logo
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 AM
Find More Posts by usafitz
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
Discussion
70A Scorpion ESC w/ 75A peak e-flight motor

First off, thank you everyone for your thoughts on what I'm about to present to you.

As's as I said in the title, I have some numbers that may or may not work out and I'd like to know if you think it will work out... the obvious answer is no, so here's what I think. If I'm wrong, please give me a virtual SMACK and tell me i'm an idiot

I have the Scorpion Commander V2 70amp 4-Cell ESC and I'd really like to use it with the E-flight Power 52 Brushless Outrunner Motor 590Kv, which has a peak of 75amps.

With the peak being 5 amps higher than what the ESC can theoretically take, I think there may be a buffer in there that I can exploit. I say pair up the two and nothing will burn up... What do you think?!?

thanks!
usafitz is offline Find More Posts by usafitz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafitz View Post
First off, thank you everyone for your thoughts on what I'm about to present to you.

As's as I said in the title, I have some numbers that may or may not work out and I'd like to know if you think it will work out... the obvious answer is no, so here's what I think. If I'm wrong, please give me a virtual SMACK and tell me i'm an idiot

I have the Scorpion Commander V2 70amp 4-Cell ESC and I'd really like to use it with the E-flight Power 52 Brushless Outrunner Motor 590Kv, which has a peak of 75amps.

With the peak being 5 amps higher than what the ESC can theoretically take, I think there may be a buffer in there that I can exploit. I say pair up the two and nothing will burn up... What do you think?!?

thanks!
What size and type prop do you plan on using, What Lipo,s and What plane ?
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 12-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
How many points do you have ?
3 miles South of where Jamie McMurray cried like a Biotch.
Joined May 2007
9,314 Posts
I just did a little checking around and from what i can find is that E-Flight recomends an 80amp,but i also read a thread where a guy was using a HobbyKing 75amp on his set-up .....But the prop and lipo will be the deciding factor.If you do not prop it to the largest sizes in the E-Flight recommendations you should be fine.I have a couple EDF jets that i push 5 to 10 amps over there stated size and never burned one out,not to mention they come down hot as hell.....Factories are safe with there numbers,they leave a bit of room for people to push them.Throttle managment also helps a bunch.There are a couple good calculation charts out there,i just can not for the life of me think of one at this late hour Wait,RCDUDE.com has one you can check.
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
That makes sense. I don't have the prop yet because the other motor that I was considering is a Scorpion SII Competition Series 3020-890 (890kv) with a 12x6 prop that will only draw a max of 45 amps. This post was just me pushing the envelope The prop for the E-flight was going to be a 15x7 which I think may draw every amp it could get. whatcha think?
Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2011
28 Posts
So i decided not to screw around with it. I got an ICE 80 ESC to take care of business and i'm going to go with a 3S series battery solution and a smaller prop. It should work out well.

Quick Reply