logo
Old 01-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts
Pat Hartness and Kirby McKinney - flying buds.

Pat Hartness and Kirby McKinney - flying buds.
Published on: January 1, 2006
Written by: Bob "Biff" Sadler

Just mention his name and the first things you think of are Triple Tree Aerodrome or the Joe Nall. Pat is the owner/ developer/ visionary of the best flying site I've ever seen. Triple Tree is home to several world class events throughout the year and has become one of the best known flying complex's model aviation has to offer.

A driven businessman, Pat has lead the industry in bottling/packaging machines. The revolutionary designs and custom applications have made his brand name synonymous with quality and trouble free operations. After a days work, Pat enjoys heading to Triple Tree for an afternoon of renovating the facility and some aviating. It's still a work in progress!

For those of you who have never met Mr. Pat, I'd like to take a moment and share some thoughts about a friend and flying buddy I've known for quite a long time. To really give you an idea about Pat, I need to include another special character. Pat's lifelong flying partner, Mr. Kirby McKinney. These two guys are constantly in motion and love nothing better than giving each other some good-natured guff!

I set down with both of these guys separately as I knew what would happen if I let them team up on me! Both have “the sickness” as Kirby refers to modeling. Both are mechanically minded beyond what the good Lord normally dishes out and both are people I respect. Put these two together and you have a good time on four legs!

Kirby is the straw boss on most everything we do. He and Pat traveled the fly-in/ contest circuit together back in the day. Both were put off by being treated like numbers at most events they attended. The first giant scale event they held was called the Greenville Giant Scale fly-in. Kirby, Pat and 11 other pilots comprised the entire pilot pool. The order of the day was Fun, Fellowship and Hospitality. These three words have been the cornerstone of success with what is now known as the Joe Nall. From 13 pilots to closing on 600, only the scale has changed. Treating all in attendance with respect is the real reason the event has grown.

Kirby started modeling young. Free flight, control line, escapement etc. “I remember the first glow plug I ever saw, made by Arden. My brother brought one home with some glow fuel. Neither one of us thought it would ever replace the ignition system with all their complexities. First thing that happened is the glow fuel ate through the fuel reservoir, that made my brother mad. Then after the motor was running (pretty well!) all the paint came off his airplane,,,, now that really pissed him off!”

I asked Mr. McKinney some questions I thought you might enjoy. Let me preface this by stating he’s a builder's builder and he's great about saying what's on his mind. What do you think about ARF's? “I love 'em! I think they will give “the sickness” to folks who don't have the facility or capability.” What do you think is the main reason the Joe Nall has become so popular? “ We’ve never had the first conversation about how to get more folks there. We run it just like a local fly-in,,, just lots more boiled shrimp! Fun, Fellowship and Hospitality pretty well sum it up. Treat everyone with respect, make sure they have a belly full at the BBQ and just remember they are the reason we do this. Airplanes are great, but the people are the real magic.”

My favorite “Kirby-isms” ; “Does a squirrel have a climbing gear?” “That fit's like a bug shirt” “ Ask no questions, offer no suggestions” “ If your output exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your down fall” “ I out dumbed him” How you doing Kirby? Answer #1. "Best you ever saw" answer #2 "Can't tell it." (both mean all is well)

Pat comes by flying honestly. His mother Edna Hartness was South Carolina’s 2nd licensed pilot His father Tom “the Captain ”is a licensed pilot as well. Being an AMA member since the age of 9 and never missing a year without flying models, Pat's love of models and flying friends seems to grow every year.

Mr. Pat's first RC flight ended with the plane's nose planted in a pile of cow manure.Something should have told him where this hobby was headed! When asked about what the hobby has done for him, Pat answered quickly. “ First of all all the fellowship this hobby brings is phenomenal. Then you throw in the fact that there are endless facets and constantly changing technology. It just keeps getting better.I also owe a great deal of my ability to design machines to modeling. Building aircraft, outfitting the electronics, figuring out geometry of controls etc, has taught me that you can do anything as long as you have the commitment to make it work no matter what. This hobby can teach you a bunch of skills that carry over directly to the work place.”

