Old 11-22-2019, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by LADYHAWK13
LADYHAWK13
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Feb 2015
2 Posts
Discussion
HELP! Identify Older Model w/YS 120 Engine

I just inherited the plane pictured from a friend who flew RC for many years. I have no idea what model it is and would appreciate any help identifying it.
It is powered by a YS SUPER CHARGED 120 engine & has a 72" wing span--the plane is complete & ready to fly. I plan to list it for a quick sale as a pick-up only in Lincoln, CA which is 30 miles NW of Sacramento.
LADYHAWK13 is offline Find More Posts by LADYHAWK13
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Oct 2013
433 Posts
Goldberg Sukhoi, version 1 - landing gear mounted to wing, version 2 had landing gear mounted to fuselage. I think N94CG means 1994, Carl Goldberg.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Last edited by William_Burkert; 11-22-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Burkert View Post
Goldberg Sukhoi, version 1 - landing gear mounted to wing, version 2 had landing gear mounted to fuselage. I think N94CG means 1994, Carl Goldberg.
You are correct. Never flew the Sukhoi, but flew the snot out of the Extra 300 they made!
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 11-24-2019, 02:58 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
578 Posts
Yes... what they said. FYI- There's also a belly-pan that goes under the wing(it's removable, and is installed for flight, then removed to get wing off). I'm not seeing it in the pics... maybe it's there somewhere, but if it's not I thought you might want to know. That belly pan really cleans up the bottom.. if it's not there it really should have it.

Fiberglass Specialties still makes them... part# CG-10A if you're interested or curious.

I built one of these way back in the late 90's. I had a Moki 1.80 in mine. It was nuts, but flew fantastic!!
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 11-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,485 Posts
That YS is pretty rare. The "AC" designation is for "air chamber" which is the black box on the rear of the cylinder. When it came out, it just blew the competition away it's so powerful. That would be a fun airplane to fly but that engine like all YS engines, is fussy about tuning and you do not mess with the needles like you would with an OS or such.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 11-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
644 Posts
^^^ +1 YS's where the engines that all us mere mortals flying Enya, OS and Saito lusted after. Those where the hot rod competition pattern engines back in the 90s. Bolt up a Hatori pipe and hang on...

As Zeeb mentions, they work very differently than any other glow engine (or gassers for that matter). I never owned one but flew some buddies planes with them and have seen the theory. The deal is that the crankcase is used as a low pressure supercharger - the mix is drawn down through the carb, into the case, back out again and up into the intake. That air chamber acts as some type of accumulator holding more charge for the intake stroke and I think allowed hte cylinder to fill better vs. the non AC version. They also use a fuel tank exhaust pressure line with a check valve and a regulator (the adjusting screw on the bottom front of the case) to give pressurized fuel delivery.... I *think* - but dont quote me on it - both the idle and main spraybars react more like fuel injection than carburettion, and property tuning it is a delicate mix of both needle and regulator settings.

Read the manual and have fun. Im jealous.

Nice find!
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 11-25-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
United States, LA, Berwick
Joined Mar 2010
104 Posts
They really like nitro. I used to run Wildcat Pro Pattern 30%, most of those finicky tuning issues disappear with high nitro. Mine would turn an APC 17x8 faster than a Saito 180.
rcmigpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM
Find More Posts by LADYHAWK13
LADYHAWK13
United States, CA, Lincoln
Joined Feb 2015
2 Posts
For Sale!

I will sell the YS-120 for $249.00 shipped in USA only or The complete Airplane with the YS-120 for $449.
(Pick up only) Lincoln, CA Payment through PayPal on YS-120. Cash on Pick up on in Lincoln, CA.
Check my 150 positive feedback on RC Groups. Thanks, Jeannette
LADYHAWK13 is offline Find More Posts by LADYHAWK13
Last edited by LADYHAWK13; 11-25-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply