Old 11-01-2019, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by weathervane.rc
Your other left!!!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2019
14 Posts
Discussion
New to this.

Just as the title says. I'm new to the large scale gas planes.

I recently bought a used Hanger9 46% TOC Ultimate airframe. It came with a throttle servo, two elevator servos and two rudder servos. (pull-pull set up) It still has some of the wiring installed. Power switches servo extensions and so on. All the power system has been pulled. No fuel tank or fuel lines. No engine.

Is there any place I should look for help with wiring? Power dist boards are new to me. Plus there seems to be lots to chose from. I'm guessing the board will depend on the servos I use and current draw? Does the ignition pull power from the board or a separate battery. I saw some kind of an optical kill switch. Not to sure about that yet.

I have a first gen DX8 for this plane. Do I need duel receivers? Again, do they get power from the dist board?

I'm in no rush to get this plane in the air. I will be taking my time to make sure it is done correctly.

Thanks,
-Andrew
weathervane.rc is online now Find More Posts by weathervane.rc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weathervane.rc View Post

I recently bought a used Hanger9 46% TOC Ultimate airframe. It came with a throttle servo, two elevator servos and two rudder servos. (pull-pull set up) It still has some of the wiring installed. Power switches servo extensions and so on. All the power system has been pulled. No fuel tank or fuel lines. No engine.

Is there any place I should look for help with wiring? Power dist boards are new to me. Plus there seems to be lots to chose from. I'm guessing the board will depend on the servos I use and current draw? Does the ignition pull power from the board or a separate battery. I saw some kind of an optical kill switch. Not to sure about that yet.

I have a first gen DX8 for this plane. Do I need duel receivers? Again, do they get power from the dist board?

I'm in no rush to get this plane in the air. I will be taking my time to make sure it is done correctly.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Not trying to be callous, but what you need is a smaller, more simple model and someone, perhaps in a nearby club, who can help you get started.

It's a great hobby, but you've bitten off more than a new guy can chew....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,522 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
-Andrew
Well......for starters, you owe it to yourself to have a serious look at this .....(Zeeb was posting while I was typing)
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
578 Posts
I agree with Zeeb here. That's a very advanced airplane in set-up and equipping. Not saying it's not doable with some experience and study, but it's a big step for a first giant scale plane.

Part of the giant scale challenge for me as I've been stepping up is finding and learning about all kinds of components(servos, receivers, batteries, hardware, etc..)... and using them in smaller planes and coming to learn, trust, and develop my favorite equipment combinations, and knowing it's proven and compatible.

You're DX8 will be very challenging to set up and use. That XPS expander that tande linked to would actually help in your case, but the plane is still going to need many other components.

If you wanted to upgrade a transmitter, to something higher end, say a DX18 or 20, or iX 12, you probably wouldn't need any channel expanders, or power boards. The Spektrum systems combined with Power-Safe receivers would handle it all... It's doable, but it depends on how much you want to, or can spend.

The plane you have is very cool indeed, I think I'm just trying to say it's going to take a boat load of money to fly to it's potential... again very doable, and the best bet is to study it, and spend wisely, mainly because it's your first giant, and they can be big money pits if you don't spend money carefully. It's good that you're not in any hurry, time is on your side.

Many of us have started with smaller planes and worked our way up(and still are). Just keep studying.
Good luck with it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; 11-01-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
1,241 Posts
It would be best to have some one At a club or Even a Model shop help you set it up and help you with servo and Power system choices, Especially if this is your first Large Gas powered plane, it can get pretty complex and daunting , Little mistakes can get expensive.

The 8 Channel Tx is a bit of limit for Bipe, But can be done.

There is Plenty of info on the Answers on what you seek just do a search on here.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 11-02-2019, 06:56 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
639 Posts
Is this is your first giant scale, or your first RC Aircraft period? If the latter I 1000000% agree you need to wait and start on a trainer type aircraft, then a midsize sport plane second, and only then maybe this third.

Even if you have midsize sport plane experience, a 40%er is daunting at first. You will have so many questions we would write a book answering them all... Are there local giant scale pilots in your club who can mentor you? I had a GS guy help me setup and test fly my first gasser, and it was intimidating even with 5 years of prior experience on 60 size glow aerobatic planes.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 11-02-2019, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by weathervane.rc
Your other left!!!
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Oct 2019
14 Posts
Thanks guys,

I agree it is a giant step up from my Night Vapor. <<<<<--------Totally kidding.

No seriously, I have been flying for years. Mostly 40 -90 size. I do have a 1/4 scale Cub in the works waiting to be finished. (will be electric) I have a good friend that I trust and highly respect. He flys a large gas IMAC plane. I can also refer back to the guy I bought it from if needed. So getting help isn't a problem.
I came here to learn, ask questions and get a second or third opinion on things.

-Andrew
weathervane.rc is online now Find More Posts by weathervane.rc
Old 11-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,485 Posts
Quote:
I came here to learn, ask questions and get a second or third opinion on things.

-Andrew
Okay, sounds like you have some help but it still won't help you with the experience necessary to get that beastie up and down again. Or are you going to get someone else to fly it as well?

Next would be the cost factor. I'd recommend that you get yourself one of the newer breed of 25% to 30% size aerobats. There are quite a few out there now from various manufacturers most of whom have good reputations. You should be able to put together a very nicely equipped model that size for less than $2000.

