Old 01-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Smoking a Blunt with Yoda
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts
BME 55....its coming.... or not

Posted by BME on another site.

BME 55 is 34-36 ounces depending on the carb used. Backplate mount and side reed valve induction. 24x8 bolly prop at 7200 rpm on stock muffler. 6500 rpm on menz 24x8 and stock muffler. Tuned mufflers add 600+ rpm. Cost is 579.00 with Falkon ignition. Available in late April.

If the above holds up, I can see all the DA 50, ZDZ 50, etc, sales dropping a ton. The 110 was a winner, hopefully this one the same.
Flyinrazrback is offline Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Last edited by Flyinrazrback; 06-07-2006 at 07:55 PM.
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Salem, Indiana ........USA!
Joined Jan 2006
867 Posts
Re: BME 55....its coming

NO Way! If it really does come out you can bet that I will have one!
Bryant330L is online now Find More Posts by Bryant330L
Old 01-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

Way, supposed to be available in April. I bet this thing is begging for a full length tuned pipe!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

It seems like a perfect replacement for OS 1.60fx or Moki on 80" 1150sqin wings. Let see, My patty extra at 14lb would get livelier.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old 01-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

Replacement is an understatement, with rpm figures like that (if it lives up to it), it will replace the DA, ZDZ, etc 50cc engines. I hope so, this motor was due out some time ago, I hope it lives up to the hype.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Find More Posts by HighRoller
Catch Me If You Can
U.S.A.
Joined Jan 2006
190 Posts

Sounds Like a Hoss! Can't wait to see video!
HighRoller is offline Find More Posts by HighRoller
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by Big J
Joined Jan 2006
250 Posts

Sounds like some serious grunt for a featherweight like that. I'm ready. Now, where's that DA 75?
Big J is offline Find More Posts by Big J
Old 01-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

This new 55 is begging for a full length pipe! DA 75, dont hold your breath, however there are engines in this size available now
Old 01-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Do they have DA support?
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 01-17-2006, 03:55 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

Not from what I have heard, but I bought the BME 110 anyway. My understanding is that if there is truly a manufacturer's defect, replacements are no problem. But if the engine ever overheats, forget about it!! Funny thing is, besides the occasional cracked case (rare), overheating is the leading cause of failure of his engines, so if you don't follow their instructions and recommendations TO A TEE, don't expect any love from BME. Run 87 octane, the right oil and ratio, the exact brand/size break-in prop recommended, proper cowl ducting as recommended/required, and run it RICH, then you should have no problems.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 01-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

I'm glad to see Keith is getting the 55 into production. . it's been too long coming.

I was going to wade in concerning the comments about "issues". . but why bother? People keep forgetting that about 95% of "problems" are user-induced. Should any manufacturer be held liable for your mistakes? I certainly would not think so.

Here's what I use in my BME's. . I've NEVER overheated a 110, even when pulling around 40% planes flight after flight.

Oil: Amsoil 100:1 Sabre, mixed at 80-100:1 ratio. 80:1 or very hot days or hard 3D and hovering. . run 50:1 regular 2-stroke oil for the first 10 gallons, then switch to the Amsoil..

Gas: 93 octane only. I found out a long time ago that detonation is the primary problem that destroys our engines. Running 87 octane is just begging for a problem with higher compression engines like the BME110, especially if they have canisters or pipes on the exhaust. I've seen enough melted engines from ALL manufacturers, that had the characteristic "sandblasted piston" look from detonation due to poor quality gas, to make sure I never let that happen to my engines.

I look for 6500-6900 rpm Static with any prop I run. Being on Canisters, that means a Mejzlik 28-10, Biela 28-8 or 10, or 26-12 3-blades.

Cowl ducting. . .keep the engine cool with PROPER inlet ducting and a good large, low-pressure cowl air outlet, and you will never overheat a BME, or any other engine for that matter.

I wrote a check to BME this morning. It's going out in todays mail. I can't wait to get a 55 and bolt it onto a 13.5 lbs Frenzy. The results will be. .spectacular!!!
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old 01-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by SleepyC
USA, OH, Aurora
Joined Jan 2006
30,070 Posts

I agree with KrisW. These motor companies should not be responsible for people being just plain STUPID.
If you buy a new car that uses "Unleaded Gasoline" and you run "Diesel" in it... guess what... warrantee voided.
Why is it any different wih our motors. If they say to use a 40:1ratio for 10 gallons, and after 3 flights you switch to 100:1 and your motor blows.... too freaking bad Slappy.
Your stupid - go back to .40 glow planes....
DA service is sweet, and so is most other motor companies that have a good name.
(Just saw a ZDZ fully replaced after 2 years on another post)
I just think DA tolerates stupidity a little more from people. I think they are a bit more accomidating with repair requests.

I will definatly check out the BME 55, sounds awsome. If that weight is correct, that opens up some serious power for some of the lighter planes!

Last thing... everyone has "thier" motor company... and its the best to them for many reasons...

Personally... I am unbiased... (untill one motor company proves me wrong) i own a DA-50, a ZDZ 50, a MVVS 58 and a 3W 75 us.. and I think they all rock.... the only motor that has ever sucked that i owned were the 2 "converted" weedwacker motors I had in some crappy planes I was beating on!
SleepyC is offline Find More Posts by SleepyC
Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by wingburner
Canada, AB, Beaverlodge
Joined Jan 2006
603 Posts

Kris...here is a reply from Keith on Octane.

You can run high octane gas in any engine but you wont gain anything from it but heat. That is true for 3w,zdz,brison, zenoah,da,bme. They tell you to run high octane because it makes the engine seam like its some high performance machine that requires high octane fuel. Its great for advertising their product but its not great for the engine.

Keith
wingburner is offline Find More Posts by wingburner
Old 01-17-2006, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

You run high octane to prevent detonation, not to gain power. When running canisters, or tuned pipes, you increase the scavenging efficiency of the ports in the engine, rendering a higher effective compression ratio. This results in an engine that will ping or detonate more easily when under load. The use of Higher octane gas is then required to reduce or eliminate the engines tendency to detonate, when using tuned pipes. YOu also need to run higher octane gas when it is hot out, because the engine is running hotter, and it's easier to achieve incipient borderline detonation at this point. You cannot HEAR it detonating until it's too late, but it is going on, all the same.

It's a simpe matter of physics. More gas and air in the cylinder due to better scavenging, more pressure, resulting in a requirement for higher octane gas.

You run the higher octane to protect the engine. . NOT to gain power. I certainly have never claimed that it increases power, and in fact under the proper circumstances you will see a moderate power DEcrease due to the slower burn rate of the higher octane fuel.

The next time someone fries an engine, pull a jug and look at the top of the piston. Usually it looks like somebody shot it with a bunch of large pieces of sand, and the top of the piston will be very rough and speckled with shiny spots. This is where Detonation was taking place, and literally melted the top of the piston in small spots as the hammering and heat of the detonation tried to break the aluminum piston.

As for Keith never recommending anything besides 87 octane. . when I was in Waco two years ago, showing him the 28 lbs 40% Extra with the BME110/canisters for power, he heard it detonating, and advised me, then, to go up to Premium gas. I did, the rattling and detonation went away, and I'll never go back below 91 octane again. For standard "stacks" the lower octane may be okay . .but why chance it?
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old 01-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

Here is a pic I stole from RCU. Can you say 14lb EF Yak? Has options for multiple prop bolts, same as DA or 3W

Quick Reply