Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Find More Posts by cmoulder
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, New York
Joined Dec 2006
29 Posts
Re: Black Dirt NE Regional IMAC Finals

NOTE TO TED HAUSER!!!

LOOK AT THE SECOND PHOTO. The photo was made a split second before impact and clearly the wing is already detached!

So it was NOT a radio or electronics failure.

I went back and looked at the first airborne photos, and this is confirmed.
cmoulder is offline Find More Posts by cmoulder
Last edited by cmoulder; 10-02-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Excellent shots, guess we just found out what happened to Ted's plane. The Bald Eagle was really cool as well
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by bobrev06x
United States, NH, Canaan
Joined Oct 2006
1,939 Posts

nice pics bud. thanks for putting them up!
bobrev06x is offline Find More Posts by bobrev06x
Old 10-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by as722
Team JR
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,578 Posts

Wow, what a great find with that picture ! I wonder how many of those have been blamed on 2.4 . lol
BTW great pics.

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 10-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, New York
Joined Dec 2006
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by as722 View Post
Wow, what a great find with that picture ! I wonder how many of those have been blamed on 2.4 . lol
BTW great pics.

Albert

Indeed. Not often do we get irrefutable evidence about what did or did not cause a crash.

Bob
Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by as722
Team JR
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
Indeed. Not often do we get irrefutable evidence about what did or did not cause a crash.

Bob
Very true, we often forget that there's a lot more to our models than those little receivers. Again nice pics.

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:

Bob
I have a good idea as to what happened. He got there a bit late, put his plane together in a hurry, got distracted by the pilots meeting, got a really quick test flight in and as they say the rest is history.

It was scary for a few minutes as he had it then didn't. I was judging Unlimited at the time and I considered bailing more than once. That is what happened to Denis. He got concerned over what was happening to Ted and lost sight of his plane.

We did shut the flight lines down until we determined we did not have a 2.4 issue since two went in within a few seconds of each other
Last edited by bubbagates; 10-03-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Pullin' G's Man
Ossining, New York
Joined Dec 2006
29 Posts

Bill, I was taking some photos when the plane was being assembled and it seemed the process was pretty methodical and thorough.

I don't know how the wing bolts attach, but again the pictures provide a clue with the wing bolt (or is it simply and alignment pin?) which can be seen at the wing root. Is it a broken wing bolt, or did a nut work its way off? I'm sure Ted will be able to answer this.

Bob
Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Bill, I was taking some photos when the plane was being assembled and it seemed the process was pretty methodical and thorough.

I don't know how the wing bolts attach, but again the pictures provide a clue with the wing bolt (or is it simply and alignment pin?) which can be seen at the wing root. Is it a broken wing bolt, or did a nut work its way off? I'm sure Ted will be able to answer this.

Bob
Bob,

Yea, I agree, Ted is very thorough but he was a little rushed. I'll wait to see what Ted thinks. I never got the time to take a look at the damage. I talked to Ted shortly lately after they gave me my clock but I never mentioned anything about the crash to him. I figured if he want to talk about it he would have.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Well, I can only post on what I know up to this point as I just got off the phone with Tony helping him clean up some boo-boos when I entered the unknowns into the program or him last night and it sounds like they are having lots of fun

As usual, Tony is putting on a great contest and it is certainly worthy of being called the Regional Finals. As far as I remember, there are 26 pilots doing their thing. On Saturday, they got 3 rounds in as well as the Freestyle. Then we all went to Outback for dinner. Afterwards, everyone but me headed to the hotels for some serious relaxing. I had to come back home for personal reasons so I headed back.

It was great to see everyone chipping in to help others, I got to meet a few of the Canadian pilots that I had talked to via email but it was great to put a face to the names. I sent all day judging Unlimited and there was some excellent flying going on.

Sportsman was in smackdown mode after the first round, there was 0.7 points spread between Frank and Chuck and after round two it had moved to 1.6 point spread. It has become fun watching these two tear at each other during the last half of the season.

It looks like Neil and Brian were close (don't remember the scores at this point but I seem to remember within 10 or so points after the first round). Sorry to the rest of the classes, I did not really look over the scores.

I will look over the scores as soon as Tony gets them to me and immediately send them for posting. Once that is done, I will look over the regional points race and announce the winners. Once I have that done, I will be getting in touch with the winners to confirm your home addresses so that I can have the customs awards sent to each of you.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
middlesrx, nj
Joined Dec 2006
128 Posts

Evening Tony:

Thanks for another great event. And thanks to the club for allowing us to have our regional chanpionship there.

It was a special weekend for a lot of us, and time to reflect on a great season here is our northeast region.

special thanks to Bill James for 2 years of raising the bar and making the North East region as successful as it has benn for the last 2 years.

Its going to be a long winter, so I wish the best to all and hope to see you at the first contest next year.

bob
phantoml phixer is offline Find More Posts by phantoml phixer
Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
Mahwah, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

Bob M absolut5ely unbelievable shots and thanks to Ted for letting Bob share - a big sorry to both pilots that lost planes. As Bill J mentioned at first thought, it was believed to be two 2.4 failures so we shut the flight lines down to determine what happened. When we got into the details, we were comfortable that it was not a 2.4 issue which would have surprised me since the majority of the Black DIrt pilots are on 2.4 and we never experienced anything like that. As Albert mentioned we really never know how many of the 2.4 blamed crashes are really 2.4 issues.

Back to the contest and I want to put what I said at the results meeting here so all can see - a big thanks to the black dirt members for approving the contest. The weather turned out to be spectacular on Saturday and beautiful on Sunday albeit cool and breezy (but very manageable). Also thanks to the members and friends and/or family that helped me with the meet. I could have never pulled it off without them. Lastly thanks to all that came - you made the work and preparation worthwhile. Glad the Canadian crew joined us - that was great and now you are locked for life. Results will follow and I will email to BIll tonight or tomorrow.

Tony
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons
Old 10-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Tonybons
Tony the Knife
Mahwah, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
260 Posts

Results
Tonybons is offline Find More Posts by Tonybons