logo
Old 04-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Find More Posts by holton50
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
oops

Always, Always check to make sure ailerons are going the right direction on the maiden flight! But all in all things worked out for the best, Mike over at DW foamies took care of me and sent me everything i need to fix it for free!
holton50 is offline Find More Posts by holton50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Find More Posts by jaguar bone
balsa, glue & gas
United States, FL, Winter Garden
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts
Re: oops

Wow Sobering for a first post holton50! Welcome to the Giants guy.
Most of of have been right where you are in that picture! I crossed ailerons twice before. I fell far short from good enough to twist my cerebral cortex enough to recover the planes too.

Now my radio takes care of this "set up" problem!
jaguar bone is offline Find More Posts by jaguar bone
Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by ScaleNvyFlr
Joined Nov 2007
8 Posts
Re: oops USE Rudder ...

Aileron reversal.. I had my first incident on a flight with my PTS mustang. I was lucky enough to get it high enough before I went to turn. Once I realized what happend, I just flew it with rudder and elevator. It was a little more challenging but it survived.
ScaleNvyFlr is offline Find More Posts by ScaleNvyFlr
Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts

I did it once.. had the same cerebral shortcomings as Jaguar Bone.. cost me a CompARF 2.1 Yak. It wasn't on the maiden though.. just a dumba$$ mistake during setup at the field.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

just watched a guy do that on a maiden flight with a 100cc plane. It usually only happens to a person once. so consider yourself lucky that it happened to you with a foamie...
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
balsa, glue & gas
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts
Re: oops USE Rudder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFlyer View Post
Aileron reversal.. I had my first incident on a flight with my PTS mustang. I was lucky enough to get it high enough before I went to turn. Once I realized what happend, I just flew it with rudder and elevator. It was a little more challenging but it survived.
With a name like "ScaleFlyer" I can understand why there was no "Snapasaurus" type aerobatic chit on take off!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by holton50
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts

i mean common lets be honest with our selfs, crashing is part of the fun!!!! i just had to learn aileron reversal the hard way lol. at least i learned this lesion on a foamie, could of been a 30%
holton50 is offline Find More Posts by holton50
Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 PM
3D1
Find More Posts by 3D1
3D1
Damn Wind
MA
Joined Oct 2008
344 Posts

I hate it when that happens. i decided to treat myself and get some better servos for my ailerons on my favorite plane about 2 yrs ago and had them reversed. But I got a cahnce to get a new plane so it wasnt that bad.
3D1 is offline Find More Posts by 3D1
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
balsa, glue & gas
Joined Jun 2006
3,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D1 View Post
I hate it when that happens. i decided to treat myself and get some better servos for my ailerons on my favorite plane about 2 yrs ago and had them reversed. But I got a cahnce to get a new plane so it wasnt that bad.

LOL!
Ya Know, Life is like a box of choc o lats.

You really focused on the good on that event!
My first was one of the first Kyosho LASER 200 that I had flown for over 1.5 yrs. It was time too.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by JACK MARCOTT
What Goes Around Comes Around
HAMILTON ONTARIO
Joined Oct 2006
187 Posts

My field buddy had his reversed at the beginning of the summer and crashed _ swore that it would never happen again. Well he did again at the end of summer.

Years ago a new pilot at our field did the same thing but did not realize it untill a couple lapps and managed to fly it back but the landing sucked.
JACK MARCOTT is offline Find More Posts by JACK MARCOTT
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

an experiance pilot at my club did this on a sig kadet trainer abunch of us decided to get to help train the local cub scouts. he went up went to bank right, it banked left and crashed. very short lived airplane. believe it or not he stayed up most of the night and had it fixed by next morn. he has a balsa art i could only dream of having.
jamesrxx951 is online now Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by Toumal
Joined Apr 2008
441 Posts

It happens, no need to feel ashamed about it. 'sides, it's hilarious to hear the *thunk* and see the enlightened expression on the pilot's face.

One way around it is to *always* run through a short checklist that includes not only IF all control surfaces are moving, but also where to.

Hey by the way, am I the only one to start a helo (OS engine) put it onto the pad... and then realize I a) haven't put in the RX batt pack or b) forgot to switch on the darn thing? Don't laugh, this happens to me all the time...
Toumal is offline Find More Posts by Toumal
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by Cobra1
Fuel Burner
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2006
215 Posts

I have a routine that I do before every flight - bury both sticks at the bottom left or right. The rudder will move and point to all surfaces that should be up. Simple and like I said, I do it before every flight just to be sure - it only takes a second or two. Sorry for youe loss.
Cobra1 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra1
Old 04-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by Tyler P
Joined Apr 2009
88 Posts

Luckily, I've seen a couple videos of that happening to people before I got serious into flying. Watching someone pile a brand new giant scale into the ground because of not doing a preflight check certainly sticks in your mind!

My latest dumb thumb was on my 5-flight-old 54" Yak 54. Our field is pretty much a runway that backs onto an open sand and gravel pit. I was flying on a darkish cloudy day and lost orientation while flying too low over the pit. I was inverted and ditched it down into the pit. It somehow came in completely flat and destroyed the motor box and fuse without damaging anything else. My power system came away fine, including my 5s pack, but the model is discontinued and the fuse was beyond saving.

That's another thing that won't happen again. Never fly low over a pit. Air currents are weird, and just because there isn't ground below your plane doesn't mean that you can fly it once you lose sight of it!
Tyler P is offline Find More Posts by Tyler P
Old 04-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Find More Posts by zoomer260
Louisville,KY
Joined Jun 2006
3,052 Posts

I too did this once. With my first Extra. Also my first 1.20 size plane. By the time I got a grip on it at WOT I let out a deep breath and said to myself "OK I got this" I pushed right to bank left and promptly cut the top wing off with a powerline about 300 yards away.

Come to think of it my first two 1.20 size planes did not last that long. The second, a Cap 21 the Rudder servo locked to one side when it was close to a stall and poof.

I actually think I could save one in this condition now.
zoomer260 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer260

Quick Reply