logo
Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 AM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts
Wanting to start pattern/imac in sportsman class,

Hi,

I'm based in Levin and fly at the LMAC, and have been flying RC planes for about 18 months or so. To improve my flying, and because i like the idea of precision aerobatics ( the only person you are competing against is yourself), I'd like to start flying in the sportsman IMAC/Pattern class.

I am flying an extra 330L, powered by a 90 fourstr!oke. It flies well enough, just limited by my thumbs

Is there anyone in the lower north island who is willing to give me tips, coaching and or demonstrations ?

Cheers.

David Walker
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Re: Wanting to start pattern/imac in sportsman class,

I strongly suggest that if you plan to fly IMAC that you start with Basic. There are important fundamentals that you need to acquire so that as you move up in the classes you have a sound foundation on which to build your skills. In addition, Basic does not fly an Unknown sequence which is good and keeps the new IMAC pilot from becoming overloaded and overwhelmed.

If you are talking about pattern, which it does not sound like you are, then Sportsman is the place to start. Sportsman pattern is the starting class as Basic is for IMAC.

Either way, unless you learn the fundamentals you are in for a frustrating experience.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by fmnspooch
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2007
473 Posts

fmnspooch is offline Find More Posts by fmnspooch
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts

Go to www.mini-iac.com and look under the training tab for the training program. It is an on-line IMAC Flying and Judging IMAC program to help guys just getting into IMAC and find out what IMAC is all about.

Good luck.

Bobby aka TDD
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by castlebravo
It's the Summer Of George
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Mar 2007
2,335 Posts

I second, third and fourth starting in Basic! I've seen several folks start in Sportsman because they thought Basic was "too easy" only to find they couldnt fly a straight line to save their life.......couldnt center a half roll........or even perform a round loop. It took me MANY basic contests to become profiecient in these manouvers (and some say I havent gotten there yet!).
Start in Basic and if you start winning everything in site.....move up. If you're mid pack or bottom........you know you need to practice, practice, practice!

"This IMAC thing is the first thing I have done in my life where my goal was mediocrity."......Bad Dog

CB
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

All depends on your current skill level. I started in sportsman, flew two contests, and moved to Intermediate back in the day (just sayin). If you have any pattern or precision pilots in your club, pair up with them to learn the fundamentals. Once you have the basic geometry and understanding of ARESTI down, it will truly be left up to your skill level and what you feel comfortable flying.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 08-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

Thanks guys,

Showing my ignorance, i didn't realise that there was a basic class, i thought that sportsman was the entry level class. I will start in the basic class, and move up as my skills progress. I'm real keen to have a nice and tidy slow roll in my repertoire. Nothing looks better to me than a well executed low slow roll the length of the runway! My slow roll still goes up and down. Practice is what i need, luckily the local club is local, 4min away. Bring on summer!!

Cheers,

David
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old 08-25-2010, 05:06 PM
GEJ
Find More Posts by GEJ
GEJ
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Jan 2010
245 Posts

Definitely agree, start in either entry level class. There are a decent amount of IMAC comps within driving distance of Levin along with some very proficient flyers in Wellington and the Manawatu that would only be too happy to help you out, they've all helped me alot!
GEJ is offline Find More Posts by GEJ
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
Thanks guys,

Showing my ignorance, i didn't realise that there was a basic class, i thought that sportsman was the entry level class. I will start in the basic class, and move up as my skills progress. I'm real keen to have a nice and tidy slow roll in my repertoire. Nothing looks better to me than a well executed low slow roll the length of the runway!

Bad news. In IMAC there is no such thing as a slow roll. There are no scoring criteria associated with the absolute roll rate. Pattern has a slow roll (3 second minimum) in Advanced and above. So while I admire the goal, it is something that will not be required in IMAC.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Honestly... it looks to me like the pattern FAI is way more difficult and progressive than the IMAC unlimited.... IMAC is still stuck in the "Do it like a real plane" rut

let the firewirks begin!!!

lol
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
IMAC is still stuck in the "Do it like a real plane" rut
I know what you mean, it's really hard to figure out why they do that. Oh wait, maybe this will explain it:

AMA Rulebook - RC Scale Aerobatics - Rule #1

Quote:
1. Objective: To duplicate full-scale aerobatics with miniature radio controlled aircraft in a realistic manner that is challenging for the contestants as well as interesting for the spectators.
Wow, it's almost like that is the whole point of scale aerobatics.

Pattern chose a different road. Static sequences (only change every few years), no unknowns (FAI at NATS and WC do fly an Unknown), longer sequences (18 to 23 figures), only flown once per flight. Smaller planes, weight/span/length limits, do not use the FAI catalog (Aresti) to draw sequences. They have a sort of catalog of figures that they draw from, but do not have a formalized methodology of sequence construction like scale aerobatics/IMAC.

Something for everybody!!
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Honestly... it looks to me like the pattern FAI is way more difficult and progressive than the IMAC unlimited....
Take a look at Masters
Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

yeah.. the masters looks pretty tuff too... looks like it would need about 30% more battery capacity to do compared to the intermediate!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I know what you mean, it's really hard to figure out why they do that. Oh wait, maybe this will explain it:

AMA Rulebook - RC Scale Aerobatics - Rule #1
"
1. Objective: To duplicate full-scale aerobatics with miniature radio controlled aircraft in a realistic manner that is challenging for the contestants as well as interesting for the spectators."

Wow, it's almost like that is the whole point of scale aerobatics.

Yeah.. back around...ummm... 1200 BC model chariot racing had a mission statement like that too... but look... we race RC cars now!!!

he he he he
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Since you bring this up so often why not start flying IMAC, get involved and work to change it? Standing on the outside looking in nobody will listen to you. Or get F3M going here. It is pattern with scale planes, which seems to be what you are looking for.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Redleader
Wellington NZ
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts

I Fly at the WMAC and I know there are a couple of IMAC guys at Kapiti, I have run a couple of IMAC flying comps at Trenthum and they were pritty good. I also Fly an Extra330 but I took the 90 out and throw a 26cc gasser in to make all the practicing cheaper.
The guys in the Wairarapa ( Radio Flyer's do more comps too )
I'm happy to give you some tips I have learnt along the way but I have been flying models for 23 years and I'm only really getting in to precision Aero's myself. I'm a club instructer and Sunday flyr
Redleader is offline Find More Posts by Redleader

Quick Reply