logo
Old 05-17-2020, 07:24 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Oct 2015
291 Posts
Discussion
LIPO Storage charge percentage

I don't know much about lipos, but I am learning more. I know the target per cell storage charge is ideally 3.8v, or between 55% and 60%. I have 3 Hyperion hargers, two single port AC/DC chargers of the same model, and a dual port DC charger.

The dual port charger storage charges each cell to 3.8xx volts, or about 61%. And I believe tht can be adjusted. But it's pretty close.

Despite the single port manual saying it will stop storage charge at 60%, both of them actually put a storage charge of 64% (3.9 1x v). There is no way to adjust the storage charge setting.

Due to weather, health, and life in general, my batteries typically sit weeks, and too often months. For best long term battery health, should I be concerned about the 64% vs something between 55% and 60% or closer to 3.8v?

Thanks!
BHFG is online now Find More Posts by BHFG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
2,235 Posts
No that is fine , I would not be worried about 60% capacity, Generally 50%+- of capacity is the storage charge capacity, and with in a few weeks it will self discharge to that.

My Lipo & Life cells normally storage change to about 55%.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 05-17-2020, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
No that is fine , I would not be worried about 60% capacity, Generally 50%+- of capacity is the storage charge capacity, and with in a few weeks it will self discharge to that.

My Lipo & Life cells normally storage change to about 55%.
I would be really happy at 55%, and even 60%. But 64% seems a little high. Are you saying it is not high enough too cause any longevity problems?
Old 05-17-2020, 08:58 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
2,235 Posts
Try plugging it back in after a 30 mins or so and see what the voltage and Percentage is then, you many find that it will drop off a little so it maybe at the 60% mark,

I would try it in a battery tester and check the cell voltage that way, Some chargers do have variance in voltage and the Percentage i find it not allways 100 correct its more of a estimate.

I cant see it negatively affecting the life of you lipos, Most of those battery types are good for about 5-7 years and suspect you will wear them out before that
Old 05-17-2020, 09:41 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
291 Posts
[QUOTE=I would try it in a battery tester and check the cell voltage that way, Some chargers do have variance in voltage and the Percentage i find it not allways 100 correct its more of a estimate.
[/QUOTE]

You might be onto something, I compared my Hyperion battery checker reading to my two Hyperion charger's per cell readings and they all match, which makes sense since they are all the same brand. Then I checked it with it with my Turnigy checker and it read 5% lower.

Now the question is, which one is accurate?
Old 05-17-2020, 09:46 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHFG View Post
You might be onto something, I compared my Hyperion battery checker reading to my two Hyperion charger's per cell readings and they all match, which makes sense since they are all the same brand. Then I checked it with it with my Turnigy checker and it read 5% lower.

Now the question is, which one is accurate?
Brand to brand will always have some variance in voltage readings.

If you have a decent multi meter that will show you a very accurate reading.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,781 Posts
No. Anything typically less than 4V/cell will be fine. All my Rx packs are LiPo. If I fly once or 4 times after I charge for the day, my packs never see a charger until the next time out for that airplane. Even my larger 6/12S 5K mAh packs, get nearly fully depleted. But I put something back in them, until I get home to put them in storage charge.

I used to always keep all my LiPo's fully charged, for weeks/months at a time. This was 15 years ago, so ya know. I saw shorter flight times, even on my smaller 2/3S indoor packs.

I use 2 iChargers to do all my work. A 308 and a 406. I have a Futaba checker that I won at an event years ago. Like it was said above, if you get different readings, a digital volt meter will tell you, what you want to know about your DC battery voltage. I have used some Turnigy stuff before, and I think thats what killed my A123 packs in my 42% bird, years ago. So, I yanked them packs out and put LiPo in. So, I avoid anything Turnigy related like the plague, not to mention Hobby King as well.
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,990 Posts
Standard practice is 3.78-3.85v/cell for storage. You can go higher or lower a handful of percent without ill effects.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..

Quick Reply