logo
Old 11-09-2019, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,236 Posts
AR Booma RC has an onboard "smart charging" set-up with multiple chemistry (life,lipo,lion) but you must use their smart lipos and life batts. very nice system never remove the batts. the whole system just needs 12V input
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
If itís been around longer than a decade, itís old school in my book lol!
Today's LiIon batteries are very different than the ones produced just a few years back so they are clearly not old school. Technology has changed the reduced working voltage from what was common with the old LiIon batteries to where they are now the same as LiPo batteries. Add to that they now offer a higher "C" rating than what was available before. They are a far better product than they once were.

Thank the power tool industry, communication equipment requirements and even e cigarettes for this as modern LiIon batteries are used everywhere these days with great results. Even the Tesla cars use them.

For me, I still prefer the robust nature of A123 batteries but would change to LiIon batteries if I required the increased voltage.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 11-10-2019, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Swampflier
Costa Rica, San Josť Province, San Josť
Joined Feb 2007
173 Posts
Enquiring minds want to know...
Other vendors for LiIon or A123's?

Already have PAU and Booma on board..
Swampflier is offline Find More Posts by Swampflier
Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampflier View Post
Enquiring minds want to know...
Other vendors for LiIon or A123's?

Already have PAU and Booma on board..
I just found out about this site and never ordered from them but plan to if i end up with another gas plane It is kinda slim pickings for A123 packs these days. http://www.leisurercmodels.com/life-...cessories.html

Also Wrongwayrc sells them

if someone must use lipos. and they much be up front only way i would do it would be to make a battery tray out of something where you could slide the lipo up into it. then maybe a strap at the back to hold in place. so it can be removed.

A123 packs are the only batterys i will charge inside my plane.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,203 Posts
A123 2500 mah will be in stock this week.
http://www.taildraggerrc.com/a123-batteries/
Also some new 2s 15c lipo rx packs.
http://www.taildraggerrc.com/hv-lipo-rx-packs/
rick dazzler is online now Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 11-11-2019, 08:18 PM
Find More Posts by mattlydon
United States, NY, Tappan
Joined Sep 2006
65 Posts
Mitsu,

Li-ion is a safer chemistry than li-po, same voltage. Typical packaging is metal cylinders, as opposed to plastic sandwiches, so they are physically more robust as well.

The 18650 cells used in vaping rigs and flashlights, that you can get anywhere like amazon, are li-ion. The trick is getting them made into rc packs. There are a ton of YouTube videos on diy battery welders with people making up packs for electric bikes, scooters, or what have you.

Personally, Iíd rather have a pack professionally made up, but itís not rocket science, and much safer than lipo packs for receivers.

In addition to the outfits mentioned above, radicalrc also makes them up

If youíre sticking with life, I heartily recommend NoBS batteries - he make up extremely high quality packs. I just wish heíd do li-ions....

Matt
mattlydon is online now Find More Posts by mattlydon
Old 11-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Today's LiIon batteries are very different than the ones produced just a few years back so they are clearly not old school. Technology has changed the reduced working voltage from what was common with the old LiIon batteries to where they are now the same as LiPo batteries. Add to that they now offer a higher "C" rating than what was available before. They are a far better product than they once were.

Is the working voltage really an issue? LiIon can cells where and still are 3.7v/cell. Modern lipos are also typically always labelled as 3.7 volts per cell.

EDIT - I will stand corrected... I dug though my closed to find my old Triton. It *did* have 3.6 and 3.7 modes but didnt specify which was LiIon orLiPo, just said to read the battery label.

Sorry for confusion!
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 11-15-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by Mitsu1
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Jun 2006
609 Posts
So, ... I'm sold on trying Li-ions to solve my problem. What do you guys think of these Dynamite Reaction 3200mah 7.4V Li-ions sold by Horizon Hobby for $30! ... I think I got to do this
Mitsu1 is offline Find More Posts by Mitsu1
Old 11-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
United States, TX, McAllen
Joined Mar 2006
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu1 View Post
So, ... I'm sold on trying Li-ions to solve my problem. What do you guys think of these Dynamite Reaction 3200mah 7.4V Li-ions sold by Horizon Hobby for $30! ... I think I got to do this

It looks very good, Dynamite always have nice products.
Memo Lomeli is offline Find More Posts by Memo Lomeli
Old 11-13-2019, 02:46 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Is the working voltage really an issue? LiIon can cells where and still are 3.7v/cell. Modern lipos are also typically always labelled as 3.7 volts per cell.

