logo
Old 10-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
Discussion
Anybody running premixed fuel?

Iíve ran a few tanks with Stihl moto mix. It expensive but no ethanol to eat the carb and it wonít go bad sitting in the tank over the winter. VP has that power mix for rc engines. Iíve been thinking about trying it. Just wondering if anyone else is running pre mix fuel.
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Nope. Still trying to burn fuel from last year. Flown more diesel than 93.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 10-20-2019, 09:54 PM
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
Nope. Still trying to burn fuel from last year. Flown more diesel than 93.
What are you running diesel in?
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined May 2015
135 Posts
No I thought about it but that's the main reason I got away from glow fuel.....cost....you can always put the old gas in any vehicle on a fill up to dispose of it..... as for the premix it's rather pricey depending on how much you fly. Typically a rebuild kit for carb. is $12.00 give or take so I'm going to rebuild a carb. every couple seasons if necessary but you can do the math.....I haven't had carb. diaphragm issues in the past 2 seasons and I don't know if the diaphragms are made of Viton or not but I'll run pump gas thank you.
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
no ethanol to eat the carb

Ethanol does not eat carbs. This is an urban legend that wont die because people keep repeating it online.

Ethanol will dissolve natural rubber. Small engine carbs have not been made with natural rubber seals and diaphragms for at least a couple decades now. The black parts in a stock walbro are a synthetic such as viton, and if the pump flapper is a whitish material its teflon.

Ive been running nothing but 87 pump gas in my planes and yard tools for over 12 years now, not once have I had a fuel related problem on gas. I dont even bother to run them dry after a session anymore, still no problems. I change diaphragms every 4 or 5 years just out of habit but never noticed a difference.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 10-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Ethanol does not eat carbs. This is an urban legend that wont die because people keep repeating it online.

Ethanol will dissolve natural rubber. Small engine carbs have not been made with natural rubber seals and diaphragms for at least a couple decades now. The black parts in a stock walbro are a synthetic such as viton, and if the pump flapper is a whitish material its teflon.

Ive been running nothing but 87 pump gas in my planes and yard tools for over 12 years now, not once have I had a fuel related problem on gas. I dont even bother to run them dry after a session anymore, still no problems. I change diaphragms every 4 or 5 years just out of habit but never noticed a difference.
Same here....I've never had to change any internal parts in any of my carbs including my weed whacker that's 18 seasons old. I never drain my tanks, I leave about 1/4 tank at all times and even after sitting for months like the weed whacker surly does all winter...I just add fresh fuel on top and everything has always been just fine. I have always ran 87 in everything I own....never an issue except changing the old fuel lines.
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 10-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Quote:
What are you running diesel in?
Turbine. I might have a grand total of 30 flights this yesr.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:12 AM
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Quote:

I have had to replace pump diaphragms, but thats another story. Im with you. Leave fuel in the tanks, leave the carbs wet, and store them. Everything will be ready for you, when you are ready to go for the next season.

Why worry about the inevitable. It eventually happens. Wheather you can control it or not.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,519 Posts
Quote:

Exactly. I have never had a carb issue rated to E10 fuel. My wife's 2002 Sea-Doo jetski still has the original carb diaphrams and pump. In fact the factory flame arrestor has never been removed. Only E10 fuel in that. I rebuilt my carbs on my ski when I did a big bird kit on it. Never a carb issue on my lawn equipment. Even my chain saw I bought back in 2008. I never drain the fuel and I used it this year after sitting for over a year. Fired up pretty easy.

As far a premixed fuel. I tried it just to try it. The smell was nice but I found no benefit using it on my DA170 at all. Just alot more money per tank.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
Well I had a carb issue with my Stihl chainsaw. I took it in to have it looked at and was told the problem was the carb. Which I already knew. I was told a carb kit wouldn’t fix it because ethanol in the gas had corroded the aluminum. The carb needed replaced. Now I don’t know about the long term affects of ethanol on aluminum. What I do know is we use aluminum anode rods in our coolant tanks to keep chemicals from attacking the machine. It attack’s the aluminum instead. You can pull the rod and see how bad the aluminum has been eatin away. I assumed this had the same affect with ethanol. Maybe not. Glad I asked.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 PM
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Well I had a carb issue with my Stihl chainsaw. I took it in to have it looked at and was told the problem was the carb. Which I already knew. I was told a carb kit wouldnít fix it because ethanol in the gas had corroded the aluminum. The carb needed replaced. Now I donít know about the long term affects of ethanol on aluminum. What I do know is we use aluminum anode rods in our coolant tanks to keep chemicals from attacking the machine. It attackís the aluminum instead. You can pull the rod and see how bad the aluminum has been eatin away. I assumed this had the same affect with ethanol. Maybe not. Glad I asked.
I would have loved to see that carb with it's corrosion. This is my carb when I rebuilt it a few years ago. It was stored both outside and inside. Depended on where I lived at the time.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
Ya me too. Guess I should have looked at it myself. I never did see it. I just said ok fix it.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:38 PM
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,519 Posts
Quote:
Ya me too. Guess I should have looked at it myself. I never did see it. I just said ok fix it.
I have to wonder if some aluminum carbs are a little different material. My carbs are mikuni carbs. Definitely a good carb. My old snowmobile also had mikuni carbs with no issues.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:28 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,339 Posts
We generally treat our planes a bit better than our lawn equipment- I have seen my lawnmower after sitting all winter have a hole corroded through the aluminum bowl. The alcohol is hard on things and most of the materials we use are pretty resistant.. I have bounced back and forth between gas station gas and avgas for quite a few years with the quickie mart gasoline causing the most issue-- I got a batch of gasoline that had been loaded up with toluene to refresh it and it melted the stoppers out of a couple planes. Not happy.. went to avgas for a while but got too lazy to drive out to the airport and switched back to pump gas.. The premixed stuff is pretty expensive for what you get..
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 10-22-2019, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Toothata540
Huckin', Learnin', & Burnin'
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
I had to replace a Mikuni carb in a Scag mower that sat for 4-5 years with ethanol fuel in it. Full of white chunks and corrosion. The same with a neighbors snow blower that sat for two seasons without running primed with fuel. The hinges on the bowl float were solid. If ethanol fuel sits for long periods is where you’ll have an issue. The gas and ethanol evaporates in the bowl leaving the dissolved water and air that corrodes the parts. Pre mixed with a good oil, you won’t have as much of an issue.

If you put several gallons through per season like we do with our airplanes and keep the fuel jug well sealed to prevent moisture from getting in the fuel, you’re probably fine. For how little I get to fly nowadays, I buy a 5 gal jug of VP and a bottle of redline per season just in case the last gallon sits over the winter, it’s good to go in the spring.

The Stihl oil has good stabilizers in it while burning super clean. if you’re in a bind most hardware stores have the motomix if you don’t want to make two stops before heading to the field (gas pump and Stihl shop).
Toothata540 is offline Find More Posts by Toothata540

Quick Reply