logo
Old 02-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,490 Posts
Re: DA100-Left Cylinder Cold Right Cylinder Hot

Seth, have your dad take off the carb block. It is the white thingy there! (I said thingy!!! HUH HUH HUH!!!!) Then there should be something that looks like a "V" in there, if not it will be attached to the carb phenolic (white thingy). It will be metallic. Pull each reed out, and hold it to the light and examine very closly to see if there are any holes in the reeds. If you have holes, distinctly, then you need reeds. If you can see the light, but no holes, then the reeds are fine.

Chances are that that is not the problem, and it could be in the IGN. area. Check it out with a 4.8V pack, and let us know what you found. If you need help with anything, PM or EMail me, and I'll tear down my 100 to give you some pics of what I am babbling about!!

Later!

Chris~
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by green@3D
Joined Jan 2006
375 Posts

one other possibility is crappy compression. suck squeese bang blow, if one is missing.....

wonder if ya got a split ring or damaged piston?

just a thought
green@3D is offline Find More Posts by green@3D
Old 02-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,490 Posts

But it runs good at over 3/4 throttle, which is baffling me!!!! I could see a split/cracked ring causing probs!!

Seth, have you actually checked cyl temps?? With an thermo gun, not your hands!!!

Chris~
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 02-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by cal_mag
California
Joined Jan 2006
199 Posts

I had a similar problem when my battery was close to going dead, it would only run on 1 cylinder and then nothing at all. If that is not it, and you've tried everything above send it to DA since it's new it should be under warranty and they just serviced mine really quick,
Their service is the best!
cal_mag is offline Find More Posts by cal_mag
Old 02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

WHen I first read your post I assuemd a dead ignition module. Had it happen myself actually and needed a new one.

WHen you swap the leads from each cylinder are you also swapping the plugs over as well??? If you are swapping leads and plugs and the problem persists on the same side regardless, then through a process of elimination it can not be ignition related, as the problem would swap sided and the right cylinder would be the cold one.
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 02-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

Well, the left side is rich, which is too much fuel or not enough air. I am only speculating, but is sounds like the compression ratios are not the same, i.e. squish clearance? I would say it deserves a call to DA...
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Last edited by bodywerks; 02-12-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
check to see if your hall sensor has moved. Obiviously one cyl aint got fire. Got fuel, just aint got a spark....
There is only one pick-up on the hub - both plugs fire at the same time, based on when that magnet passes the sensor. None of that stuff should cause his problems, otherwise both cylinders would be firing all crappy.
You know what else, it is normal to have slight temperature variences between cylinders, but it is usually the right cylinder that is colder than the left (if I remember correctly). If the engine ever ran fine before, or was perceived to be running fine, the left cylinder may have gotten too lean and smoked the compression ratio, which would cause it to lose all its bottom end...but I think your post said it was a new engine
One thing you could do is remove one plug and feel the compression of the other cylinder, or better yet test it with a compression tester, and then put that plug back in and remove the other one and feel it to see if you notice a difference....they should be the same. If they aren't you have found your problem and need to find out why it happened.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 02-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by rcdart
Would be, if I could be
QLD Australia
Joined Jan 2006
4,180 Posts

Swap the plug and lead from the left to the right, if your problem swaps side call DA and tell them, if it does not swap sides, call DA and tell them, at least then by process of elimination you can give them informed info. Whilst everybody here on this site offers great advise, none of us here are going to match the service and help to fix your problem than DA themselves.

Just my 0.02c

Mick
rcdart is offline Find More Posts by rcdart
Old 02-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,462 Posts

Honestly, it sounds like a stuck ring. Just send it to DA, and let them take care of it. The thing will be back good as new.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Your my boy Blue!!!1
Lexington Kentucky U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
4,698 Posts

switch to 87 octane fuel
Flatlandman is offline Find More Posts by Flatlandman
Old 02-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by rc4flying
Hermitage, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
2,874 Posts

I had an issue that sounds just like this one. Mine turned out to be the ign. battery. I swore up and down the battery was good to DA when I would call them for help trouble shooting the problem. When I was ready to give up and then talking to Brian the engine guy at DA, he wanted me to send everything relating to the engine and ign. He wanted my battery i was using , extentsions and switchs or regs I was using when this problem showed it ugly head. Well, up to that point the battery was the only component I had not swapped out because I swore it was good. It was a new battery, freshly charged and showing excellet top end starting off voltage and even a good voltage when I put a 1 amp load. I swapped the battery with an older battery and the enginge ran great after that.
Apparently, the new battery, which was a Lithiun-Ion 2 cell 2200 ma, did not or could not delivery the kind of voltage the ign was needing and as a result one cylinder would drop out at a higher rpm. This was all on test runs with a new engine.
I am not saying the Lithum-Ion battery is a problem, because I still use these types of batteries, it was just that one battery that turned out to be bad under the ign load conditions.
Just from my experiences. Hope it helps.
rc4flying is offline Find More Posts by rc4flying
Old 02-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Send it in to DA. They will take care of it, and it will be well worth you not having to mess with it. On a side note, DONT run Lawn Boy at 50:1 for break in. Run it at 32:1.... 50:1 is too light a mix with that oil. Better to be safe than sorry. You could also break it in on 32:1 Pennsoil 2 stroke aircooled, its not as abrasive as lawn boy, so it may take a gallon or so more to break it in, but it is by far, a higher quality oil than the lawn boy.
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 02-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Glow fuel sucks!
United States, PA, Bechtelsville
Joined Jan 2006
615 Posts

same thing happened to a guy at an imac up here in the NE,

would only run on one cylinder until 3/4, then both ran, but the one ran poorly.

he threw in a new ignition, hooked it up..... problem solved.... ran great.
Mudsurfer1234 is offline Find More Posts by Mudsurfer1234
Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
STONY POINT N.Y USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,205 Posts

i had a similar problem with a da 150 make sure battery is putting out what it should and if im not mistaken da says to run their engines on 87 or89 octane not hi test (94)
SUPERFLYJAY is offline Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
Last edited by SUPERFLYJAY; 02-12-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by badbradgraphics
Bad Brad
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Joined Jan 2006
11 Posts

Switch the spark plug leads. If the problem cylinder moves, then you know its the ignition or or switch to ignition or ignition battery. Then bypass the switch to eliminate that as the problem. Then try a new battery. You will finally get down to the ignition. It's much cheaper to send that back than sending the whole engine back.

I have had both DA and 3W ignitions go bad on one side. Yes, they can be bad or run on one cylinder below 1/2 throttle and start running both cylinders at full throttle. That because it is probally sending a weak spark to the plug, in fact you can probally see a spark but it is not enough to cause ignition within the cylinder at lower RPM's. But at higher RPM's because there is more compression, the weak spark will cause ignition in the cylinder and the engine will run on both cylinders. eventually it will quit on one side altogether.

This is why from what you have said I'll bet it is the ignition/defective plug cap.
badbradgraphics is offline Find More Posts by badbradgraphics

Quick Reply