logo
Old 07-13-2020, 04:04 AM
Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Discussion
Scratch building advice

I know its not a IMAC or 3D model, but I wanted to try something different while I am getting together the parts to start my first giant build. I wanted to make a model of the scale ATR 72-600 passanger aircraft, I don't have plans and I am not aware of any kits but looks like i need to build one from photographs. Any advice just never built a airplane from scratch before.
Av8tor1 is offline Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-13-2020, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
Keep it light, make the the bones strong and engineer the hell out of the upholstery. What that means is make your spars, D sections, motor mounts, longerons, and landing gear mounts strong, the rest is pretty much fairing, so keep it light!

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 07-13-2020, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
stat with some other arf with similar design and modify it that way it has all the included parts
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 07-13-2020, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
You will need a good set of 3 View Drawings, and If handy in CAD this will be an advantage.

Frome them work out a size and them starting working out former locations ,stringer etc

Try to find a similer model to get some ideas ie some sort of round fuse liner, that way it can be used as a guide to a point.

But it wont be easy and there will be errors a long the way
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 07-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
I wanted to try something different, being a airliner i thought the air frame would be a fairly easy shape to make. I don't have CAD at the moment, but have been watching the youtuber Rammy RC who makes scale airliners. Trying to use some of the design ideas from him.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:26 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Yeah why not, having something unique can be great.

Ramy does some nice stuff, There is a lot you can take from his work.

Your are right the fuse is not a super hard design, Should be great, Keep us updated.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:58 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Sure will do, It wont be perfect but will try my best. Do you know where i could find six bladed props on the curve similar to the scale aircraft ?
Old 07-14-2020, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Working with the measurements the full size ATR 72-600 has a wing span of 27 meters, so to make it easy to work with I will make it 2 meters. What i need to source is some scale props with 32mm wheels.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:42 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
A 2 meter wings span? i would be looking at making it around 3 meter wing and length or larger as it will fly much better at that size. Plus you will have lower wing loading. etc
Last edited by The Hodge; 07-14-2020 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:10 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
True, but really comes down to what size props I can find, but also means allot more reinforcing due to flex.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:18 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Finding a scale prop may not be possible and naturally the more blades the less efficient the engine is, Or you will need to use large motors , Assuming you going electric

Remember the Real plane is a turbo prop, But it should be fine with a traditional 4 blade prop - Still look pretty scale - In Rc we cannot always have the scale prop size or type due to various factors. This is very much and issues with some warbirds. - There is always a bit of compromise.

I would be building it not for the prop size (As there will be something that will work) build it to you size and Budget and ultimately what you want to do with it...
Last edited by The Hodge; 07-14-2020 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Some scratch builder will find a good 3 view and have it blown up by a print shop to the size of the model, then just build right off that. It takes some experience to guess at how many formers, how thick of stock to use for spars and stringers, etc to make it strong enough. Also may have to take some liberties with the wing airfoil.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Funny enough I found the right propeller for sale second hand but one not two. Your right i am not even going to try and find the scale props and a six bladed prop wont be efficient. I know bigger always flies better but 2 meters should be a good size to work with. When they are outside the planes don't look that big until you try putting them on the bench. The big Krill just fits. I have found a 3d drawing from the web so will blow that up to size and will work out where the ribs and formers will need to be. I am trying to use as much information as i can from Mr Rammy rc from his videos.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
I don't want to be a Debby downer but that is going to be a very difficult airframe to model successfully. The full scale has a very high aspect ratio wing and translated to a 2 meter airframe, you will have very little wing area so weight will be very critical. Maybe a good candidate for cut foam construction with little more than a fiberglass shell on the foam? Perhaps even take some liberties with the wing to add additional wing area. At minimum, I'd do some serious pencil pushing before getting too far into the project .... especially considering realistic weights and wing areas. This plane is kinda the F-104 of the airline industry. A wonder plane of sorts as in .... wonder where the wing is.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 PM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
I did not plan to attend to go bigger because it means having to carry it around in the trailer,but calculating it last night i might have to go that big. The design is not really complicated the air frame is like a cigar tube and the wing its self is just like a long plank that flexes like the Airbus a380 design and not designed for step climb outs. But i know what your saying and trying to work out those issues. I have tried to reach out to Rammy Rc with no success

Quick Reply