logo
Old 11-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
137 Posts
Discussion
3w engine questions and help

Hi all. Picked up these two 3w twins for a great price. The 106 has never seen fuel and the 100 has hardly been run. Only got one ignition with these and Iím not sure if it works. I also believe the rotation is reversed because of the arrow and when I do a rough check of the timing (either magnet) it seems to make more sense.

Any 3w gurus who can give me some advise on changing the direction and converting to a RCExL ignition? I have plenty of experience with more conventional engines but never have had a 3w.

Also, how does the 2 magnet hub work?

TIA
Brandon
ROFF is offline Find More Posts by ROFF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,339 Posts
rc extremepower or c&h can fix you up as failed 3w ignitions were common due to overheating. rc extremepower has brackets that will direct bolt up for either hub type to usee either rcexel or c&h ignition. The two magnet hub has one at top dead center and the other about 55 degrees before. it uses the two magnets to sense the rpm rate curve advances the spark based on the rpm
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
137 Posts
Thanks.

So using the new bracket will pickup about 28* BTDC? Either magnet? Are they the same?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
United States, CO, Greeley
Joined Feb 2006
581 Posts
Call and talk to the G man at Aircraft International , He will fix you up. http://www.aircraftinternational.com/
Marvan Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Marvan Maxwell
Old 11-12-2019, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Gerhard is only a phone call away. If you give him the SNs, he can give you all the details you want to know about those engines. Let him know you suspect that 1 engine is reverse rotation.

Reverse rotation is no good to you, unless you are building a pusher/puller.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
843 Posts
Gerhart is the man to talk to, he is the guy with these engines, I have a 106 twin Comp on my 35% Edge and I love the way the engine always runs, it is never hard to crank and just runs awesome..

when i first got mine i was told the starting is a little driffrent, but i treat it no driffrent from any other engine now. I choke, flip few times to get fuel up into carb. i trun on ignition flip normally 2 or three times and it pops and runs, turn off choke. flip 2 or 3 times. normally i hear it about to hit. and the next flip it cranks. I was told with the stock ignition first flip does nothing 2nd one its live. Mine was missing the LED I ordered one but didn't realize it be just the bulb think i hooked up leads wrong and killed the bulb. ended up putting a electronic kill on it and never worried about it again.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 11-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFF View Post
Thanks.

So using the new bracket will pickup about 28* BTDC? Either magnet? Are they the same?
The magnets are installed with one north polarity and one south polarity. He had a bracket that will bolt up and work without messing with the magnets. The reverse rotation one may be the bugger as the hub may need changed or you may need to install a magnet in the right spot. Who knows. Milton may have a bracket that will work as is.
Gerhart knows these well but will not be happy u less you buy a 3w ignition from him for $$. He has good service but As a distributor he does need to charge you to stay in business.
The only weak point in the 3w 100/106 is the carb blocks tend to get warped by people muscle f***ing the bolts. So don’t overtighten them and do make sure the mating surfaces are flat. Glass and some 100 grit does wonders. Gerhart does sell a nice metal replacement for about 60 bucks but hopefully you won’t need them.
Last edited by 2walla; 11-12-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2007
2,339 Posts
Oh and looking at your pictures-- they are both 106 Look on the 100 it has 106 stamped at the rear case. 3W couldn't bear to throw out the old stickers and used them until gone but stamped 106 on them. They both look to have 2 magnet hubs or is the one with the reversed arrow on it simply missing one magnet.. I can see by the color on the magnets that something is up as if it was truly reversed with a later model 2 magnet 3w ignition i think the red and green would be reversed. What does the ignition module look like? is it an early 1 magnet or a 2 magnet unit? Both of your motors seem to have the 4 wire pickup ( new style) and the two magnet hubs run with the new ignition that requires 4 wires on the pickup..
Old 11-12-2019, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by ROFF
United States, TX, Heath
Joined Oct 2015
137 Posts
They are definitely different sizes. You probably can't tell in the pic but the 100 is narrower than the 106. Both have the magnets in the same configuration relevant to TDC. I emailed about an aftermarket ignition and it may or may not work. The one ignition I do have (3W) works properly and the pickup is the red magnet. I also spoke with Gerhart about the matter. He was helpful but can really give definite answers without having the engines. I was going to send in but I think I will experiment with an RCEXL ignition.

The 100 is for an Ultimate bipe kit I have and the 106 was a bonus. Im sure I can find a plane for that!
Old 11-12-2019, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,238 Posts
Ummm, highly unlikely the G man will talk to you about an after market ignition on one of his 3W engines,,, just saying
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vargas View Post
Ummm, highly unlikely the G man will talk to you about an after market ignition on one of his 3W engines,,, just saying
And that is why I stick to 3W ignitions. No way will I jeopardize his service or even the several phone calls he's taken while I'm at the field.

After a crash servicing he offered a used 3W ignition and I still have it years later.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 11-12-2019, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,103 Posts
I switched over to an RcExcel based on another's advice. To be quite honest I think the 3W ingnition ran the engine better and switched it back. From then on it has been what ever Gerhard says for me.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 11-12-2019, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
I switched over to an RcExcel based on another's advice. To be quite honest I think the 3W ingnition ran the engine better and switched it back. From then on it has been what ever Gerhard says for me.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 11-13-2019, 12:32 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vargas View Post
Be prepared for WW 3,4,5 and 6 if anyone tells him a Chinese ignition makes a 3W run better. Let me know before anyone does, as I will go visit him, and when they call, I will have him put the phone on speaker, and I will video record the conversation.

I will sell videos!
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-13-2019, 08:05 AM
Find More Posts by edwinracme
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2013
123 Posts
ign

there is no reason to change ign unless there is a failure I have a 106 that is 20 years old with the original ign and a 150 with a aftermarket ign I cant see a difference in performance I bought the 150 used with a bad ign
edwinracme is offline Find More Posts by edwinracme

Quick Reply