logo
Old 05-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
I'd like to see a photo eventually since I've never heard anything about this.

All I know is that the plane population at my club and most of the clubs up and down I-75 I go to are dominated by EF planes and I never heard or seen anything like this. Nothing personal, but I'd have to dismiss many of these claims since, as we all know, guys will continue to try to diminish what Extreme Flight has done over the past ten years in this industry for 3D and XA enthusiasts.

There was a point where every plane I even bothered to load up to take to the field was either EF or 3DHS, and now they are both under the same roof. And since Chris has already spoken about the claim, then it seems that even if you had an issue, you never contacted them about it. It's something I would want to know about if it was my business.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by jln1320
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2015
97 Posts
120 Air frame

There are the pictures as per your request!
Dismiss it or Not.
I see by your post that you are obviously an EF/3DHS enthusiast.
Understand, I don't have an issue and I did contact the supplier so help me understand what business is this to you ?
jln1320 is offline Find More Posts by jln1320
Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by marksextra
Once U go Yak, U never go back
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I'd like to see a photo eventually since I've never heard anything about this.

All I know is that the plane population at my club and most of the clubs up and down I-75 I go to are dominated by EF planes and I never heard or seen anything like this. Nothing personal, but I'd have to dismiss many of these claims since, as we all know, guys will continue to try to diminish what Extreme Flight has done over the past ten years in this industry for 3D and XA enthusiasts.

There was a point where every plane I even bothered to load up to take to the field was either EF or 3DHS, and now they are both under the same roof. And since Chris has already spoken about the claim, then it seems that even if you had an issue, you never contacted them about it. It's something I would want to know about if it was my business.
The notion that you should dismiss any problem because you aren't aware of it and haven't seen proof, and then cite anecdotal evidence that "guys will continue to try to diminish...." is a bit hypocritical. I mean...that's like me asking for proof that "guys will continue..." and then call foul if you don't provide said proof. I'm also baffled by the sheer blind following. Without knowing for sure, how can you call someone out?
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln1320 View Post
There are the pictures as per your request!
Dismiss it or Not.
I see by your post that you are obviously an EF/3DHS enthusiast.
Understand, I don't have an issue and I did contact the supplier so help me understand what business is this to you ?
I am and from your pics, I still see nothing. Nothing. And I'm just weary of people that have so much to say and nothing to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
The notion that you should dismiss any problem because you aren't aware of it and haven't seen proof, and then cite anecdotal evidence that "guys will continue to try to diminish...." is a bit hypocritical. I mean...that's like me asking for proof that "guys will continue..." and then call foul if you don't provide said proof. I'm also baffled by the sheer blind following. Without knowing for sure, how can you call someone out?
Okay, then let me put it another way so you'll understand it... I don't believe a word you're saying. Get it now?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:28 PM
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
Quote:
"The notion that you should dismiss any problem because you aren't aware of it and haven't seen proof, and then cite anecdotal evidence that "guys will continue to try to diminish...." is a bit hypocritical. I mean...that's like me asking for proof that "guys will continue..." and then call foul if you don't provide said proof. I'm also baffled by the sheer blind following. Without knowing for sure, how can you call someone out?"

Okay, then let me put it another way so you'll understand it... I don't believe a word you're saying. Get it now?
Oh I see... ok I'll play... Which guys at your "club and most of the clubs up and down I-75 are dominated by EF planes"? Name names. and which "guys will continue to try to diminish what Extreme Flight has done over the past ten years in this industry for 3D and XA enthusiasts." Names please. Otherwise I don't believe a word you're saying. Do YOU get it now? Probably not. I'll explain.. Because you can't tell me those peoples name doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 PM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
Nice diversion, but it's cheap and won't work. How about you just check out the vids and pics on the 3D line at Nall this year.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 AM
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
Quote:
Nice diversion, but it's cheap and won't work. How about you just check out the vids and pics on the 3D line at Nall this year.
You still don't get it. It's not a about whether EF/3DHS is popular or revolutionary to our hobby. I personally think they are. I'm a huge fan actually. I have many of their planes. In fact my favorite plane of all time was my 89" electric slick with a neu motor. I could go on and on to illustrate the ways they've contributed to this hobby. I was there from the start. My point though was simply that you can't discount someone else because of your lack of knowledge or a blind brand loyalty. It's not fair to that person and is illogical. That's all. That said, this thread is not about any one brand. Nor anyone's specific problems. So I'll stick to thread topic from here on out. Sorry OP.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Joined May 2019
13 Posts
Quote:
You still don't get it. It's not a about whether EF/3DHS is popular or revolutionary to our hobby. I personally think they are. I'm a huge fan actually. I have many of their planes. In fact my favorite plane of all time was my 89" electric slick with a neu motor. I could go on and on to illustrate the ways they've contributed to this hobby. I was there from the start. My point though was simply that you can't discount someone else because of your lack of knowledge or a blind brand loyalty. It's not fair to that person and is illogical. That's all. That said, this thread is not about any one brand. Nor anyone's specific problems. So I'll stick to thread topic from here on out. Sorry OP.
Nicely said. Got me thinking.

