logo
Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by BH_421
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Discussion
Extreme Flight 88" Edge 540

Hello all.

New to the forum but not the hobby. Been away for a few years but have decided to give in and jump back into it.
This isn't my first Extreme Flight airframe but definitely is the biggest one I've owned. As always, their shipping was very fast and the plane arrived flawless.
As I get the rest of the puzzle pieces, I will post pictures and ask questions for sure. I've had a 50cc in the past but I've never ran a power/distribution board. Any help there would be greatly appreciated. Been looking at the SmartFly brand.

Anyway, here are a few of what everyone has seen before. More parts on order as I type this.
BH_421 is offline Find More Posts by BH_421
Last edited by BH_421; 03-18-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Pictures didn't show. Yay Photobucket.

Fixed.
Last edited by BH_421; 03-18-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
good luck with the airplane! why do you need a power distribution board?
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Your going to like that ride,one of the best I ever had.Keep it simple and light and a 60cc single.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
good luck with the airplane! why do you need a power distribution board?
Thanks!

High level quick version, a board allows you to plug 2 cell LiPos directly into the board which then powers the receiver with "clean" power. The servos in turn then pull their power from the board leaving the receiver to do it's job without the fear of power hungry electronics pulling through it. That from what I hear can cause a brownout. Some also offer other features such as opti-kill switches and more.

I've never ran one myself but I personally feel that it could only help. That's why I asked for suggestions on what to get.
Last edited by BH_421; 03-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Your going to like that ride,one of the best I ever had.Keep it simple and light and a 60cc single.
Good to hear! It seems to be rock solid in the air from what I've seen.
I did however already order the DA-70. I fell prey to a few videos online. Oops. Basically following EFs recipe as well as what Jace was using.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:29 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
I think if you talk to some folks, you would have a hard time finding an endorsement for a distribution device in that size airplane, save for the powersafe receivers produced by a few companies which are easy to set up with straight lipos. aside from that, they really aren't necessary. you always have the option of using a conventional receiver and powering it with two lipos. I and a whole lot of other people use the TA IBEC for engine kill. whatever you choose, it's a very nice flying airplane. can't go wrong with a DA 70!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 AM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
save for the powersafe receivers produced by a few companies which are easy to set up with straight lipos.
Such as the AR9140T?
I would love to keep as simple as that.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH_421 View Post
Good to hear! It seems to be rock solid in the air from what I've seen.
I did however already order the DA-70. I fell prey to a few videos online. Oops. Basically following EFs recipe as well as what Jace was using.

I agree with you on the videos that are on line with the 70, can't go wrong their,very impressive and good for some high energy flying.The EF Edge is one of the very few planes I have that flies with NO trim adjustments at all.Very straight and square airframe,DA60 in mine.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 03-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
if you can get or have the 9 ch PS it will work fine...but it has been disc by HH so it would be the 12.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
I'm hearing a lot of good things about this airframe. Getting excited about it!

I've also read that some people are using Gorilla glue on robart style hinges. Is this better and or easier that standard 30 minute epoxy?
Do you need to add a droplet of water into the hole first? And are you using the original or the clear?

Also.... FGNewbie, I ordered an AR9140T receiver for the plane from my local shop. Thanks for the point of direction. If they can't get the 9, I told them the 12 would be fine.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
you're going to get various opinions on hinging, and my suggestion is no matter what you use, not to overthink it. there are a variety of approaches that work just fine. I use epoxy, and insert it into the hole with a tooth pick. I do not coat the hinge as doing so makes a mess when it is inserted. if you haven't hinged before, start with the elevators as they are easier. for the DA I think you will need standoffs in the range of 3/4" or so, if you haven't already thought about that.

I keep a bottle of alcohol handy to wipe off any excess, or to drink in the event things go really bad.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
I have went the epoxy route in the past with my Aeroworks 260. It was the 30cc size and had a DLE 35RA in it. I will more than likely go that way again. Thanks for the response.
I was thinking about the gorilla glue and the fact that clean up would be quicker but drinking the alcohol is a damn good idea!

Received a call from the shop today about that 9 channel. You are on it, Newbie. They ordered the 12 channel.

As for the stand off.... yes. I ordered EFs with the plane.
Picked up my servos today as well.
MKS HBL599
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH_421 View Post
I have went the epoxy route in the past with my Aeroworks 260. It was the 30cc size and had a DLE 35RA in it. I will more than likely go that way again. Thanks for the response.
I was thinking about the gorilla glue and the fact that clean up would be quicker but drinking the alcohol is a damn good idea!

Received a call from the shop today about that 9 channel. You are on it, Newbie. They ordered the 12 channel (powersafe).

As for the stand off.... yes. I ordered EFs with the plane.
Picked up my servos today as well.
MKS HBL599
Not to rain on your parade but I know of one very credible pilot that had compatibility issues with the new 599 servos and powersafe rx. I'd run 2 lipos straight into a AR8010t or AR9030t and forego the powersafe unit. Not really needed at the 60cc size IMO, or if you want redundancy then add a Booma dual redundancy pin flag setup in conjunction with the normal rx mentioned above.
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 AM
Joined Mar 2019
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Not to rain on your parade but I know of one very credible pilot that had compatibility issues with the new 599 servos and powersafe rx.
Well that's not good.
I assure you that I will bench test the setup before I bolt in anything to make sure I don't have any issues. Thanks for the heads up.

This isn't a parade though. I am simply buying a bunch of parts and throwing them into some wood and plastic. I've been asking questions along the way and appreciate any and all feedback. That's one of the reasons I love this hobby and I thank ALL of you for the help!

I do however have anAR8000 receiver. Would that work should the powersafe rx fail to launch?

Quick Reply