$2000 won't make a dent in getting that Ultimate back together and airworthy. Just a thought.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by randomguy
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Sep 2018
28 Posts
Weathervane,

I think what people are saying above is that there's a *lot* to learn when stepping up to giant scale airplanes and you won't find it all in one thread because there are a lot of subjects to learn and very little is black and white. Giants aren’t just bigger glow planes with power expanders. The mindset to make them successful is somewhere in between club-level glow planes and full-scale airplanes.

You're on the right track with your questions. They’re the tip of your iceberg. The issues go deeper (wire gauge; securing wires from vibration, fatigue, and fingers; securing connectors; are the servos including the throttle servo appropriate for their jobs? What on-board switch(es) will you use and why? Bottlenecks to current flow; …….) and broader (engine/prop/exhaust combinations and mounting, fuel system design; ignition kills; control linkages, vibration-proofing, etc).

If this stuff gets you excited, go for it. If you just want to get it assembled like an ARF and go fly, well, maybe they’ll create a Darwin Awards category for model airplanes

Giants have many more parts that can fail and more vibration, heat and aerodynamic forces trying to make them fail. Even little things that get no attention in smaller models like servo extensions and fuel tubing.

All else being equal, a giant that's put together with the same practices as most club-level glow planes will have things fail more frequently and more memorably than the glow plane, with exponentially greater risk to the people, airplanes, and property around you - not to mention your wallet. For these reasons giants (should) tend to follow more full scale style assembly & setup practices. It can all be learned - nobody is born knowing this stuff - if you put the effort into it. Expect some of the learning to be trial and error.

Can a person go straight from glow planes to a 42% bipe? Yes, for sure. Would it be advisable for most people? Probably not. Can YOU do it? We don’t know you. If you’re curious, thorough, detailed, a proficient sport pilot, and have a mindset that every single piece of the airplane is trying to fail and it’s your job to prevent it - or if you’re just a lucky person or just don’t care - then you probably can as long as you’ve got an experienced giant scale pilot to help you transition.

I would argue that if any of these are missing, your Ultimate might expire before you’re ready for it to. Hopefully it won’t endanger anyone on the way to the crash site.

Learn aggressively from the local pilots you mentioned. There are a number of other IMAC pilots in your general area. Try to get plugged in and learn from them as well. In my experience, competition pilots as a whole tend to take the time to learn to do things well and are a good group to learn from.

Have a blast and let us know how it goes.
randomguy is online now Find More Posts by randomguy
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
842 Posts
WOW you said Go big or go home right!!!. Jumped in head first lol.. I am New to gas planes too.

Been flying them about 6 months now. Loving them, my first one was a 106" 35% Edge 540 with a twin 106 twin on it. For me, after 30 years of flying glow/electrics. Flying them is the easiest part.

learning about gas engines, and tinning, and the hook up in the planes have been a new learning experience to me.

I am using AR8010T rx, in both my gassers, but on your bipe how many aileron servos does it have? 4 at least, maybe 6? not sure on a Bipe of that size.

so your going to need a min of a 9 or 10 channel rx. most would recommend a power safe rx, i think it would be good on this size plane. for sure at least 3 packs, 2 for rx one for ignition get you a electronic kill switch to go in it. Not sure that old DX8 is up to the task. you might want to go and upgrade to a DX9 at least or a IX12.

Make sure the servos are strong enough for the plane, not sure if person you got it from knew what they were doing or not.

best of luck to you.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 11-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,239 Posts
GS planes are easy to fly once set-up correctly. But if not correct you will have a 46% pile of broken plane
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 11-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
578 Posts
Hello!! well the H9 Ultimate is a nice plane but is very old, back then servos were not strong enought so you needed to put an extra one in each surface, last year I biuld one for a friend, only using 1 Savox 1270 per surface and worked great (this are high voltage, so no regs needed)
https://www.savoxusa.com/products/sa...-digital-servo

About received I reccomend you to buy a Spektrum power safe you wont need more (this includes a fail safe switch):
https://www.horizonhobby.com/ar12310...-p-spmar12310t

Honestly I wouldn´t fly this plane with a DX8, maybe you can get a used JR11X , DX9 or go for the Spektrum Ix12, otherwise you will need to use matchbox, with the new radios is easier to match all the servos and you will keep it simple.

For batts I always use 2 Fromeco 5200 for receiver and 2600 for ignition with a badget switch, a DLE 170 will work perfect for your plane with stock mufflers. This bipe is super easy and floaty, just make sure to have someone with experience in big gassers on the first flights until you are confortable with it

have a nice one!
Memo Lomeli
Memo Lomeli is offline Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Last edited by Memo Lomeli; 11-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,514 Posts
sent you a PM im local and would love to help
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 11-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by tazx100
Joined Jun 2018
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
sent you a PM im local and would love to help
This is the way to go.
tazx100 is online now Find More Posts by tazx100
Old 11-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,487 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
-Andrew
You can use the DX8, but I would be on the look out for a good used DX 18. This way, you can upgrade to a 12 ch power safe Rx, and be able to match servos via the Tx.

But, if you insist on keeping the DX8, I would get a 9ch Rx, doesnt have to be PowerSafe. And get yourself the SmartFly EQ10. I'm pretty sure thats the one where you can adjust multiple servos, via the board for your surfaces. You could do PowerBox as well. Those are the 2 I know of and would trust. PowerBoxes are a bit spendy, so beware. The SmartFly is a little less costly.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle

Quick Reply