logo
Old 02-21-2017, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Tseres
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Been busy with other things. I have to squeeze in some time as I can.

Finished off the canister tunnel and the venting for the canisters.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Got a lot done today in between the have to do's. Installed the throttle servo and linkage. Installed the fuel lines and the McFueler. Waiting on a sticker before I take the picture. Ordered the Graphics. Ordered the Elevator Servos. Installed the ignition. Pinned and Fuel-proofed the firewall.
Whatever goes in the plane now is permanent.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I woke up this morning and it was snowing so I built some baffles for the DA-170.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
With most of the reconstruction finished, I decided to turn my attention to the Servos and Wiring. Started out by Installing the servos in the wing. I decided to use the Hitec 7950's that came out of the original Cookie for the wings. I'm reducing the servos to 2 per wing. The other plane had 3 7955's in it. I'm going from 6 V to HV so the amount of torque available is about the same as before. Maybe a little more.
I also decided to go from 2 servos per elevator to one in each one. Didn't have any other High voltage servos so I called my friend Brian at Code 3 Innovations. He was out of the 2230 that I was looking for but he Suggested these new 2290's. I was looking for something over 500 oz of torque. These are rated at about 695 Oz. of Torque and are fast at that. This is more then two 7955's. Since I don't believe that there is such a thing as overkill. I took him up on his suggestion.
Got my Taildragger RC 20 gauge servo wires out and started making up some wiring harnesses. This is as far as I got today.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I stopped working on Cookie II because there still aren't any landing gears available... I did get the Graphics package from B&E Graphics. It will look like the rest of my 3ooSP's. Only Bigger.
I got the new 60cc version of the Extra from PAU about that time and decided to put it together first. There were some major changes from my old Blue 300SP. Made the fuse taller wider an longer to fit the DA70. Added one inch to the wingspan and added counterbalance and made the elevators bigger. It is now to the Specks of the 330SC and the name was changed to reflect this. Should be better for 3D.
Just about finished with the 330SC. All I need to do is balance it and set up throws. It will be ready to maiden when the weather allows it.
Should be back working on Cookie II tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:41 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Got the graphics 2 weeks ago from B&E Graphics. Put them on this morning. Just wanted to see what it's is going to look like. This is the 42% PAU Extra. It's this years IMAC plane. Not the one I was building the last 2 weeks.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Nov 2011
1,054 Posts
nice looking hot rod Tom
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Yesterday, I tidied up the wiring inside of the 42% Extra. Then started repairing the wheel pants and replaced the two bent axles... The gear cuffs are so thin and shattered that I don't think I can repair them. Good news is that the new replacement landing gears are due to leave the factory in bout 2 weeks.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I don't like to work with fiberglass so it's going slow. Ran out of primer so I'll have to finish the wheel pants tomorrow.
I forgot to mention in yesterdays post that I repaired the wheel pants with 4 oz. cloth and 30 minute epoxy.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I'm re posting the before picture from a couple of posts ago for a before and after effect. Letting the paint dry over night. Mounted the Cowl, prop and spinner on the plane. I'll mount the wheel pants and balance it so I can mount the batteries next. Starting to look like a plane again. I see light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Finished off the wheel pants and balanced the plane so I would know where to mount the batteries.
This plane is going to be different for me. I'm going against my tried and true set up. I've been reluctant to use Lipos for powering my gassers. Mostly because I like to charge my planes with the battery in them. I have these Pulse batteries perfect for a high voltage setup. I thought I might as well use them. I had to make them easily removable so I made a pocket to keep them in. one velcro strap for each one and they can be charged outside of the plane. I no longer have a personal problem with using Lipos in my gassers.
This is only my second plane with what is now considered high voltage. 7.4 V. Another thing I'm doing different is I'm using a separate ignition battery. This is a Life 6V setup with a Smart Fly opto kill setup. I'm sure I will like this. I just seems like a lot more work to charge 3 batteries then 2. I'll get used to it.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Put a dash panel and a floor board in the Canopy. Forgot to get a pilot. I'll be ordering one tomorrow from Aircraft international. Have to be IMAC legal.
Got some news that the landing gear is on the way. Should be here Monday.
Plane looks pretty good.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseres View Post
Got some news that the landing gear is on the way. Should be here Monday.
Plane looks pretty good.
Plane looks damn good Tamas. Your craftsmanship is 2nd to none as always.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 04-03-2017, 05:40 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Back to working on my planes. The rest of the parts to finish the 42% Extra started arriving at 1pm today . It was the landing gear and Cuffs from PAU. I knew the cuffs were going to be the wrong collor but I told Herve Lejeune at PAU that I didn't care, I can paint them white.
I started on the Cuffs since they needed to be painted. I Cracked the new cuff right off the start. No I didn't cuss but came close. It's easy to repair them if they aren't Shattered. I just took a piece of .75 oz fiberglass Cloth and glued it to the inside with medium CA. You have to sand the inside before gluing. I used 150 grit dry paper. Spread the glue around with a baggie on my fingers to soak into the F/G Cloth. Almost an instant fix. It is now as strong or stronger then new... Wet sand the outside, one coat of primer and 2 coats of paint and its good as new still.
The pilot also got here about 2:30pm from Aircraft International. I always re color the pilot to match my plane with Magic Markers. Because my friend Pamela Marcum complained the last time that the hair and mustache wasn't gray enough to be me. I also used some latex white paint to color the hair and paint on the mustache.
Had to take the canopy outside cause the lights reflected to bad off the canopy to show the pilot. My trusty guard dog promptly decided to inspect it. I guess she liked it cause she didn't chew it up.
Had to take the mufflers out to change the gear. I put it back together as much as I could. I have to finish the Cuffs before I can go any further. Now it's like watching paint dry.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
This is all got done on my plane yesterday. The cuffs are finished and mounted with Clear silicone. I will have to re drill the wheel pants to line up with the new gear holes.

Quick Reply