logo
Old 03-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Smoking a Blunt with Yoda
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts
A123 batteries?

Anyone see or use these? Specs look awesome even though they are a bit heavier than fromecos, but you can charge them in 15 min and they pack one heck of a punch! Looks neat. I think I remember about 6 months ago hearing something like this come along, but just figured out these are out now.

http://www.a123racing.com/html/hypersonic.html
Flyinrazrback is offline Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-22-2007, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by 3dubya
//////////////////////////////
Stralya - down there aye bloke
Joined Feb 2006
4,283 Posts
Re: A123 batteries?

Yer Ive been keen on those, haven't wanted to be the pioneer.
3dubya is offline Find More Posts by 3dubya
Last edited by 3dubya; 03-22-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Twizlair
Abq. NM
Joined Oct 2006
757 Posts

There are a bunch of heli and HP sailplane guys using these things. They are discharging at up to 125 amps and charging to full capacity in 13 minutes. They are hard core. I think there is a huge amount of data on them at RCU.
These batteries can be found in Dewalt 33 volt drill packs 10 cells for about $125. You take em apart and make your own pack. Guys are up to several hundred cycles without any degrade so far.
bad part is only 3.3 volts per cell but huge punch.
hope this helps
Twizlair is offline Find More Posts by Twizlair
Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Smoking a Blunt with Yoda
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

Well, www.a123racing.com sells the assembled packs, etc. After some more research the fma direct a123 charger is a good one for these. Neat technology, that is for sure. I guess if you think you are starving your 5955s or 8611s, this will provide the punch and then some!
Flyinrazrback is offline Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by BTerry
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizlair View Post
bad part is only 3.3 volts per cell but huge punch.
hope this helps
Actually, this is one of the GOOD parts in some instance. You can run a 2S battery directly into the receiver (no regulator) because the initial voltage drops rapidly from around 7V to 6.5-6.6, which is the receiver's happy spot.

Dick Hanson has been using these batteries for a few months on several big planes and is impressed with them. Best part is you can top off the receiver pack in the same amount of time it takes to fuel the plane!

I think we will see more of these cells used in receivers in the future.

Brett
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Find More Posts by BTerry
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

I should mention that he used these cells in a DX7 receiver which is rated for 30A at 9V, but his testing measured voltages similar to a GOOD, low-impedence, 5-cell NiMH.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 12-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Find More Posts by mciaglia
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Jan 2007
480 Posts

Another question about the A123. I am plannning on using the new spektrum receiver with dual bat inputs AR9100. Putting (2) A123 2300mah packs from Airwild on there. I have read that some people are running the ignition off these packs as well, wiring a separate lead to the ignition from both packs bypassing the reciver....eliminating the need for an ignition battery. This set-up is going in an EF 88 yak with a DA 50. What is the general consensus..good idea or run a separate pack for the ignition.

Mark
mciaglia is offline Find More Posts by mciaglia
Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciaglia View Post
Another question about the A123. I am plannning on using the new spektrum receiver with dual bat inputs AR9100. Putting (2) A123 2300mah packs from Airwild on there. I have read that some people are running the ignition off these packs as well, wiring a separate lead to the ignition from both packs bypassing the reciver....eliminating the need for an ignition battery. This set-up is going in an EF 88 yak with a DA 50. What is the general consensus..good idea or run a separate pack for the ignition.

Mark
That sized plane-- easy setup is just a single pack of 2300cells to the radio and a single pack of the VXP 1100 cells for the engine - keep it as simple as possible and as straightforward as possible -make it dead simple to troubleshoot - the setups some use is so loaded with rinky dinky super this n that , that if there is a problem - it is a mess to sort out.
same charge (a CellPro 4) will read/charge either pack in a heartbeat and the VXPpack is 2.5 ozs = nothing ,on that plane
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 12-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by mciaglia
The Woodlands, TX
Joined Jan 2007
480 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I agree that the simpler the better. I want to avoid regulators hence the change to A123 cells. But do you think that 2200 is enough for (5) HT-5955. With the new AR9100 receiver I could easily install 2 packs. Just want to be able to run the ignition off those two packs only without having to add a 3rd for ignition. I think 4600mah is perfect for the plane and ignition. Just want to know if the wiring is feasible?

Mark
mciaglia is offline Find More Posts by mciaglia
Old 12-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Find More Posts by Sin City Jets
Best Prices On A123 Batteries
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 2007
231 Posts

I don't know that I would just run one pack to your receiver. And you defeinitely don't want to run a pack to both your ignition AND receiver.

I would go with the dual packs to the receiver and one to the ignition.
Sin City Jets is offline Find More Posts by Sin City Jets
Old 12-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts

dual battery packs are an old habit -caused by the shi--y cells many select
Iwould (do not) have no qualms with the 2 cell 2300 pack with two sets of leads -and one 1100ma pack for the engine ingnition.
these cells ain't Lipos and with the Cell Pro charger you see state of EACH cell evey time you look at the battery being charged/checked .
To me , these setups completely obsolete any of the stuff I previously used (and stuf I wouldn't touch with a meat fork)
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 12-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by Sin City Jets
Best Prices On A123 Batteries
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 2007
231 Posts

Dick, you know you and I agree these batteries are the new standard in RC. However, I am still a big fan of redundancy....even with these great cells. You know my ideal set-up is a Smart-Fly Power Expander and dual A123's, with 14 ga wire right to the power expander.

Either way, at least the person made the right choice to get A123 batteries!
Sin City Jets is offline Find More Posts by Sin City Jets
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Find More Posts by airbike
Walnut, Calif
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts

I've been running a single 2 cell 2300 A123 pack for my Spektrum Rx and servos (6 x HS5955 & 1 x 8711 + throttle) and a 1100 A123 2 cell pack on ignition for my DA100 on a H9 35% Extra 260. So far so good. Close to 50 flights now.
I can fly 5 x 15 minute flights, then swap out batteries if I want to fly more. I keep a second set of batteries in my flight box, not on the plane! Most I've recharged was about 1650 mah on the Rx pack so I still have a good cushion.
Of course your flying style and setup will affect the electrical power usage so YMMV.
airbike is offline Find More Posts by airbike
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by psk560
Augusta, Ga
Joined Jan 2006
567 Posts

How much do you put back in your ignition pack after those flights?

Thanks,
Craig
psk560 is offline Find More Posts by psk560
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by airbike
Walnut, Calif
Joined Jan 2006
504 Posts

I originally used a 4 cell Nimh for ignition before the VPX packs came out, so I only have about 4 outings with the 1100 ign pack. I recharged about 650 mah after 4 flights, but those were more 3D than IMAC. When I do more IMAC, I think the drain is higher since I'm at higher throttle settings for longer periods of time. I'm keeping a log of the Rx and Ign voltages after each flight so I'm getting more familiar with them as I go.
The nice thing is that I keep the batteries in my flight box and just velcro them into the plane to fly whenever I get time to fly. No more worries about not having the Nimh pack charged up the night before or fast charging on the way to the field. Also, I will be using the same batteries for other planes so I don't need to buy batteries for every plane.

Nimh's that have a low internal resistance can flow good current but they also tend to have a high self discharge rate. The A123's have very low self discharge and are always ready for me to go fly.
airbike is offline Find More Posts by airbike

Quick Reply