for the floats? Or do I need slim servos for the ailerons?
Excuse my ignorance, like I said this is my first real rc airplane. It’s already shipped out so there’s no turning back now.
And one other thing Herizon said I need some type of prop adapter for the electric version but was out of stock? Does anyone the right type or style so I can buy it at a different hobby shop?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

My question is this. How good are you with a heli?? I thinknyour transition from rotorary wing to fixed wing is much easier than fixed wing to rotary wing.

But I would fly off grass or asphalt to start with. Get your wings wet, so to speak, that way. Skis dont really change the flying characteristic, but floats do, a little.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle

Quick Reply