logo
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by cliff600
Palmyra, Va.
Joined Mar 2006
1,344 Posts
It tells me that I do not have a JRE installed, but i do. I actually installed 2 and I can not get either on to get in the path to make the program open....or something like that. Do you know what I need to do?
cliff600 is offline Find More Posts by cliff600
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff600 View Post
It tells me that I do not have a JRE installed, but i do. I actually installed 2 and I can not get either on to get in the path to make the program open....or something like that. Do you know what I need to do?
I'm assuming you are talking about Eclispe and Windows...

I'm actually windows stupid. I have been dealing with *Unix and MAC command line for around 10 years now and that is when I gave up on learning about windows, Windows is way too insecure for my tastes especially since I'm a senior computer network security analyst

However, you need to know where you installed the JRE and then tell Eclispe where it is as well as editing the path for Windows. IN Win98 and XP, to edit the path you went to the My computer icon on the desktop, right click it, chose properties, then Advanced and you will see where and how to edit the PATH statement.

I do have a Windows 7 system here at work and to get to the PATH area right click MY Computer, chose properties, chose advanced system settings, chose environment variables and under system variables, find Path in the list, highlight it and chose edit and add the EXACT location to the JRE you installed

Hopefully someone else can help you on that one
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by brandonduley
Let's go flying!!
United States, OH, Waynesville
Joined Mar 2007
27,056 Posts
is there a specific location you went to download all the necessary programs needed to start and Android App?
brandonduley is offline Find More Posts by brandonduley
Old 05-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonduley View Post
is there a specific location you went to download all the necessary programs needed to start and Android App?
Yon need the Android SDK, Eclipse and some way to design the actual interface. The SDK and Eclipse are all typing, no point and click at all and this is the basis for the App. The interface creator, and there are tons of them, is a cross between point and click and typing because you have to match it to your code

Start here

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Download the version you need, then follow the instructions to do the install

You then will need ALL Android version from 1.6 to 3.1 so you can test against them all so be sure to read on how to install those. You should also have some kind of Android device that you can install and test on. You should be familiar with completely removing and reinstalling the Android operating system on your device.

After all of that, download Eclipse (Classic) not any other version and install it. I have tons of electronic books on developing for Android if you want them. Send me a PM with your email address.

I'm going to be completely clear here. This is not the easiest thing to do and is not simply pointing and clicking, there is a lot of typing involved. To give you an idea, my IMAC Lite app for Apple is just shy of 17,000 lines of code, not including comments and empty lines. I can find out what Nick's line count is but I'd bet once he is all down, he'll be close to mine.

I expect the code count for this App to easily reach 30,000 lines to give it all that the people are asking for

It can be very very time consuming and you need to be able to have the time to support your Application and upgrade/change it as needed.

In short, you either like doing this type of work or you do not, a lot of people think it's easy and they get started only to find out that it is not their "cup of tea". It is a lot of work and to do a proper app you must take the time to read and learn and not be in a hurry, within reason.

One final thing, IMAC Lite is pretty much done with some minor updates I myself want to add, I have tracked the total time since I started in back in early December 2010 and I have 90.7 total hours in it or the course of 5 months and I type at 80 words per min. and the Apple SDK is about 1/2 point and click.

YouTube is a good place to start, just search for Android SDK examples and start watching videos, you could learn a lot from the videos, enough to actually follow along and build your own App

I can help a little bit with Android but I can defer some of the questions to Nick or another guy I am working with in Australia named Dan

Brandon, I think I have your email address already, I seem to remember you sending me an email not to long ago I think ???
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Let's go flying!!
Joined Mar 2007
27,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagates View Post
Yon need the Android SDK, Eclipse and some way to design the actual interface. The SDK and Eclipse are all typing, no point and click at all and this is the basis for the App. The interface creator, and there are tons of them, is a cross between point and click and typing because you have to match it to your code

Start here

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Download the version you need, then follow the instructions to do the install

You then will need ALL Android version from 1.6 to 3.1 so you can test against them all so be sure to read on how to install those. You should also have some kind of Android device that you can install and test on. You should be familiar with completely removing and reinstalling the Android operating system on your device.

After all of that, download Eclipse (Classic) not any other version and install it. I have tons of electronic books on developing for Android if you want them. Send me a PM with your email address.

I'm going to be completely clear here. This is not the easiest thing to do and is not simply pointing and clicking, there is a lot of typing involved. To give you an idea, my IMAC Lite app for Apple is just shy of 17,000 lines of code, not including comments and empty lines. I can find out what Nick's line count is but I'd bet once he is all down, he'll be close to mine.

I expect the code count for this App to easily reach 30,000 lines to give it all that the people are asking for

It can be very very time consuming and you need to be able to have the time to support your Application and upgrade/change it as needed.

