logo
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by GooberRC
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2020
3 Posts
Question
Getting started - which plane, components?

Hi Folks,
I recently got back into RC after several years away. In the past I have always been more of a haphazard flier, not much of a plan just have some fun. That was fine but I am definitely interested in learning some real control for a change and IMAC style flying is very appealing. I doubt I'll fly in competitions, although I guess I wouldn't entirely rule it out. For now though let's just assume I'm looking for the right equipment to start building some skills and be able to fly some pattern stuff without having to fight the plane all the time.
Everything I have flown up to now has been electric, so I'm hoping you folks can point me towards something not too huge to get me up and running. Would around 60" be feasible without compromising too much on stability in the air? I've been ogling some of the PA stuff such as the XR-61 but the more I look the more I realize I don't know what I should be looking for! Is light and floaty bad for precision aerobatics or is it an advantage?
I don't have much interest in 3D for now, so if there are design and build choices that favor IMAC style flight to the detriment of 3D, then I'm totally onboard with that.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Looking forward to learning more!

Brendan.
GooberRC is offline Find More Posts by GooberRC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by WACO LOCO
Waco..Sounds like "Taco"
United States, AL, Moulton
Joined Dec 2016
222 Posts
Check out AJ aircraft...

Might find something there ...
WACO LOCO is offline Find More Posts by WACO LOCO
Old 09-04-2020, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Keeping in mind there are 37,000 great ideas on how to approach IMAC, let me just share my
own opinions. I went from small planes to 40% one small step at a time. looking back, I'd have spent a lot less money and time starting out with maybe a 100cc rather than 50cc 85cc 100cc 120cc and
finally 150cc then 170cc and then 200cc and 222cc...……….Can you see a lot of money going out?
So IF you have the proper skills and money to operate a larger plane, then consider a 100cc or
larger up front. If you know you don't have enough skills yet then be more reserved. But in IMAC,
I have found that 100cc is kind of a minimum for competition, anything less is anticlimactic...
The smaller planes just don't fly as well and that is why almost everyone flys bigger in IMAC.
Also find a mentor and learn much from those above you. I have been in IMAC for a dozen
years and learn new stuff often! A great 100-120cc plane combination might be the EF Lazer
and a DA 100/120 on cans. hopefully this helps and I am sure there are many others on here
with great ideas...good luck
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 PM
Joined Sep 2020
3 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Some good food for thought. I definitely get the concept of taking several interim size steps as not necessarily being the best approach. Or at least not the most cost effective at any rate. I’ve made that mistake in other endeavors so I appreciate the reminder. I will keep it mind for sure, as I try to balance how ready I feel to put an expensive ship in the air :-)
Old 09-05-2020, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Casa Grande
Joined May 2015
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberRC View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Some good food for thought. I definitely get the concept of taking several interim size steps as not necessarily being the best approach. Or at least not the most cost effective at any rate. I’ve made that mistake in other endeavors so I appreciate the reminder. I will keep it mind for sure, as I try to balance how ready I feel to put an expensive ship in the air :-)
No matter what airframe & powerplant you decide on PLEASE download Peter Goldsmith's trim chart http://geodza.com/PMAC_Web_2012_live...dsmithTrim.pdf
It is a wealth of information to help trim your plane and help the plane help you....less work in a maneuver lets you concentrate on the rest of the flight.
That being said depending on how much you want to invest and how competent you are with flying gas planes will determine how big you want to start with.
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Www.northwestrc.com Tim can help you with what you need, and he’s in Bonney Lake.
Dan767 is offline Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 09-05-2020, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2020
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnow View Post
No matter what airframe & powerplant you decide on PLEASE download Peter Goldsmith's trim chart http://geodza.com/PMAC_Web_2012_live...dsmithTrim.pdf
It is a wealth of information to help trim your plane and help the plane help you....less work in a maneuver lets you concentrate on the rest of the flight.
That being said depending on how much you want to invest and how competent you are with flying gas planes will determine how big you want to start with.
Already done. That is excellent stuff and exactly the kind of detail I'm looking for. I feel like I have never trimmed a plane in my life after reading that. I guess that's fairly accurate too! lol.

As for gas, I would definitely rather stick with electric, at least for now. If I get totally hooked, you never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan767 View Post
Www.northwestrc.com Tim can help you with what you need, and he’s in Bonney Lake.
Thanks for that. I'll have a close look.

One more question for you guys. Do you feel there is an advantage to having a super lightweight frame, like the PrecisionAerobatics.com stuff, or is a little more heft helpful with maintaining momentum in flight, keeping things looking a little smoother etc. ??
Old 09-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Just a bit heavier is helpful on windier days but other than that, being lighter will
create better flying in many maneuvers. Its a mixed bag to some extent. I have flown
both and all in all I prefer a lighter airframe to a point. BTW electrics are a nice way to go
but on the bigger plane, I recall they didn't seem to have the capacity to stay up for two
complete sequences in IMAC...…….but perhaps things have changed?
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 09-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by Laserdude
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Oct 2015
102 Posts
Just a bit of background so you know where I am coming from. I have flown RC since '82 (yep I am an old dude) and I started flying IMAC around "88. That's when we were flying 60 to 120 glow powered planes. When Midwest came out with their 80" Extra we all though it was huge. That's going back a long ways but it's to say you can definitely fly IMAC routines without going to 35 to 40% size. There is no doubt that it is easier to fly the routines with the bigger planes but you can successfully fly IMAC routines with a smaller plane.

With what is available today I would not go with a 60" model. I have many flights on an electric powered 73" model flying IMAC routines and since you want to stay with electric I think that is a good size. I would not go smaller. I find electric power is very efficient up to 35cc class air frames. If you go much bigger than that the expense goes way up for batteries, chargers, escs, and motors. I do have a 50cc Extra but it is gas powered. I will say again and as others have said, flying the routines is easier with the bigger plane and as you go bigger it gets easier. But since you are looking to fly IMAC to improve your skills and for your own satisfaction a 30 - 35cc (70" to 78") electric powered plane should give you a great starter.

Look at Extreme Flight models and in their descriptions they will give suggested electric power setups. And, make sure you use good servos, they make all the difference.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude

Quick Reply