Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Discussion
help!! automobile question

My wife has a 2008 cadillac escalade. let me begin by saying, she is very sensitive. i cannot say anything to her, mostly, i have to listen to her. she is the mother of our two children. Bla Bla Bla!!
anyways, here is the dilemma...

i have noticed that she will turn on the reading lights or the overhead lights in the car, and forget to turn them off. 6 months ago, this, resulted in the car battery being run down.

i had to get the jumper cables, restart the car, drive it around, then it was back to normal.

so today, i am at work. i leave to work at 6 am or so.
she needs to drop off our daughter before 8 am at her school. i leave my cell phone in my locker while i am at work. i cannot take my cell phone into the operating room.

so after my 2nd surgery, she calls my nurse, to tell her that her car would not start, and she needs for me to pick up my daughter at 3 pm. but, i still have 2 more surgeries to do. she was able to get our neighbor to take her to school in the morning, and the lovely lady did pick her up at 3 pm as well.

so, once i get home, i notice the car has zero electricity,. nothing turns on at all, much less does it crank.

so i get the jumper cables, connect it to my running nissan xterra.

immediately, the drivers side reading light is on!!

indicating, this is the light she left on.

i restart her car, and get it going. she is now shopping. i have called her, and she states it is restarting with every place she parks.

so here is my question.

i confronted her over 6 times in past 4 months, telling her: "you left your lights on (either the reading lights , overhead lights, or the lights from the vanity mirror on the back side of the sun visors).

when i tell her this, she becomes very upset with me, and she gives me attitude. it seems that me reminding her of this irritates her, when all i am trying to do is to try to get her in the habit of not forgetting to turn off the lights, if she turns them on.

i do not know what to do next, as today was a prime example of her continuing to forget to turn of these lights.

i explained to her, what if you needed to take your car in the event of an emergency, you would be stuck at home!!

so today, she was not upset with me when i told her this, but i did tell her i will try to find a way for these lights to not turn on. she did not like this idea.

same thing, i n the home, she keeps so many lights on, when they are not being used.

i really do not know what else to do!!
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Free Bird
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Disable the lights, take the bulbs out.

FB
Free Bird is offline Find More Posts by Free Bird
Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Disable the lights, take the bulbs out.

FB
+1

But if her logic is like my wife's, she'll demand a new car because the lights don't work.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by grizzz
addicted to flying
United States, GA, Kingsland
Joined Jan 2011
764 Posts
simple put the lights on timers in the car and timed motion sensors in the house
grizzz is offline Find More Posts by grizzz
Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
If you aren't already a member, join AAA. When she drains the battery have her call them so she won't be stuck all day long.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 12-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,872 Posts
Is it the original battery? If it is it's getting old and is probably weak. I wouldn't think the interior lights could draw enough to run it down that quick.
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Cadillac Escalade ?? Mine would automatically turn off these lights if I left them on over a period of time, any dome light for that matter. Not sure if the 2008 does it or not, but my 2010 did. Also you might get the battery replaced or at least checked out.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Limitless Aero
Tyler, tx
Joined Oct 2010
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Cadillac Escalade ?? Mine would automatically turn off these lights if I left them on over a period of time, any dome light for that matter. Not sure if the 2008 does it or not, but my 2010 did. Also you might get the battery replaced or at least checked out.
1+ 08 should turn off after a set amount of time. The batter probably needs replaced especially if you notice it is worse when it is cold out
KoleDeRacer is offline Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Old 12-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
good thought. this is the third battery it has had, and i have also had to replace the battery terminal cables, all the way, since the original ones were known to be problematic, of course, changed by Cadillac, and not under warranty, they tell me once warranty went away. this car has been frought with electrical problems. all of the window motors have quit, one by one, then the rear door motor burned out. then the battery cables!! i will never buy cadillac again.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
good thought. this is the third battery it has had, and i have also had to replace the battery terminal cables, all the way, since the original ones were known to be problematic, of course, changed by Cadillac, and not under warranty, they tell me once warranty went away. this car has been frought with electrical problems. all of the window motors have quit, one by one, then the rear door motor burned out. then the battery cables!! i will never buy cadillac again.
+1, mine was a pain in the a$$, all sorts of electrical issues. Once the air ride went out, I traded that sucker in. Never again will I buy a caddy.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
Stuff like that is why I traded my '99 Silverado in for a 2010 F150!!
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 10-17-2015, 05:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Anyone know how to fix squeaking brakes?
When i drive, there is a squeak squeak sound that is constant. The moment I press the brakes, even slightly, the squeak goes away.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by grizzz
addicted to flying
United States, GA, Kingsland
Joined Jan 2011
764 Posts
sounds like you mite need new pads pull the wheels and inspect the grizzz
grizzz is offline Find More Posts by grizzz
Old 10-22-2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
United States, MS, Vicksburg
Joined Jan 2015
536 Posts
When you get new pads have them "service" the hydraulic cylinders as they sometimes get "crusty" and will not go back into position. Don't ask me how I know!! It might be better to replace the whole thing - cheaper in the long run.
Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
Old 10-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Doctor View Post
When you get new pads have them "service" the hydraulic cylinders as they sometimes get "crusty" and will not go back into position. Don't ask me how I know!! It might be better to replace the whole thing - cheaper in the long run.
bobby, you mean replace the brake caliper also?
I need to get someone to stick their head out a window while I drive, so they can tell me if the squeaking is comi9ng from the front or rear wheels.

I need a volunteer!

Quick Reply