Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by GMoney
Lake Tawakoni
Joined Feb 2006
1,663 Posts
Re: Who saw this coming?

Two great companies.. Sounds good to me.. I can have a 50cc Carden to match the 150cc Carden..

G
GMoney is offline Find More Posts by GMoney
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by Temptation
Lawn Dart Pilot
Lenox Twp. MI, United States
Joined Jan 2006
1,092 Posts

There's the 50cc plane I have been looking for. I will be getting one of those.
Temptation is offline Find More Posts by Temptation
Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Find More Posts by tcruiser16
Watch this!
Vancouver Island
Joined Jan 2007
372 Posts

89",17lbs! EF is gonna have some competition.
tcruiser16 is offline Find More Posts by tcruiser16
Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by krayzc
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Joined Mar 2007
2,871 Posts

that is kewl go 2008.....
krayzc is offline Find More Posts by krayzc
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by baxternick
ON THE DECK
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jan 2006
509 Posts

It looks like one hell of a 50cc plane. I can't build worth a damn, but I think that is what seperates man from beast. I myself like arf's (lazy and just want to fly), but I admire the man that can build a quality kit plane. I also think that was part of the pride in owning a carden aircraft. I am not trying to take away from Hangar 9's reputation (great product and great service), but I think this is a sad day for modelers. With that said..... How much and how long, because I want one!
baxternick is offline Find More Posts by baxternick
Old 02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by DR10044
George
United States, KY, Elizabethtown
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts

Sounds like a "win win" for the customer!
DR10044 is offline Find More Posts by DR10044
Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts

I think Horizon removed the link or is having problems with the page, can you guys give me the cliff notes?
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts

Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft Join Forces

Posted: 2/26/2008
Provider Name:
Written By: Dennis Gergits
Copyright:© 2008 Horizon Hobby, Inc.

Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft have come together to offer a scale aerobatic aircraft for everyone.

Over the last 18 years, there has been a lot of history between Horizon and Carden Aircraft...and it's all been good. This relationship has resulted in a partnership association between Hangar 9 and Carden Aircraft Designs. Both Mike McConville and I love to design, engineer and fly R/C models. For more than 12 years, Mike's friendship and feedback on our products (as a world-class aerobatic champion) has helped guide the Carden Aircraft line of kits. Although Mike and I think a lot alike when it comes to models, other common traits such as honesty, integrity and mutual respect for each other's abilities and shortcomings should be included in the mix. The critical support of the entire Hangar 9 team was a most pleasant surprise. These easy-to-work-with professionals really make this partnership a pleasure. Now everyone can enjoy innovative Carden designs, unique Carden construction and superb flight performance---all wrapped up into a professional quality ARF. In my opinion, manufacturing at the best factory with hobby shop or mail order availability and great customer service is a winning combination.

Top designers and competitors like Mike, and professional builders like Brian Hueffmeier, have long recognized that the Carden approach to aerobatic designs and construction results in models that compete well at the highest levels. For example, over the last 7 Tournament of Champions competitions in Las Vegas, more Carden Aircraft models have competed (16 total) than models by any other company. Most recently, Carden designs have experienced a first place in the Unlimited Class at the 2007 IMAC Nats, 2007 Canadian Nats and a top five finish in the Invitational class at the 2007 Tucson Aerobatic Shootout.
One of our goals was to be able to provide the same level of overall quality to all modelers in a smaller size ARF product. The first task was to develop a CAD set of plans, paying close attention to a spot-on reduction in size without compromising durability and a low flying weight. The result is a competition-ready 50cc ARF that is the same size as the Carden 30% models but at a finished dry weight of only 17 pounds. Just wait until you experience the flight performance!
There were a lot of smiles during the flight testing of the 89" Yak. The first flight tests were done at the Carden Aircraft test site. There were a number of firsts, including the arrival of "TrixieMae" the stray Pit Bull. After a few successful test flights, Mike and I were sitting on the flight line enjoying some wonderful weather when the Trixter showed up. She immediately bonded with us and it was clear she was a Carden kind of dog. One big lesson that day was that Pit Bulls can jump really high...we almost lost the prototype on final approach when Trixie nearly plucked it out of the air! Trixie's extreme speed and high jumping abilities are now directed toward frizbees!

Another first we'll never forget was a very low fly over from something other than the normal C-130 traffic that treats our factory to frequent free "air shows". It was a V-22 Osprey, low and slow. This was the second day for our guest Trixie who showed great interest but no prey drive toward the Osprey. Obviously, she realized jumping to tree level height was not possible. What an amazing sound this military machine made.
We built the second prototype with a few minor upgrades. We made several very successful test flights in Champaign, Illinois to put the final touches on the project. The rest is history. We hope you are as pleased with our collaborative effort on this Yak. I hope that the future will bring even more surprises!

Return to Top
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 02-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by mflander
How much did that thing cost?
Elk River, MN
Joined Oct 2007
954 Posts

Love the color scheme! Same as E-Flite's Extra 260. This endeavor should prove profitable for Carden . Not to mention one more step ahead for Horizon. This is going to really piss my wallet and my wife off though...
mflander is offline Find More Posts by mflander
Old 02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Bargman
If only you knew...
Geneva, IL
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts

Interesting...
Mike Bargman is offline Find More Posts by Mike Bargman
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

Good to see Carden getting some more exposure, and the flying public being exposed to super flying planes. This will be a very difficult partnership to top.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Caymanian Pirate Code Monkey
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2006
2,122 Posts

That link is broken for me. The Pics look good though!
gareth.ky is offline Find More Posts by gareth.ky
Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

That's a sharp looking Yak!
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Jan 2006
730 Posts

lol..... Just when i thought i was to have something "different" This year.......
Go Figure! O Well, This is Cool Tho! Just wish they would have went with another scheme, tho............. I guess i was not the only one who like David Payne's Scheme.....

Ohhh, it is a Aviation Models 40% Yak...... (Re-covered of course)
3-d flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3-d flyer

Quick Reply