I then asked about Triple Tree. “ I was in Wyoming skiing when I got the call from Kirby and a couple buds. WE FOUND IT, SEND A CHECK!! I came home and went to see the place. I knew this would be our new spot.” (At that juncture folks, Triple Tree was a big chunk of soulless dirt. No lake, no nothing.) “I knew if my buddy Kirby could see what was to be ,I could too!” Pat built a 3,000 foot dam, added the gazebo, hangar, bathrooms and showers and just never stopped.

Our club has no officers, elections or formal meetings. Our meetings consist of food, fellowship and we might even discuss some club business. I asked how this format came to be. “Well we just don’t take ourselves too seriously. We're all friends, we all have opinions and we all leave feeling good about the time spent. Pretty much everyone in our host club has a job to do and they always do it. Don’t need officers if that happens.”

Noise is a serious issue for modelers these days. Pat had this to say. “We had the Joe Nall for years at my other field. The neighbors got tired of ithe noise and it simply had to stop. Triple Tree is out in the middle of the country, but I’ve got friends with homes close by and more coming. If I get ran out of there I simply won’t build another facility. That will be it.”

Coolest full scale you’ve ever flown? “My Spartan Executive. Solid airplane, love it.” Coolest thing you've seen in modeling? “ Hmmmm,,,, Watching a plane hover for the first time,, Frank Noll. You know what? The second was watching Scott Foster go backwards with his electric.” What are your thoughts on 3D? “ I think it’s awesome that we are the guys waiting on the full scale akybatical boys to catch up. I love it!” Future of RC? “I think there will always be a pile of Odd-Wadds having a blast with R-planes.” Any parting bits of wisdom you'd like to pass on to fellow Flying Giants? “ Keep it out of the dirt!”

"Every event we host at Triple Tree is as fun and stress free as we can make it. You will never be hollered at here. If you do get dressed down come find me and we'll straighten it out PRONTO! We are all about safety,having fun and fellowship. Our host group shares my vision, so I would like to invite all AMA members to come to our field and see what we're doing. You will have a spendid time. As long as you respect fellow modelers and the facility we'll treat you like family."

Pat Hartness and Kirby McKinney are some great friends and super people. I don’t think anyone has written about how much these lifelong friends have accomplished by working together. Both are quick to point to the other for credit on any project (unless the other guy is with in earshot!) I think they pretty much sum up the best part of modeling for me; It diminishes everything to do it by yourself. Sharing a friendship and a common interest are the salt and pepper in the meal of life.

Being able to call Triple Tree my home field and the Confederate Air Farce my flying club is an honor. Without these two guys doing all they have accomplished together, I would certainly never have gotten to do all the neat things I've been blessed with in the hobby. Thanks guys!

Biff Sadler

Check out Triple Tree events at www.JoeNall.com

Photos from top down
Biff and Pat
Pat digging,,,and digging,, and digging!!
Pat and the late Mr. Bob Godfrey. What a friend!
Pat's new lawn mower,,, seriously!
Flying buddies for many years. Pat Hartness and Kirby McKinney

Bob "Biff" Sadler :
Bob "Biff" Sadler, also known as The Mouth of The South is the Co-Editor for The Leading Edge. An accomplished full scale pilot and hobby enthusiast since 1967.

biff@flyinggiants.com
Other Articles »
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by parksle2
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2008
1 Posts
Re: Pat Hartness and Kirby McKinney - flying buds.

Pat forgot to mention under the cow manure was a rock to ad insult to injury. the other issue was it was on the North East corner of the down town Greenville airport, try flying RC planes in an area like that today. Also Edna dropped us off that day to fly.
parksle2 is offline Find More Posts by parksle2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply