logo
This thread is privately moderated by Al Lewis, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts
Re: Just For Newbee's to Gassers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobp View Post
I bought a plane with an Opti-Kill switch that was run off the gear switch on my Tx. However, it stopped working. I then bypassed the opti-kill, so power goes right from the ignition switch to the Ignition itself. I then programmed my throttle servo to the gear switch so that when I hit the gear switch, it moves the throttle all the way to zero point so it cuts the engine off. Mechanically, I've accomplished what I need, i.e., having a kill switch on the radio. Beyond that, is there any problem with this setup?
Yes, what happens if your throttle servo locks open? You should always run a cut-off switch on the EI for your safety and the planes.
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvtzemerak View Post
Hey guys,
Should i start out with glow first? I havnt even tried that yet ( Ive been the elecric kid at the field )
Would it help me understand gas set-up better?
Thanks!
--PvT
I wouldn't bother with glow. Messy, too much tweaking to get them to run right, and tons of stupid equipment you have to carry around. Not easier than gas by any means. Maybe find someone in your area that flies gas and have them show you the setup...it is pretty simple really.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by backfired
Omaha, Ne
Joined Jan 2008
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKENHAWK61 View Post
Nice video Al......have any idea what engine this is?

I have an engine identical to this one and was told it was a older model Brison 3.2. I notice that your mechanical timing advance is removed, assume you have a synchro spark installed. I just ordered the synchro spark for mine from CH ignition. How does your engine run? Would like to see a pic of your ignition box.
backfired is offline Find More Posts by backfired
Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Pimpalicious
Germany, BY, Bamberg
Joined May 2006
2,241 Posts

Gas engines are easier to run then glow engines. I usually had to adjust my glow engine every single time I would fly. I would also have to hook up my glow starter. Sometimes plugs would go bad also.

Gas engines all you do is fuel up, ignition on, flip prop and fly. No extra equipment and less mess to clean up. They are little different then glow engines but the installation is just as easy and requires less fuel lines.

With the advent of some affordable gas engines that are reliable you can really get into a bigger gas plane vs. putting that money into say a nice 4 stroke glow motor.
airborneSGT is offline Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Old 09-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by ibanezex718
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts

Well, I'm new to gassers, and just about to assemble my first set up. I just ordered and will be receiving the new Aeroworks Edge 540 50cc along with the DLE-55. From what I gathered this should be a decent set up. Now from my understanding the engine only comes with the ignition, which seems pretty standard. However, I'm seeing that many set ups have regulators and and ignition cut off. Well I'm looking for an all in one deal. I've been looking at the smart-fly PowerExpander Sport Plus. This says it has built in BatShare, Ignition Cutoff and can be used with an optional failsafe switch. So my question is would this serve for just about everything I need for this particular set up?
ibanezex718 is offline Find More Posts by ibanezex718
Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

I have never used one but from the on-line literature it would appear to have what you need. I prefer to run the EI side of the house totally isolated from the rest. Perhaps someone using one could comment.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lewis View Post
I have never used one but from the on-line literature it would appear to have what you need. I prefer to run the EI side of the house totally isolated from the rest. Perhaps someone using one could comment.
I'm assuming it would be a easier solution using a 3 amp regulator for the EI. Would you suggest I use one as well for the RX side? And one other concern is this is my first aircraft using separate elevator servos, would I hook these servos up on separate channels as I would with the Ailerons? Or is there another method of doing this? I am only using a 7-channel system with the Futaba 7c fasst system.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

I think you'll find that the Futaba 7 channel won't support dual elevator servos. You'll need a Y reverser for the elevators.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXAFN1&P=K
Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by Pvtzemerak
Fly hard or go home ;)
Boyertown, PA
Joined Apr 2009
204 Posts

Quote:
Depends on your circumstances. If you've become an accomplished pilot with electrics then there's no reason you couldn't go straight into gas with a 72" and a DLE-30 or even a 28% or 30% with a DLE-55. If you're still learning you might want to go to a trainer such as the Nexstar until you're comfortable with your flying skills. Don't know what electrics you've been flying but if it's the light weights you're going to want a little more experience with the heavier wing loading, especially the landing part. As far as glow versus gas, I find that the gas planes require less field equipment and are cheaper to operate.
Oh, no.
I have been flying for around 3 years ( see thread ) - https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...an-maiden.html
Building is one thing that gets me though, i really took my time on my texan and it turned out great, but it was a simple electric build. Im just kinda worried about building my first gas plane, not too much about flying it.
but, i guess its just experience, I do have a couple guys at my field who fly gas, i could ask them
Thanks,
--PvT
Pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by Pvtzemerak
Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

If you have people locally it's always best to get with them so you can actually see a setup and have someone there to help you "hands on" if you have a problem. Good Luck!!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts

Quote:
If you have people locally it's always best to get with them so you can actually see a setup and have someone there to help you "hands on" if you have a problem. Good Luck!!
One last simple question. I'm using a dle-55 engine, what oil would you recommend using? Would your average lawn two-cycle oil work, or could I use the oil I use in my 2 stroke dirtbike?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

The only oil I use is Belray H1R synthetic mixed at 40:1.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts

Haha well good thing thats the same stuff I run in my motorcycle, I think I might run it at 50:1 after break in
Old 09-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

I've tried both and the 40:1 gives the same power and runs a little cooler.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts

are you running it on a dle-55? If so, how do you like it, and how does it run?

Quick Reply