Find More Posts by White Knuckels
You little beauty!!
Australia. NSW
Joined Jan 2006
39 Posts
Re: Byron Pitts Special Decals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET FX View Post
Black Sheep- Thats good to know Iron Bay has em as I need a canopy too, just cracked my one recently... I will try them for the canopy and decals

So you have had six eh! are you wearing em out or what? where have you been sourcing them from??

How much weight did the glassing end up adding? Iam not looking for prop hanging 3D performance just scale like, so a little extra weight I reckon should not bother it too much? but any info you can shed with your experiences would be appreciated. I just like the idea of doing a super smooth mirror like paint job. I have not even flown it yet just scored it an a deal and have been slowly getting it ready to fly. It has a new Moki 2.1 and I want to add a smoke system although I have not figured out the best set up for the Moki yet.

Cheers- Marty
There is a fellow in Queensland that makes canopys.I had an origional coppied by him.
White Knuckels is offline Find More Posts by White Knuckels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Don't know if it will help but it might as a last resort. I buy decal paper from www.beldecal.com here in the states. You can do your own designs on the computer and simply run it through your ink jet or color laser printer. Then you spray them with Krylon Krystal clear and apply them. Not as good as vinyl but they do hold up pretty well.
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Last edited by Al Lewis; 12-05-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Well, my Byron Pitts is going out for a fly tomorrow after a 2 year rest. I'll try to remember the camera
Black Sheep is offline Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Old 12-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knuckels View Post
There is a fellow in Queensland that makes canopys.I had an origional coppied by him.
It was Peter Johnson, Model Aircraft Constructions in Nambour 07 5476 0650
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with decals and I don't mean to take over your thread but since we are talking Byron Pitts....well, my Pitts still looks good and flies pretty good too. The DZY motor started with one flip after being primed, just like it's been flying every weekend. You wouldn't know it's been sitting on the shelf for two and a half years.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 AM
Find More Posts by JET FX
Kero Burner...
Sydney, Australia.
Joined May 2007
154 Posts

That is nice!! flying wires and all, are they home made? Something about the S1's lines that are timeless I reckon... like the Spitfire I never get tired of looking at the S1
JET FX is offline Find More Posts by JET FX
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET FX View Post
That is nice!! flying wires and all, are they home made? Something about the S1's lines that are timeless I reckon... like the Spitfire I never get tired of looking at the S1
Yeah, the flying wires are just 135lb fishing trace with turnbuckles for adjustment.
You are right about the lines of the S1 and a few other classics.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,557 Posts

Since there seems to be a bunch of people here who know about the Byron Pitts, this might be the place to ask this question:

Has anyone ever fiberglassed one? I know it would add a lot of weight, but since this is more of a scale flyer than a 3D flyer, it might be OK if weight considerations were made elsewhere.

The reason I ask, is because I've got the opportunity to buy one RTF for dirt cheap, but it's ugly..... Strucurally it's sound, but it will need some major cosmetic work. I've got a friend that flies RC that's absolutely gifted with an airbrush, so I was thinking this might be a cool project for him to paint.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack01 View Post
Since there seems to be a bunch of people here who know about the Byron Pitts, this might be the place to ask this question:

Has anyone ever fiberglassed one? I know it would add a lot of weight, but since this is more of a scale flyer than a 3D flyer, it might be OK if weight considerations were made elsewhere.

The reason I ask, is because I've got the opportunity to buy one RTF for dirt cheap, but it's ugly..... Strucurally it's sound, but it will need some major cosmetic work. I've got a friend that flies RC that's absolutely gifted with an airbrush, so I was thinking this might be a cool project for him to paint.
Mine pictured above is glassed. I was a bit heavy handed with resin and it came in at 18lbs with the DZY twin. All others I've done I covered and they came in around 15-16lbs with a range of motors from a Super Tigre 3000 to Quadra 42 and Zenoah 45. I did one with a Sachs 4.2 and it came in at 20lbs, flew ok but like a brick.
This one I've got now flies pretty good and quite scale like now it's dialed in and still impresses a lot of people.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by rkoairshows
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2019
63 Posts
Anyone have a lead on decals, a build manual......and still wondering if I’m going to glass or eckonokote
rkoairshows is offline Find More Posts by rkoairshows

Quick Reply