I have not touched a balsa/ply 35% plane in a few years now. We used to fly 3DHS but it was just not strong enough back in the day.

At Nall we saw some kids do a night demo with lights on Friday - day 1 and Friday day 8. I think it was 2 or 3 kids at the same time - very cool stuff. Anyone know what planes were being flown..
Pilot3DFG is offline Find More Posts by Pilot3DFG
Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by velocity
Joined Dec 2011
472 Posts
Quote:
Well said!
velocity is offline Find More Posts by velocity
Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot3DFG View Post

At Nall we saw some kids do a night demo with lights on Friday - day 1 and Friday day 8. I think it was 2 or 3 kids at the same time - very cool stuff. Anyone know what planes were being flown..
Here you go, I was there on Thursday when they did this - very impressive, and here is the Friday vid:
Triple Skywing Laser 260 101" Joe Nall night flight Friday May 17 2019. (9 min 5 sec)
suds is online now Find More Posts by suds
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
Quote:
My point though was simply that you can't discount someone else because of your lack of knowledge or a blind brand loyalty. It's not fair to that person and is illogical. That's all.
What I get is every time someone starts a thread asking what plane we like better, and five or six guys post about their Extreme Flight and 3DHS, someone will come up with something to suggest that anyone who buys one is going to have some issue at some point.

The fact is that Extreme Flight has changed the paradigm many times since I've been flying 3D and every time they did something, like change the fuse to wingspan ratio, or come out with the EXP line, or lower the thickness and add SGFs, or increase the control surface area, or decrease the aspect ratio, or reduce the wing area and increase fuse and stab area, etc, etc, and now go with composites to lower the cube loading, other brands and fans of other brands say something negative about it. It's like you just have to wait for it and there it is. I guess they actually have to defend their own sorry purchase because it's inherently human to do so.

But in the end, every manufacturer that has the resources, comes around or goes away. You can say that old design concepts and building processes are better than the new, and some may even believe you.

Extreme Flight, Pilot RC, AJ-Aircraft, Skywing, and others, are now using the composite building material, and you're knocking them too when you mislead other readers with innuendo and hearsay about the material.

But I know for a fact that Chris Hinson is not a liar like a few in the hobby I have known, and the only thing on this thread that is "well said" is what he said when he posted this on the previous page in response to the "I've heard" baloney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
Simply not true. Would you mind PMing me who told you that?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,093 Posts
Just because a company makes changes does not mean that those changes are always genuine improvements or that they always work out as planned. Some changes that have been made by manufacturers are simply as a point of differentiation in a market full of similar products. Not necessarily because it's actually a better thing in all cases. EF has certainly innovated but they are not the only ones.

Back to the subject at hand:
I have some EF and 3DHS planes and like them. My EF Extra 300 flies great for my not very demanding flying. However, the PAU 100cc Edge 540T I just finished assembling went together with better fit/finish and definitely better hardware than any EF or 3DHS I've put together. I would absolutely buy another PAU if they had a particular model/size in which I was interested. One day I may build an AJ for comparison.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Last edited by RCAddiction; 05-22-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sentence structure correction
Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 AM
pa
Joined Mar 2006
442 Posts
My next 120cc plane is likely to be a Carf-Models Extra 260. A white is only $1340. I had one with a zdz80 and always loved how light it flew. RIP

I'm currently searching for a home for my 3W170cs ts at the moment though. EF, AJ, and Hanger 9 made the top three for me.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:32 AM
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Just because a company makes changes does not mean that those changest are always genuine improvements or that they always work out as planned.
I have no dog in this race and I'm mostly replying to comments I don't feel are accurate or genuine.

My short list right now happens to have two planes that don't have the EF or 3DHS brand, and one is the AJ Slick 540 at 103". The composite material makes the represented weight of 26-27 lbs seemingly realistic, and weight is a component that influences my decisions a lot. But price is another and the 10th Anniversary edition is a bit pricey when you add shipping, IMO.

The Pilot 103" Laser looks like it flies very light too, and 26.35 lb pounds are reported on their website. The video by Orel Zohar showcases the power to weight well too, and it certainly looks like it's 26-27 lbs.

Composite ply in both.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Just because a company makes changes does not mean that those changest are always genuine improvements or that they always work out as planned. Some changes have been made by manufacturers are simply as a point of differentiation in a market full of similar products. Not necessarily because it's actually a better thing in all cases. EF has certainly innovated but they are not the only ones

can I get a "Hooray" for this post .
I had lots of brand loyalty in the beginning and soon realized a better one is coming if you look. my older Pilot Edge had thick wings and flew excellent , then one day they thinned the wings and when I purchased that version it sucked ! same plane just an updated version "V2". Pilot added stiffeners and gussets to help strengthen the new fuse and wings but that just added more weight . NFG !
I always opt for the latest and greatest but sometimes it bites you back where it hurts $$$ . since my years with Aeroworks, Pilot and CARF I now fly a 105" Slick 580 EXP from EF not because of the CF fusion or the company name but because I liked the color
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc

Quick Reply