In short, you either like doing this type of work or you do not, a lot of people think it's easy and they get started only to find out that it is not their "cup of tea". It is a lot of work and to do a proper app you must take the time to read and learn and not be in a hurry, within reason.

One final thing, IMAC Lite is pretty much done with some minor updates I myself want to add, I have tracked the total time since I started in back in early December 2010 and I have 90.7 total hours in it or the course of 5 months and I type at 80 words per min. and the Apple SDK is about 1/2 point and click.

YouTube is a good place to start, just search for Android SDK examples and start watching videos, you could learn a lot from the videos, enough to actually follow along and build your own App

I can help a little bit with Android but I can defer some of the questions to Nick or another guy I am working with in Australia named Dan

Brandon, I think I have your email address already, I seem to remember you sending me an email not to long ago I think ???
thanks for all the info. I know its not an easy thing to do, was just wanting to mess around with it and see if could do anything. I barely have any free time as it is, so designing anything that will work properly and efficiently is most likely out of the question. I was mainly just curious to see what all has to go into making one.
and my email is brandonduley@hotmail.com if you want to send those links, but its not really a big deal.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
You can check this out

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

You can build custom apps for Android and place them on your own device but not put them in the marketplace the very first android version of IMAC Lite was done on this
Old 05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Let's go flying!!
Joined Mar 2007
27,056 Posts
will check it out
Old 05-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
I have a very basic beta version of the RC Log Book app ready for testing

I am looking for 3 - 5 people to test. The first 5 that contact me at imacapp@comcast.net get the first beta version to mess with

I'll be sending 2 files, the app itself and the provision profile so you can install it, plus a link to directions for installing it using itunes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
All,

I was just informed of a very similar app in the iTunes store and took a look at it and it is very much like mine so Apple would never approve it's posting. All development work on my version is stopped until I can come up with something different.

See this link

http://web.me.com/thomas.e.willis/Cl...RCLogbook.html

If you have seen a need for an app, I'd be more than happy to listen to any ideas you have*
Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Find More Posts by Python3d
Joined Apr 2010
130 Posts
I am disappointed that the development effort was stopped.

Bill it sure seems like Apple approves Apps that are very similar, so why would they not approve yours? (Do a search on "weather" and see how many similar Apps there are.)

I know a lot of the guys in my club were waiting on your App because of your proven track record on the IMAC App. You stay on top of that App and are constantly updating it. You are very responsive to user suggestions.

You were also going to have a lower price point so I'm sure you'd give the other App a run for their money. The "other" App sells for $4.99 which is cheap if it works. The problem is a lot of people have paid for Apps that fall short. At your lower price more people would buy it, not just because of the lower price but because of the lower risk (knowing how you continually improve your Apps, the risk is lower because we know you'd fix any issues).
Python3d is offline Find More Posts by Python3d
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Actually, I understand what you are saying when it comes to apps being similar so after some serious thought, I did something a little different. I'm waiting to release it until Dec. when I plan to release a major update to IMAC Lite that will include a lot of things people have been asking for. Both will have a small fee, the major upgrade to IMAC lite will be a one time charge of 99 cents and I'm deciding on the price of the logbook but I suspect it will be around the same price as the major update.

As far as the logbook in the store now. I bought it and while it's not too bad, it is limited in some respects, mainly what we as IMAC pilots consider small planes like electrics, with good battery tracking, flight times and such, where as my version has everything the current one has plus some things specific to IMAC flying, helicopters, gas/glow fuel and engines, etc.... I'm trying to decide if I want to include things for cars/trucks but in all honesty, I do not know of anyone that runs cars and trucks that would use such an app.

The whole thing about the logbook was learning to deal with small databases and setting up the relations between all the fields in the database. I can do basic database admin stuff but this went way beyond basic, so I actually paid for some online training to learn MYSQL Lite, hence one of the reasons for the app not being free

As you and everyone else has seen, IMAC Lite has changed immensely since it's first release. It has good functionality and some half decent eye candy, the logbook app is all about functionality. While it is really intuitive to use and each screen has links to other screens that make sense and follow a given flow, it uses basic coloring, layouts, things like that. Will the overall look change over time, who knows.

I did the strangest thing the other weekend. I installed the very first version of IMAC lite and the newest release onto my development phone (iPhone 3GS) and what a difference. The original looks childish compared to now
Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Find More Posts by Python3d
Joined Apr 2010
130 Posts
I'll be first in line to buy the log book! I'm sure it's going to be great and worth waiting for.
Python3d is offline Find More Posts by Python3d
Old 09-15-2011, 09:39 PM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Python3d View Post
I'll be first in line to buy the log book! I'm sure it's going to be great and worth waiting for.
Good to hear, just hang in there, it's coming
Old 09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by audi murf
Joined Apr 2011
813 Posts
ttt
audi murf is offline Find More Posts by audi murf

Quick Reply