logo
Old 02-20-2014, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Ft Lupton CO
Joined Nov 2008
2,690 Posts
I did a cowl and hatch with Klass Kote. The finish was really nice. The color match was good, even with pearl blue, orange and white. Only 2 coats were needed with no need to clear coat, it was so glossy it looked like you could stick you arm in it. I did 3 colors plus the primer and it was less than a hundred bucks including a Harbor Frieght 15 dollar spray gun.
flatspinjim is offline Find More Posts by flatspinjim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 AM
Find More Posts by pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2006
1,495 Posts
Another idea is to contact Radio South (Tony Stillman's company in FL). They have already matched up the monokote and ultracote colors for PPG single stage paint. The last time I ordered I think it was $40 for the paint, and another $20 for the hardener. You'll need a spray gun and also paint thinner for single stage paints. It doesn't require any clear coat, and the colors have always matched perfectly (but be sure to use a light colored primer).

Pete
pcastine is offline Find More Posts by pcastine
Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by oh58skid
South La. transplanted to Cuddebackville, NY
Joined Mar 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcastine View Post
Another idea is to contact Radio South (Tony Stillman's company in FL). They have already matched up the monokote and ultracote colors for PPG single stage paint. The last time I ordered I think it was $40 for the paint, and another $20 for the hardener. You'll need a spray gun and also paint thinner for single stage paints. It doesn't require any clear coat, and the colors have always matched perfectly (but be sure to use a light colored primer).

Pete
Pete,
I bought the paint for my Dalton from Radio South.....it indeed matched perfectly. The price was closer to $200 for the primer, two colors and the hardners.
oh58skid is offline Find More Posts by oh58skid
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Brent G
York SC
Joined Jan 2006
389 Posts
I have had real good luck with taking samples of covering to Napa or other places that mix paint. They can use their machine to match the colors. The last paint I purchased ended up costing about $20 a pint with the reducer mixed in ready to spray. I went with a one step paint and didn't use the hardner. End results were great and didn't have to spend a bunch of extra money on reducers and hardners. Went with an acrylic urithane paint.
Brent G is offline Find More Posts by Brent G
Old 02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by lee-h
Doo It! Doo It!
newcastle england
Joined Apr 2009
234 Posts
Here is a few more pics of the plane(john Deere tractor) from over the pond. Needs cowl and pants painting,canopy cutting and gluing,and electrics sorting. The ignition was just strapped in so the engine could be tested.We use a place called B&Q in the UK take a bit of Oracover the color you want and they mix the paint, match is very good.

lee-h is offline Find More Posts by lee-h
Old 02-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Lee,

get it finished up, Its looking really good!! I really like it!!

Al
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 02-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by brian kelley
IMAC FANATIC
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined May 2013
427 Posts
Gorgeous ! From that top view looks like a giant pattern plane, I'm a fan of the scheme !
brian kelley is offline Find More Posts by brian kelley
Old 02-22-2014, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kelley View Post
Gorgeous ! From that top view looks like a giant pattern plane, I'm a fan of the scheme !
You could do yours in that scheme but maybe in Pink & Lavender...
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Mooresville, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed Wing View Post
You could do yours in that scheme but maybe in Pink & Lavender...
LOL
jtec/radiowave is offline Find More Posts by jtec/radiowave
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by pcastine
Approaching critical AoA...
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined Sep 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh58skid View Post
Pete,
I bought the paint for my Dalton from Radio South.....it indeed matched perfectly. The price was closer to $200 for the primer, two colors and the hardners.
You must be right; I'm probably confusing that with the CARF touch-up paint.

Pete
pcastine is offline Find More Posts by pcastine
Old 02-23-2014, 11:47 PM
Find More Posts by wingwall
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,172 Posts
O.K. It's been awhile since I posted on here. Been busy with other things, company, family, house projects the wife wants, as well as doing a Pressure Load Test. Some of you may recall that I was going to try to do some testing.

I had some material in my stock of wood, that I thought could be used to make a test frame, in particular some finished 1 3/4" x 1 3/4 oak that I used for columns and a loading post. My initial thought was that I could use them with 2" x 2" x 3" foam samples, that would have 1/16" x 2" x 2" balsa glued top and bottom. That way, with the sample centered on the post there would be about an 1/8" hanging out on each of the four sides to take depth/height measurements with my digital caliper. I chose a 3" high sample so there was enough height to get a decent measure on the deflection/strain, without being too tall that stability or buckling would be an issue.