I *think* it was actually earlier LiPo's where lower... think back to when all we had where the red Kokam cells and Thunder Power (and a 3S2200 cost $80!!).... possibly some of those where true 3.6 but my memory is a bit foggy.

Thinking about it even more, the only charger I ever owned that actually had different profiles for LiPo and LiIon was an original (c.2003) Great Planes Triton. It had 3.7 in LiIon mode and 3.6 in LiPo mode.
Interesting! Every modern hobby charger I've had since about 2000 had a LiIon charge routine that was different My first processor based chargers were the Orbit brand from Germany. In all cases the LiIon batteries were rated at 3.6 volts per cell (Vpc) nominal voltage, 4.1 Vpc max charge voltage. All LiPo batteries that I've worked with have always been 3.7 Vpc nominal voltage, 4.2 Vpc max charge voltage or .1 Vpc higher than LiIon across the board. I don't know if LiPo batteries ever were rated at a lower voltage as I've only used them in the hobby in the last 15 -17 years or so.

Several years ago the industry increased the nominal voltage on newer LiIon batteries by that .1V and I can remember consulting the various data sheets for confirmation. I don't use these batteries in the hobby but was curious about the change. All of my LiIon based power tools use the higher voltage.

Edit: Scouting through a number of different mfgr. data sheets, I see LiIon batteries rated at both voltages! Perhaps just a slight difference in the products between the various companies, but there are differences.
Last edited by Truckracer; 11-13-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Joined Jun 2006
609 Posts
Output lead wire gauge?

Why don't some high performance batteries come with a more hefty guage output lead? The appearance of feeding the 14 gauge input leads of my Powersafe receiver with these 20 gauge outputs leaves me a bit "uneasy" ...

upload images
Last edited by Mitsu1; 11-14-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,838 Posts
Agree on the lead size. If I bought that product, the first thing I would do is remove the shrink wrap and see what brand of cells the pack is made from. The lead could then be replaced. But .... easier to just buy a product with a known track record and desired configuration including lead size, connector type, etc.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Why don't some high performance batteries come with a more hefty guage output lead? The appearance of feeding the 14 gauge input leads of my Powersafe receiver with these 20 gauge outputs leaves me a bit "uneasy" ...

upload images
Fromeco, you can get 16 gauge with deans, ec3, MPX, or JR connectors. I get the 16gauge and a second JR connector so I donít have to unplug them and can charge and load check them through the JR connector. If you need them with extra long leads, extra short, extra heat shrink..whatever, they will do it just ask.
camss69 is online now Find More Posts by camss69
Old 11-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Joined Jun 2006
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by camss69 View Post
Fromeco, you can get 16 gauge with deans, ec3, MPX, or JR connectors. I get the 16gauge and a second JR connector so I donít have to unplug them and can charge and load check them through the JR connector. If you need them with extra long leads, extra short, extra heat shrink..whatever, they will do it just ask.
Ok, good information to have. I ordered the ones above though, already from Horizon Hobby. A couple things I've noticed though, looking at Fromeco's site, I don't see a balance lead shown on any, and they only show two sizes .. 2600mah or 5200mah. Also, I never see any C ratings on Li-ions it seems. No real idea what is supposedly going thru the leads of the Dynamite Li-ions here.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
toledo ohio
Joined Jan 2009
10,518 Posts
Quote:
Ok, good information to have. I ordered the ones above though, already from Horizon Hobby. A couple things I've noticed though, looking at Fromeco's site, I don't see a balance lead shown on any, and they only show two sizes .. 2600mah or 5200mah. Also, I never see any C ratings on Li-ions it seems. No real idea what is supposedly going thru the leads of the Dynamite Li-ions here.
When I order from Fromeco i ask to have balance leads installed. They will put on what you want.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply