logo
Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by tjhawker
3DHS
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2009
50 Posts
SMC LiPo Batteries

I purchased a few of SMC's 3S 2200mAh LiPos a few weeks ago to fly in my 47" 3DHS planes and 48" DW Foamies, and man these packs are awesome. I've flown with just about every brand of LiPo out there and there just isn't anything that compares to these cells. For being only a 25C pack, I am amazed how these SMC LiPo's have equal if not more punch than the new Thunder Power Pro-Power 30C packs.

The one thing these packs have that no other LiPo has is power consistency through a flight. Over the course of a 7 minute flight the SMC packs definitely out perform the TP 30C packs for at least the last 2 minutes. I used to know about when my flight timer was going to go off with the TP cells because the power would start to fade, but with the SMC cells, it's full power 3D for the whole flight.

Just earlier this weekend I was flying my 3DHS Velox in my friends back yard, and he was amazed at how much more vertical power I had with the 3S SMC cells compared to the other 25C cells I had been flying with. Everyone I have lent these batteries out to has also loved them compared to the other packs they own. I think I've convinced most of the people at my flying field that it's truly worth the extra money to purchase quality cells over the cheaper hobbycity packs, and for true performance per cost, SMC is definitely where it's at.

I would definitely recommend to everyone to give the SMC Batteries a try. They may be somewhat new to most of you in the flight industry, but having also raced r/c cars with their cells, I can truly say that their experience, quality, and performance has definitely come over from the racing side of the r/c world.

They have information about their Lightning Volts packs on there website here: http://www.smc-racing.com/lightning_volts_flight.html

You can find the company owner's post on RCGroups here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=42

They are planning on expanding their line of batteries by releasing 40C+ flight packs! For those of you who have been flying the cheap HobbyCity batteries, call up Danny at SMC and get one of his 25C packs and try it. You'll never go back.

--Tyler
tjhawker is offline Find More Posts by tjhawker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by mahak213
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2008
188 Posts
Re: SMC LiPo Batteries

Although I have never used their cells in planes, i have however used a few of their lipos in cars. Supposedly, SMC doesn't exaggerate their c=rating unlike many other manufacturers. So a true 25c might actually be a higher c rated cell than what thunderpower calls a 30c.
mahak213 is offline Find More Posts by mahak213
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply