Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by wpura
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 14SG programming for kill switch

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there could explain how to program a 14SG for an optical kill switch for gas engines.
I recently bought the 14SG for the telemetry, but up to now have been using the 9C for both glow and gas. I found that programming a kill witch with the 9C was easy using the Thottle cut and setting up the switch and channel.
In the SG the Throttle cut appears " closed" to switch setting, which is OK for glow but I can't see how to use that for a another channel for an opto switch.

Thanks,
Bill
wpura is offline Find More Posts by wpura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,059 Posts
Just use any available channel fot the opto kill, assign it to the switch of your choice and set the switch on/off direction to your preference. The throttle cut function should still be there on throttle, this gives you two ways to kill the engine.
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by wpura
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions but I just can't see my way through the choices on the SG. I can assign a switch to a channel, say I want to use channel five for the kill switch and I designate switch B, but then what?
On the 9C it gives you the option to activate it, and position- up or down - I can find no such menu choice on the SG. I have a feeling that I don't understand their flow chart, but unlike the 9C manual there are no examples, so I am completely baffled!
Bill
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,454 Posts
Assign the switch you want to the channel you want to use for the kill.

Go into the servo reversing menu to set the direction for kill that you want.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by wpura
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but that is obscure! And of course the manual says nothing about that. I will try a set-up tomorrow.
B
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,454 Posts
It is no different than assigning any other function. The optical kill is just another function. Assign a channel, a control, and determine the direction. Just like you do for anything else (rudder, elevator, etc.).
Last edited by Judge; 06-26-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM
bax
Find More Posts by bax
bax
United States, IL, Monticello
Joined Apr 2007
172 Posts
Don't forget that you may need to adjust the endpoints of the channel selected. Some devices need the channel to move more than the "regular" amount, so you go into the Endpoint section of the Linkage Menu and make the Travel numbers larger so that the optical switch works correctly.
bax is offline Find More Posts by bax
Old 06-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,454 Posts
Good point, although I have never needed to do that with any optical kill I've used in the past. But it does extend the logic that setting up an optical kill basically follows the same logic as setting up a servo on a surface:

Select the channel
Select the control
Set the Endpoints
Set the direction of operation
Old 06-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by wpura
Flyin' Around
Joined Oct 2012
6 Posts
Hi, I got this message from Futaba service today:

The easiest way to do what you are wanting is to create a Prog. mix.

Make sure in your Function menu that channel 5 is listed as Gear( for example) and the control is SWB. Then go into your first Prog.mix, and scroll to the second page, Activate this, set the master to H/W, this will then take you to a screen where you will select again SWB. Now you are going to set the slave to Gear. Scroll back to the first page and set your rates in the top half of the page. I would set these to full 100% both ways.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,454 Posts
Well, that's one way to do it I guess. Not the way I have ever seen or heard of it or done myself however. Pick whichever makes the most sense to you and go with it. That's the beauty of this radio. Many paths lead to the same destination.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,383 Posts
There are many ways for sure. But I am with Judge on this one. When you have a radio like this one, and the 12/14/18 MZ, that has a function menu. This lets you directly control what each channel does. Literally you can go to the function menu, and directly make a switch control that channel. Plug the optical kill into that channel, choose the direction of on and off at the reverse menu, and then like Bax says, maybe adjust endpoints. (Smart fly I never had to adjust end points) No fuss, no muss, no mix.
We have done things like this as a mix in the past, but only before we had the function menu (pre 9 Zap in Futaba's case if memory serves)
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams
Old 10-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Roly
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
Futaba 14SG Twin Motor Programing

ESC and Motor steering with Motor Kill Switch
That brought me to the problem of how to steer it on the ground during take-off and landing. I considered a steerable nose wheel linked to the aileron servo but this seemed beyond my model building skills.
Since I had a 4 channel receiver on the model, I could connect each motor to its own channel and use the "Prog Mix" on my Futaba 8FG to enable differential motor control. This would allow for steering, but in flight could lead to disaster!
My final configuration consisted of 3 flight conditions controlled by a 3-position switch:
1. throttle cut: both motors are off no matter what the stick positions,
2. Differential throttle on rudder stick: This is the flight condition used for taxiing. In this condition the the throttle stick controls both motors, but in addition/subtraction the rudder stick adds in up to 50% differential. As you can see in the video, left rudder reduces the left motor and increases the right motor; the opposite happens with right rudder.
3. No differential: this is the condition used for normal flight. The rudder stick is disabled and both motors are controlled only by the throttle stick.
Note; that motor trim is enabled but the same trim is present for all conditions, unlike Futaba Heli or Glider programming. This happens because there is no genuine "condition" menu for simple motor aircraft models.
Fuel Mix in the Function Menu
If you are willing to use a single throttle cut switch for both engines Futaba provide a tailor-made function on the 14SG for controlling twin IC engines, although they do not advertise it as such. It may be of interest to other readers, here is a brief explanation.
Set up one engine in the normal way with the Throttle Function. Set up throttle cut, idle down, exponential or throttle curves as required.
• Now connect the second engine to a spare channel and assign Fuel Mix in the LINKAGE MENU – “FUNCTION” option.
• Go to “Model Menu” and select ‘Fuel Mix’.
• Go to the Fuel Mix Menu and activate it. For a basic setup, that is all that is required.
o Ignore page 1/3 ‘5-point Curve setting’ - it does not apply to Electric Motors
o Activate the function on page 2/3 – ACT – select ON.
 Select “UnMix” so the throttle stick (J-3) becomes the ‘master’.
 THR CUT - 0%
 IDLE DOWN - 0%
o Ignore page 3/3 all should be at 0% except the ACT POS default will be LOW 25% and HIGH at 75%
The Fuel Mix will automatically respond to whatever control is assigned to the Throttle Function (e.g. J3).
• Any switches assigned to Idle Down and Throttle Cut are also automatically adopted by Fuel Mix but you can enter different idle down and throttle cut values for the second engine. This greatly simplifies setup.
• The Fuel Mix channel can also automatically follow any exponential and Throttle Curve settings applied to the Throttle Channel.
“That’s IT”
Roly is offline Find More Posts by Roly

Quick Reply