Find More Posts by MadMonkey
That's "MISTER" idiot to you!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts
Re: Can I really trust this 2.4 stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
No, but I guarantee more than 85% of the problems are user induced. No one I know has had an issue with 2.4 since they began flying it, but they all have solid, quality setups. I have both Futaba and Spektrum, with 1000s of flights, and not ONE issue. Unfortunately, not all modelers take the proper time or car to set things up correctly. Unfortunately, that is not 2.4, 72mhz, or Ham-Bands fault...
That's more like it.

I think I'm in the 15% minority of the users who actually have radio problems. I know I'm getting rid of the 9303 and probably picking up an Airtronics... people seem to have great experiences with them and Futaba at my field. Funny because I've been a JR snob for years.... but after losing 2 planes to the 2.4 9303 and crashing another twice, I'm going with something different.

My 72mhz 9303 hasn't given me any issues except when I used crappy GWS receivers in cheap electrics, and several crashes with 3 different Berg receivers that were supposedly the "best"

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
MadMonkey is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts

Did you reuse electronics after those crashes? Did you try and send your radio in?
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadBowl View Post
Did you reuse electronics after those crashes? Did you try and send your radio in?
After the first crash I tried the the receiver (AR6100E) in another plane, and the range check was just as bad which led me to believe it was a bad receiver.

However, I tried a BRAND NEW JR921 receiver in another plane and lost all control after a high speed pass and it completely destroyed it. I also lost contact multiple times with an EDF jet which almost resulted in more crashes.

I haven't gotten around to sending it in yet, but I'm not using it for anything except cheap foamies now.

As for the Bergs, I tried 3 different receivers in 2 different planes with every antenna routing imaginable and still managed to crash them all after complete loss of control (all electric planes). Interestingly, I've had no issues in glow planes with them.

As it is, I'm frustrated and am no longer buying JR products when possible. After spending that much on the radio and expensive receivers, I'm just not willing to take a chance again. My DX6i was more reliable than this, and even it caused me to crash my T-Rex 450.

I might just go back to 72 for a while before switching to the Airtronics. 16 years of 72 and the only time I had issues was with POS receivers...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by BigExtra260
Brownsburg, IN
Joined Jun 2009
180 Posts

Do you guys ever range check your 2.4 to make sure it is bound properly?
BigExtra260 is offline Find More Posts by BigExtra260
Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

yup certainly!!!
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Find More Posts by leepord geko
Swiss Miss
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

If you range check and come back to find one of the satellites is blinking what does that mean?
leepord geko is offline Find More Posts by leepord geko
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
After the first crash I tried the the receiver (AR6100E) in another plane, and the range check was just as bad which led me to believe it was a bad receiver.

However, I tried a BRAND NEW JR921 receiver in another plane and lost all control after a high speed pass and it completely destroyed it. I also lost contact multiple times with an EDF jet which almost resulted in more crashes.

I haven't gotten around to sending it in yet, but I'm not using it for anything except cheap foamies now.

As for the Bergs, I tried 3 different receivers in 2 different planes with every antenna routing imaginable and still managed to crash them all after complete loss of control (all electric planes). Interestingly, I've had no issues in glow planes with them.

As it is, I'm frustrated and am no longer buying JR products when possible. After spending that much on the radio and expensive receivers, I'm just not willing to take a chance again. My DX6i was more reliable than this, and even it caused me to crash my T-Rex 450.

I might just go back to 72 for a while before switching to the Airtronics. 16 years of 72 and the only time I had issues was with POS receivers...

have you thought of maybe there is something with the electric motors or speed controllers causing a interference issue. it doesnt make sense that only the electric setups have issues. i know of alot of people using jr and all electric and no issues. so maybe there is an investigation needed. just a thought.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

If I found only 1 Rx blinking I'd be a little worried. At best you turned off your plane but not the radio and then turned the plane back on. The Rx thought it was a brownout and only 1 of your RX's is the new quick connect.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepord geko View Post
If you range check and come back to find one of the satellites is blinking what does that mean?
Did you use a data logger to see the statistics from that antenna?
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post

MadMonkey,

I certainly don't mean to belittle you, I'm just trying to help.

Did you range test the R921? How many satellites? How was your transmitter antenna oriented? Do you have a native 2.4 system, or module based? Did you use a data logger?

I hate to hear of your misfortunes, but you could have something wrong that has caused you lose airplanes. I think if you were a little more proactive with sending the transmitter in if you thought there could be an issue with it, it may have saved you some greif.

From my experience, 2.4 is more tolerant of poor setups than 72 was. It's not perfect, and I doubt you'll solve anything by switching radio brands. To me, that signals that you think there is something inherently wrong with DSSS, versus FHSSS. Before you go and spend more money, I would send the radio in, that way if you want to sell it, you at least have a good bill of health to go with it.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by leepord geko
Swiss Miss
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts

I didn't have a data logger and this was the day of the crash on my Extra but after rebinding and doing extensive range tests and removing a old satelite I had on the AR9000 it worked perfectly for 4 flights and then a lockup. The batteries on board where not a fault and I rechecked the system in the end I believe it was the tx pack that went bad and dropped voltage. I brought this up in another thread but anyways I've had my good and bad luck with 2.4 the only problem I'm seeing is a lot less problems with Futaba Faast then Jr/Spektrum. So far with a friends experience on it after 3 years of no problems I would switch over to a 10Fg if I had the funds to replace all my receivers and radio. btw I sent the radio and receivers back to HH for check up.
leepord geko is offline Find More Posts by leepord geko
Old 12-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
have you thought of maybe there is something with the electric motors or speed controllers causing a interference issue. it doesnt make sense that only the electric setups have issues. i know of alot of people using jr and all electric and no issues. so maybe there is an investigation needed. just a thought.
The reason most people have trouble with electrics is that the BEC on the speed control is not up to task of running the receiver and a bunch of servos. Undervoltage--- Brown out-- Crash... Most small speed controls can only run 2-3 small servos. Input voltage- ie number of cells can affect the BEC capacity too- more cells =lower output for the BEC..
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I've only had one or two glow planes with 2.4 so far, but I haven't flown them very much. They could have issues too, I don't know yet.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by MikeRSmith
Savoy, ILLinois USA
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts

What is a satellite??????????????????
MikeRSmith is offline Find More Posts by MikeRSmith
Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by MikeRSmith
Savoy, ILLinois USA
Joined Jun 2007
59 Posts

Why do some of you guys put PICs of your son's girl friend on her?
MikeRSmith is offline Find More Posts by MikeRSmith

Quick Reply