logo
Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
Question
Which Twwisted Hobbys model to learn 3D?

Decided to order a Twisted Hobbys profile plane to finally learn 3D maneuvers. For a 32" or 39" size, does it matter if it is a Crak Yak, Edge, Slik or other model? Or do they all fly pretty much the same at that size?

If which model matters, which do you recommend?

Thanks!
BHFG is offline Find More Posts by BHFG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-22-2019, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Go with whatever you like best.

Everyone has different style... personally, my GO-TO, and never will be without plane is the Crack Laser Pro. It is so phunky- so perfect in every way. I've learned more with this airframe than any other. And it allows me to fly everywhere and get the most stick time, I fly in the garage or the yard or the local field. Perfect travel plane.

I also like the 39" series, but my buddy Rich favors the 32" series. You just kinda got to try a few.

Where do you fly?
Are you ever in the city?
We fly a lot of twisted stuff around Mercer's campus off of 85.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 07-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
[QUOTE=Vapor Trails;
Where do you fly?
Are you ever in the city?
We fly a lot of twisted stuff around Mercer's campus off of 85.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vapor Trails. I fly out at Scenic RC off Hiway 316 about halfway between Winder and Athens, and also down in Gray at Dixie Aeromasters. I don't go into the city too much. I diddn't know anyone was flying around Mercer. Where is it at?
Old 07-23-2019, 06:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Check it out, 3001 Mercer University drive.

It is just a little neighborhood spot, perfect for the entire Twisted lineup.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
I just put together a velocity for my buddy and its amazing!!
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Old 07-24-2019, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
If money or small size is an issue, get the 32" Crak Yak. You can't go wrong with that. Don't buy the 39" series. I have a 39" Edge from a while back, and the Veloxity is so much better, I wouldn't do it again. The Veloxity is stiffer than the Edge. The Veloxity has the servos in the back with short push rods. That means way way less slop and way more accuracy and consistency in trim and handling. The Edge is just sloppy and floppy in comparison. The Veloxity handles the wind and penetrates better than either of the other two planes, and the roll rate is just incredible. If you want something close to the high performance ARFs, get the Veloxity. I couldn't tell you the difference between models within the same series of planes.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Last edited by dldeuce; 07-24-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
Check it out, 3001 Mercer University drive.

It is just a little neighborhood spot, perfect for the entire Twisted lineup.

Sounds like I need to stop by. What days and times do you guys normally fly?

I saw in some of your older RCG posts that you have also flown the PA Addiction. Would you recommend an Addiction or one of the TH planes for learning 3D maneuvers?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
As nicely as I could possibly put it, my Addictions are dust collectors and I've been through a few.

If you are wanting to learn, absolutely go with TH. My buddy Rich has been busy cutting videos, but we get tangled and slam our TH models CONSTANTLY.

In the most catastrophic of crashes, the kinda crash when two planes come together with multiple prop gashes, fuse breaks, carbon breaks, foam breakage, control surfaces tearing off, etc- we are glued up and back flying in under 5 minutes. I have flown so many different foamies, but frankly very few can take this type of torture... the same type of tangle, should Rich and I midair our Addictions, would result in a bit more tedious repair job involving new wood, lots of blades, covering, patience, perhaps a new motor mount kit, LG or other spare parts ($$$), and a great deal more time.

I tend to favor large models on the rare opportunity I get to a field but now that I have a baby, is less than once every other month.

I started flying foam again because living in the city, it takes me an hour + to get to one of the clubs I like (Pecan Patch, NGMA, SMRCF). With foam I can fly in my basement, backyard, driveway, local park, etc. Mercer is only about 6-10 mins from me.

TH holds up well, perhaps why you do not see many resold in the classifieds...

It may be out of the realm of what you were originally seeking, but to be square if you want to learn and learn the fastest, pick a plane you will be able to and want to fly the most. For me it is the Crack Laser Pro because I can get real stick time at home and in the yard. You can literally put 1,000's of flights on this bird and it keeps getting more and more exciting each night out.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails View Post
As nicely as I could possibly put it, my Addictions are dust collectors and I've been through a few.
Well that's a pretty strong endorsement. Sounds like I just need to get one on order. Thanks!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
32” Crack Laser Lite is my favorite all time backyard basher. Bought it to replace my original Crack Yak a few years ago and it is nothing short of amazing. I put lights on it so I can fly it anytime day or night.
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 02-25-2021, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by amandaturciya
Joined Feb 2021
1 Posts
Thanks for so many suggested materials.
amandaturciya is offline Find More Posts by amandaturciya
Old 02-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Laura_Jonee
Joined Feb 2021
1 Posts
Great! I am happy you have an opportunity to learn 3D maneuvers!) I remember once I also wanted to study this topic in more detail in physics lessons. Then I found a good service https://edubirdie.com/assignment-writing-service which helped me to dig a little deeper into this. In addition to the prepared written assignments, I also read many articles and books, but never practice. I ought to save money)
Laura_Jonee is offline Find More Posts by Laura_Jonee
Last edited by Laura_Jonee; 02-26-2021 at 06:02 AM.

Quick Reply