logo
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,339 Posts
Re: BME 55....its coming

I am going to see how the 110 does in my 260 on stock muffs at my altitude first. I need to be below 24 pounds dry to have unlimited performance at my altitude...to give an example, I saw a 25 pound dry compy with a DA 100 on stock muffs fly in the Denver area (5000 feet) during an imac contest. It could do the unlimited sequence, but just barely - the guy really had to unload the snaps on the upline just to make it to the top!
23.5 pounds should be doable with the BME and carbon tubes...23 or less with carbon gear!
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

I'm with you Kris, I will have one when they come out. It's worth a shot.
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder
Old 01-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks
I am going to see how the 110 does in my 260 on stock muffs at my altitude first. I need to be below 24 pounds dry to have unlimited performance at my altitude...to give an example, I saw a 25 pound dry compy with a DA 100 on stock muffs fly in the Denver area (5000 feet) during an imac contest. It could do the unlimited sequence, but just barely - the guy really had to unload the snaps on the upline just to make it to the top!
23.5 pounds should be doable with the BME and carbon tubes...23 or less with carbon gear!
Which 260 are you using?
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old 01-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

I'm sorry . . I just can't help myself. . .

The BME55 is HALF the weight of the 3W55 ! ! !

Think about that for a minute. . . the BME comes in at about 34 ounces. . the 3W at 69 ounces.

That's just silly . .What ARE those Germans thinking??????

Hmmm. . let's think about that for a minute. . For the exact same weight as a 3W55 you could put a BME110. . with mufflers. . on the plane.

I'm still having trouble believing that
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,339 Posts

Kris, It will be the Aeroworks 260. They are probably just a few days from the states as we speak.
BTW the BME 110 weighs 5lbs, 6oz. with the ignition, mufflers, and backplate, propwasher and stud(BME doesn't inlcude any of these in their claimed weight, unless my scale is off, because my engine weighs 4lb,1oz with the cackplate and prop washer and stud). the 3w weights include the ignition in their weight, and I think the backplate and prop bolts.
The 55 will likely be around 48-50 ounces as a complete powerplant - still over 1.5 pounds lighter than the 3W...
Last edited by bodywerks; 01-20-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

my "Mail scale" weight of the BME110, complete engine without ignition, is 3 lbs 13 ounces. that's prop bolt, backingplate/mount, carb,plugs . .everything. Wth the new Falkon igniton it's 4 lbs 2 ounces. Add in 2 "standard"mufflers and it's 4 lbs 10-12 ounces (they are 4-5 ounces each). My CANISTER setup, with LL Pefa canisters (12 ounces each) and header, on the engine is LESS than 6 lbs 4 ounces. We weighed at BME when I visited them. . on a very accurate digital scale.

3W weighs their engines without the ignition or mufflers. .so does DA. The BME, similarly outfitted is 3.8 lbs. period.

You really should look at things before you make a statement like that..." (BME doesn't inlcude any of these in their claimed weight)" .

Quite frankly. . it's starting to tick me off.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by TheTank
I created FG! Bitch!
Connecticut, USA
Joined Jan 2006
10,655 Posts

Take it easy fellas... no need to get ticked off over something like engine weights...
TheTank is offline Find More Posts by TheTank
Old 01-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Yeah, you're right Tank. . . .

3 lbs 13 ounces. . including everything except the mufflers and ignition.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,339 Posts

Maybe my scale is off, then. It's not calibrated by any official certification, but it is new and claims accuracy within an ounce above 2 pounds. I put my BME on the scale, with backplate and washer and threaded shaft and tru-turn prop nut and washer and it weighed 4 pounds, 1 ounce. Without the washer, shaft, and truturn stuff, it was 3 pounds, 14.5 ounces. Then I put that stuff back on and put the mufflers (stock) and the ignition unit on the scale and it was 5 pounds, 2 ounces. Then, since my plane requires the BME to have a 1 5/8" standoff and that standoff has to be a donut shaped, stacked plywood unit (required by BME) instead of aluminum standoffs, i threw that on the scale, too, and came up with the weight I stated above. I will admit that in that previous post I forgot to mention the standoff...sorry.
Still, My weights are not way off, and you pretty much have to include part of the weight of the standoff when comparing the BME to DA and 3W because the BME is shorter than them and will always require that extra inch or so of plywood, and also because the plywood block is heavier than standoffs.
And 69 ounces on that 3W does include ignition, according to their website:
http://www.3w-modellmotoren.com/engl...toren_com.html
Anyway, I have edited my above post slightly, and you really have no need to get ticked off...I wasn't implying that BME was misleading its customers or that the engine was heavy - you and I both know it is a featherweight - I was just giving a real world weight of this complete powerplant, and I also pointed out that it was still significantly lighter than any other engine out there.
Last edited by bodywerks; 01-21-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by red_z06
Dumont, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,517 Posts

Is it april yet? I am ready to order one!!
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Old 01-23-2006, 11:18 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks
Then, since my plane requires the BME to have a 1 5/8" standoff and that standoff has to be a donut shaped, stacked plywood unit (required by BME) instead of aluminum standoffs
The 55 will not require stand-offs, maybe Keith will reconfigure the 110 also.
RTK is online now Find More Posts by RTK
Old 01-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by youngflyer
United States, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2006
1,198 Posts

i do not see how they saved that much weight over a da?!?!
youngflyer is offline Find More Posts by youngflyer
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Lodi CA
Joined Jan 2006
411 Posts

they obviously have very little metal in them??? How can they have a tough enough piston and a balanced crankshaft at that weight??? Are DA and 3W retardted or is that bme gonna vibrate and not last very long ?? why do they run hotter??? Are there less cooling areas is that how they keep the weight down??? I would love to hear from the bme designer.... He must have some pretty radical ideas and theory about engines to have made such a kick ass motor?? a pound and a half difference on a 5 pound motor is like a 35% diff. someone has to be doing something wrong
STR8HUCKIN is offline Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,426 Posts

I have the 110 and it is a feather weight for sure. Before I purchased the engine a couple of years ago I asked a lot of questions. Keith has put a lot of effort in the design and function of every part of these engines.
My engine is not baffled all that well and has never sagged or stumbled for me. I have even run it on the lean side once or twice with no ill affects. It does not seem to run any hotter than the competitors I have flown and owned.
I think BME (Keith) was willing to try some of his new ideas and designs that others were not. It "shakes" less than or equal to all other engines in it's class. But that I feel has more to do with the needles and there settings than most anything else on the popular 100cc class engines.
RTK is online now Find More Posts by RTK
Last edited by RTK; 01-23-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK
The 55 will not require stand-offs, maybe Keith will reconfigure the 110 also.
Yeah, it looks like the 55 might just have screws that thread into the case or something.
As for the 110, it would seem to me that the tortional load would be too high, but the only way it wouldn't require standoffs would be to make the engine longer, which would probably add weight. Besides, its not the need for standoffs that I was pointing out, it was the requirement by BME that standoffs were not an acceptible means of spacing the engine forward, and a full-circumfrence donut-shaped hardwood block of the correct thickness was needed to distribute the load evenly around the backplate...the hardwood is heavier than aluminum stand-offs, which is a slight weight disadvantage, but only an ounce or so.

Quick Reply