I think it worked pretty well, except that as the load got greater, I believe the sides may have had some bulging. All the samples had the grain of the balsa running front to back (Sides 1 to 3) The balsa in the orthogonal direction is much weaker. I believed the measurements on sides 2 and 4 of some of the samples were suspect. The most suspect were Samples E and G. So, they were done over again, and show in the attached photos as Samples E2 and G2. The plotted results show the average of the measurements on the front and back only (Sides 1 & 3)

With E2, G2, and J (the 640oz, 10psi) samples, a 1/8" x 3" x 3" steel plate was used above and below the sample. Then instead of measuring from the tops of each side of the sample, the measurement was between the bottoms of each side center of the steel plates, and averaged.

The K sample, 48oz, or 0.75psi, was made as an after-thought just to fill a gap in the data. That is probably a common load recommended for using blocks/bricks when laminating a wing with weights.

Perhaps the attached pics will show what was done a little better. So, the following are pics of the test frame, load testing of the 2" x 2" x 3" samples, and the plotted results. I will follow with a post of some testing done of a 2" x 2" x 4" sample, where a curve is cut a 1/2" from each end, to see what pressure it takes to bend the balsa sheet to the tightest radius expected in the build of the 40%Radiowave Extra 300CS.
wingwall is online now Find More Posts by wingwall
Last edited by wingwall; 02-24-2014 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,172 Posts
Now for the testing done of a 2" x 2" x 4" sample, where a curve is cut at 1/2" in from each end, to see what pressure it takes to bend the balsa sheet to the tightest radius expected in the build of the 40%Radiowave Extra 300CS.

The least radius curvature is at the top front of the rudder of the 300cs, and it appears to be about 3". The same sample was used for 3 different directions of the grain of the balsa sheeting top and bottom. No glue was used. I wanted to see what pressure it took to close gaps.

The first sampling was done with the grain running front to back, Sides 1 to 3. That way the weak bending was in the direction of the curvature. It did not take much weight to close the gaps. The steel plate weighs 4.5oz, so the total load to close the gaps was about 8.5oz, or about 0.125psi. However, the previous testing indicated that there could be a small amount of expansion from the glue up to about 0.75psi to 1.0psi.

In the second sample the grain of the balsa sheeting was run side to side, Sides 2 to 4. This put the strong axis bending of the balsa in the direction of curvature. This required a large amount of pressure load to close the gaps. It appeared that 160oz, or 2.5psi, did not quite do it. I was a little concerned that the balsa center and edges would get deformed, so I stopped there.

The third sampling was done with the grain running diagonally at 45 degrees. This required less load, 120oz, or 1.875psi, to get to about the same closure as the grain running side to side.

I did not go any further in the angle of the grain. Perhaps I could try to find a shallow angle to the axis, front to back, that would bring the pressure down to where it is about 0.75psi to 1.0psi. Then it could be assured that the gaps would be closed and there would be little, or no, expansion from the glue. For now I think I will run the grain of the balsa parallel to the leading edge of the rudder. It is probably not an issue with the wings, since the curvature is quite a bit less (larger radius) for the wings.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Joined Aug 2011
2,420 Posts
I like the picture of the white mustang in the background.
BalsaDust is offline Find More Posts by BalsaDust
Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 AM
Edgewood, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,172 Posts
Yeh... In my yute, in the military, a friend had one just like it. Saw this and the Chevy on sale at the opening of a local Hobby Lobby. So, I decided to make a interior design feature wall in my recently acquired home shop. Another friend from high school had a '57 Chev just like that, same color. He liked to show people how the gas gage would dip toward empty as he accelerated from a standstill. Of course, he was not sucking in that much fuel, it was just from the fuel rocking back in the tank from the acceleration.
Last edited by wingwall; 02-24-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey
IMAC Junkie
Lexington,NC
Joined Sep 2009
797 Posts
That is a very good test Wingwall. That data is very clear, over 3 psi (6 Hg) the foam distorts.

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
Jerry_Hailey is offline Find More Posts by Jerry_Hailey

Quick Reply