logo
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by Team Astro
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts
BP Hobbies Extra/Suhkoi foamie withAstro 010 geared and CC PHX-25 amp ESC

Hello again,
I wanted to do a few more build threads while I am finishing the covering on my EF Yak 54 74" 3500+ watt monster. So I thought simple so here is one of my newest "favorite foamies"... especially with a 20.00 price tag for the kit. I’ve build my second one just this week.
I think its an awesome beginners 3-D plane. Not only does it fly good, it seems easy to hover and torque-roll easy. A few of the similar BP Hoppies foamies build alike. (Others preferred the rolling maneuvers of the Suhkoi, but we found it needed a lot of modification to the rudder to help roll coupling issues. Chopping off part of the rudder, starting one inch on the top rear to the bottom rear corner. This helps a lot!!!) They do seem delicate and the foam snaps easy, but also makes repairs quick. A few extra steps and it will be a stronger and better flying foamie. Heck, I even get away using .99 Walmart paint on them... Did I say these things are cheap...
They use 2 pieces or foam laminated together to come close to 5mm thickness. With a few extra Carbon Fiber Strips, and a short CF rod in the motor mount stick or a hardwood stick instead of the balsa motor stick supplied, you glue the wing up more the motor mount.
Here’s the gear I’ve been flying these with...
Astro Flight 10 turn 010 geared motor. It uses the 709 gear box (3.3:1 ratio)
(I believe Astro is sold out of the 10 turn- but has a few 8 turn Planitary versions which with the 10x3.8 has 170+ watts of power... Steve has this on his Suhkoi, and it’s stupidly over powered!!!)
Castle Creations PHX- 25 amp ESC
1320 TP PRO-LITE 3 cell Lipolies
10x3.8 apc sf or 11x3.8 apc sf for better hovering
2 -4.4grm aileron servos and 2- 9 gram servos for elevator and tail
Jr 610 UL rx to eliminate the y-harness
All up weight is around 13oz RTF

We have flown many foamies with this 10 turn set up...
my first 10 turn lasted 3 years even after two really bad meatings with the concrete thanks to a friend- SOME FRIEND-LMAO... A new spur gear and I beat it in every weekend, faithfully. Definately a duriable little motor. I can fly pack after pack and it doesnt mind getting warm.
Some airframes my first 10 turn Astro 010 flew were:
Mini 3dx- I scaled down the original to 34" w/s, had 3 of these..
QQ E-flite yak 54 - loved it so much I went through 2
My depron bash of QQ yak 54
Thunder tiger Christian Eagle 2 profile foam 3-d arf
Phase 3 edge form hobby people- need some extra CF support too.
can't forget the Vertigo by Radical R/C- seen on AstroFlight customer photo pages
now this is my second of these extras.
I have a QQ yak bipe to ty it in next!!!
Ill keep everyone posted!
Thanks
Terry
Here are some pics of the first one we built at SEFF 2007, Chase felt comfortable his first flight to get up close!
Team Astro is offline Find More Posts by Team Astro
Last edited by Team Astro; 06-20-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts
Re: BP Hobbies Extra/Suhkoi foamie withAstro 010 geared and CC PHX-25 amp ESC

Heres the Basic frame just foam safe CAed together as per instructions. the second version we added CF strips down the sides of the plane. It stiffend the tail and it also hasnt broken, yet...LOL. I also slotted the elevator to use a CF stripe so we can still bevel the elevator and some QQ e-flite yak elevator CF joint renforcements. 1/32 ply was cut with sissors to reinforce both the bottom and side engine area extrentions. The stock outrunnerplate helped reinforce the stick mount thats made of balsa. I recommend using hard wood stick or drill and insert a leght of CF tube as I did.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts

I cut a square hole through the out runner mount to help stiffin this area and support the stick mount.
I cut some pins from piano wire to help hold the foam together for painting???
Yes Cheap .99 walmart special paint!
Here are the control surfaces pinned together, foam safe ca would help hold them better.
Heres the foam ready to spray.
Light coats is the trick. Try not to spray edges or beveles very heavy as the paint will melt the foam. I prefer this before taping the hinges or installing equiptment.
The foam safe ca and tape both bond well.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts

Here is the first light coat of yellow. I used average emamel spray can paint, light coats !!!
You can use fine line and masking tape to leave white stripes but the pins keep the fades lined up before yopu tape the hindges. Paint doesnt stick well to the tape.
Bright colors work best and a simple two color fade is simple to spray.
Here I worked from the top to bottom and with just red and yellow.
Finished up before installing the equiptment.
I got this far in a few hours one night!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts

Here are the taped tail surfaces. I cut servo holes and control horn slots after I paint, thats personal preference. Astro Flight now has cheap motor mounts for both the 709 and maxon gearboxes. Here you cansee some equiptment installed. The PHX- 25 and RX were velcroed on. The 4gram servos were just foam asfed into position. The included cf push rods are great, just wick extra thin ca in the heat shrink to make sure.
The antenni bobbin was a simple broken nylon bolt. The treads acually wrapped the wire effortlessly. A few drops foam safe CA on each end and instant bobbin...I simple drew out a canopy and .44 cent walmart acrylic water based paint prushes on fine.
Heres a home made mount Ive had for a long time. Extra control horn halves were used for simple push rod guides. See the evevator and rudder servos are mounted close to the wing, eliminating extra extexsions. A 610 jr ul eliminated the y-harness. Even with the equiptment placed here, a 1320 needs to be butted to the outrunner firewall to balance as reccommended.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts

The building manual can be downloaded off BP Hobbies site if you like to check out more build info. Here are a few pics of the madin flight on a light wind day. I used the 11x3.8 apc-sf, which takes more right aileron to keep it from torqure rolling. the t-roll rate is atleast 2 rolls a second with this prop... Others perfer the modified SUhkoi for rolling manuvers, but for an easy flyer and hover machine, the extra is awesome!!!

Ill post amps, volts, watts and rpm of both props ASAP!!! Hopefully some video soon too...
Thanks for checking it out.
Anyone else have these foamies? Whats your set up?
Steve flys his Suhkoi with an 8 turn 010 @ 170 watts or so. That Extreme Flight Yak, just didnt survive its swim in the pond-LOL...
Last edited by Team Astro; 06-20-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts

Here is the information on the 8 turn planitary motor Steve flying on his BP Suhkoi...
Statically its way overkill as most foamie sets tend to be. He use to fly this in the pictured EF yak...
SEXTRA STUPID ON STEVE"S FOAMIE-LOL...

I think Astroflight might have a dozen or so left...

Motor: Astroflight 010PM ( 8 turn)

ESC: Castle Creations PNX 25

Battery: TP 1320 Pro-lite 3 cell

All up weight: 15.25 oz onthe exteme flight yak 55ep(Foamie 13-13 1/2oz)

Prop: 10 x 3.8 APC-SF for 3-D

Amps: 16.5

Volts: 10.33

Watts: close to 170

RPM: 7350

Duration: 15 + minutes of hovering and mixed acrobatics!
Check out Steve dunk the Yak in the pond on our site on the events page under NEAT Fair.

Ill post my results with the props and 3.3:1 (709) gearbox sunday
Thanks Terry

Quick Reply