logo
Old 06-03-2020, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Build Log
Krill Lazer Z build 38%

This is my first build log and my first giant build, I would appreciate any advice along the build and modifications. Please forgive me to because i like spending extra time mount the wires and keeping everything neat.

Here is my first few questions as I start to purchase the hardware for this plane. I have already decided upon servo choice .

Motor options, What is peoples thoughts am i better to go Desert Aircraft or DLE ? I am thinking of mounting a 160 as suggested or should i go 200 ?

Kuza fuel tanks, has anyone had any experience with these ?
Suggestions on smoke pumps, This is my first smoke pump.
Power switch options and fuel dot suggestions.
Fly wheels anyone think they are worth getting for the lightness ?
I am also after wire mounts to just keep everything nice and clean
Anything other things i have forgotten to add?
Av8tor1 is offline Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
For a first GS bird, 4 cyl is not the way to go. Use a twin, easier to baffle.

The tanks are good. Just be sure to check the fittings on the top of the tank. Sometimes they arrive loose, sometimes they are tight. Periodic maintenance on them. A little thread sealer helps extend the intervals of maintenance.

Holy Smokes is a good lightweight pump. I always used Sky Writer pumps or TME.

Dont use the Miracle dual combo switch. Bad things happen. FromeCo Wolverive switches are what everyone who isnt using power distribution uses.

Wheels dont make a pilot better. They are covered up by wheel pants, anyways. I use DuBro 4 and 4.5" wheels, and they last forever.

I have used the Panduit wire tie mounts. Then I seen the Secraft Wire Keeps. Thats all I have used over the past 10 builds/assemblies I have done for me and my friends birds.

1 note on composite airframes. Wherever you make a glue joint, you want to scuff the area, then wipe it down with an alcohol wipe or towel with rubbing alcohol on it. Let it dry. By scuffing the area, you are removing the mold release, and exposing some raw fibers, which will enhance your glue joints.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
middlesrx, nj
Joined Dec 2006
153 Posts
Av8tor1..... welcome to the composite club....and the Krill family.
There is a build thread here on Giants, from the tech at Chief Aircraft out there on the west coast
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=230139

I did a build thread of sorts on the Krill Extra LX 34%....... and have owned both Krill and Composite Arf, They are both quality organizations to deal with. Of particular interests to you should be the new control horns and the ease of mounting, just epoxy in the existing holes and forget about it.

I don't believe your plane comes with a center section for mounting hardware and servos, but has a tray for 2 bottles. The build thread of Swantin Fly offers one direction and my thread offers a different approach that I use on my pattern planes https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=240675

I totally agreed on the Fromco switches, and their batteries....used them for 10 plus years and no issue..... You'll see on my thread I used "Smart Fly" electronics..... they like a lot of components of regulators, power transfer, servos are builders choice.

Motor choice? I prefer DA, but there are a number of choices out there. You didn't mention stock mufflers or cans, or 2 or 3 blade prop. IMAC or 3D..... of for Sunday fun.....

enjoy your build and best of luck with your new plane

One thing for sure, when you go to the field, this plane will turn heads.
phantoml phixer is offline Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
Old 06-03-2020, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Thanks for the information, It was actually a tough decision chose between a Krill and a Comp ARF, but maybe my next giant will be a Comp arf. I have been looking towards DA motors so will go with one of those.

The plane is going to be a weekend flyer, I will learn IMAC for precision flying, but wont be for competitions. I will run a three bladed prop, in regards to muffers , Thanks Phantoml phixer , what would you suggest, noise is not a issue at the strip.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
I will also take a look at the build logs thanks.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:52 AM
Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
middlesrx, nj
Joined Dec 2006
153 Posts
Morning:

In regards to mufflers, I have only used cans...... They are expensive compared to stock, but I intend to fly IMAC and if I want to visit another flying field I don’t have to worry if I meet their DB limit.
phantoml phixer is offline Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
Old 06-05-2020, 04:01 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Well all this information has helped allot thanks guys. I will start posting on this post when I have all the parts and start building. Stay turned.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,664 Posts
Don't be afraid of making baffles for the 4 cyl.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 06-06-2020, 05:48 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
Reading and seeing what others are using, it seems to be best suited for a 150-160cc twin cylinder.

Quick Reply