logo
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by chicj1
Flyin' Around
United States, OK, Collinsville
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts
Looking good Terry. They do fly great don't they?
chicj1 is offline Find More Posts by chicj1
Last edited by chicj1; 04-04-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh58skid View Post
The maiden went really well...all I can say is WOW......this is an awesome flying airplane.
It only required 2 clicks of up trim and no aileron trim....Aileron rolls are axial and there is no coupling in knife edge. I am hoping to put a bunch of flights on it this weekend at the IMAC contest in Hagerstown.
Terry,

Great looking plane. Really like the scheme!! LOL

Hope you get many great flights
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by brian kelley
IMAC FANATIC
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined May 2013
427 Posts
Fantastic job Terry, Im envious of everyone getting their maidens in, keps me motivaed, wondering what AUW ended at, i know its just a number but curious. Geez, more i look at the ppics the prettier it gets, again, well done sir, well done.
brian kelley is offline Find More Posts by brian kelley
Old 04-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by RCscudder
Team Chimosabe
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Nice job oh58skid!! Looks really good! Flies amazing doesn't it.

Matt
RCscudder is offline Find More Posts by RCscudder
Last edited by RCscudder; 04-01-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by oh58skid
South La. transplanted to Cuddebackville, NY
Joined Mar 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kelley View Post
Fantastic job Terry, Im envious of everyone getting their maidens in, keps me motivaed, wondering what AUW ended at, i know its just a number but curious. Geez, more i look at the ppics the prettier it gets, again, well done sir, well done.
Thanks Brian, I have not weighed it, but if I do I will let you know
oh58skid is offline Find More Posts by oh58skid
Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Team Chimosabe
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
I flew the jtec in its first contest this weekend. It flew amazing, I'm loving it!! I took home second place in intermediate, thirteen points away from first. Not bad for finishing the plane two weeks ago and only having 6 flights on it.

Matt
Old 04-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Team Chimosabe
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
David and Brian, great flying this weekend!!
Old 04-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Find More Posts by brian kelley
IMAC FANATIC
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined May 2013
427 Posts
Thanks Matthew, I learn a lil from you and the upperclassmen every time we fly and every event attended, awesome weekend !
Hey Al and Kevin, that pic word sure look a lot better with a J TEC hat or tee shirt in there , don't ya think ?
brian kelley is offline Find More Posts by brian kelley
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM
Find More Posts by bmnewland
United States, IL, Decatur
Joined Feb 2013
67 Posts
Paint Scheme

Love this build thread. I am flying in IMAC Basic with an ARF kit. After seeing this thread I am thinking about building the Jtec 2.7m Extra. I was wondering if it is wrong to somewhat use a paint (covering scheme) from a another well known pilot's (Kurt Koelling) plane. I'm crazy about his simple red and white version on his Carden Aircraft. I would change it a little. Also I could replace the red part with blue. Just wondering about the protocol of copying someone's covering design. Hope this is not a lame question. thanks.
bmnewland is offline Find More Posts by bmnewland
Last edited by bmnewland; 04-15-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 AM
JAS
Find More Posts by JAS
JAS
Miss you mom/pop-pop
Around the USA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
I'm sure Kurt would be flattered that you like his scheme enough to put it on your plane. Things get a bit 'weird' when manufacturers use someone's well know color scheme. Go for it.
JAS is offline Find More Posts by JAS
Old 04-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnewland View Post
Love this build thread. I am flying in IMAC Basic with an ARF kit. After seeing this thread I am thinking about building the Jtec 2.7m Extra. I was wondering if it is wrong to somewhat use a paint (covering scheme) from a another well known pilot's (Kurt Koelling) plane. I'm crazy about his simple red and white version on his Carden Aircraft. I would change it a little. Also I could replace the red part with blue. Just wondering about the protocol of copying someone's covering design. Hope this is not a lame question. thanks.
Kurt is a great guy and I don't think he would mind at all. His scheme is very simple and is actually very similar just in reverse to some of the real Extras.

The extra I will be flying will basically have Andrew Jesky's scheme on it.

Kevin
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Find More Posts by bmnewland
United States, IL, Decatur
Joined Feb 2013
67 Posts
Thanks JAS and Kevin for the prompt response. That's good news about the covering scheme. One more question, well probably a lot more in the future if I decide to build this kit. How many feet of ultracote (base color, white) (Kurt Koelling design) would be needed for the Jtec 2.7m Extra.
bmnewland is offline Find More Posts by bmnewland
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
that is always a hard one to calculate but I would guess 6-8 rolls depending on the scheme you ultimately choose.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
F3S Jet Precision Aerobatics
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnewland View Post
Why not ask Kurt?
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 04-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,174 Posts
Hello again guys. Been a little while.

If Jerry doesn't mind, I think I will use a similar scheme that he has used. Will probably use a more straight white line down the side of the fuselage. But, I like the colors. What is that top accent color? I like contrast for visibility in the air. And, I like dark reds. Is it a metallic red Monocote?

Have been busy with other things and family life functions, but am posting a photo of my new work bench on wheels. It is not quite finished. Still need to put walnut trim around the edges. However, I have been using it, even though it does not have any finish on it. We had our Polar Bear contest this last weekend, and had to do some maintenance on my Carden 330, and the Radiocraft 330 in the background, before I went. Need to be careful I don't get any oil on the bench before I finish it, particularly with the new acquisition of a metal lathe in the shop. It will be used to make a few things I have ideas on for the Jtec 3.1m and others.

I show the workbench with the Jtec 3.1m 300 CS motor box and part of the fuse just snapped together and held with of few clamps. I have been wanting to get this build started so bad. Have some Hysol 9462 now for the motor box. Will use 30 minute epoxy on the motor mount. The rest of the fuse will be held together with Titebond III, and CA where I think it is appropriate.

Oh, also have about 1400 lbs of blocks stacked outside the shop, ready for laminating the wings. Did a little more load testing with confined samples, but still need to put data into the graph of the data I posted earlier. Will post that later when I can. For now I will show a 24hr load test result of a 10 psi confined sample. Pretty dramatic. Note that for the heavier loads, in particular the 10 psi sample, I did before, unconfined, I held them under load for no more than about 5 hrs.

Brian - Hope to see and meet you at the Salinas contest, May 3. My son and his family have just move to the San Francisco area, so we are going down to see them and the grandson, and take in a couple of contests while doing it. Will be at the Medford, OR, contest weekend after next, then keep traveling south to S.F.. Do you think you will have your Jtec 3.1 Extra 300 CS ready for the Salinas contest? Would really like to see it.

Photos:
wingwall is offline Find More Posts by wingwall

Quick Reply