logo
Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts
50% CUB BY BILL HEMPEL (NEW VIDEO)

Bill Hempel takes another GIANT leap in giant scale RC, after the introduction last year of the 50% Edge and Extra 260, he surprises everyone this year with his new project, a 50% clipped wing Cub. Here is Bill to tell us more about it, take it away Bill

Hello everyone!

My name is Bill Hempel and I love BIG R/C airplanes. I have produced 2 very successful 50% aerobatic freestyle and IMAC capable aircraft so far. The Edge 540 and the Extra 260 have been a great success! My 3rd attempt at designing has resulted in the aerobatic version of a J-3 Cub. I wanted to design a large 50% airplane that all people could buy and not have to spend $3000.00 for an engine and exhaust system! The Clipped Wing Cub is the perfect answer. Being a Clipped Wing version the airplane has a shorter, more manageable wing that is a lot easier to transport. The shorter wing also increases the roll rate of the airplane making it easier to perform rolls and snap rolls. Each removable wing panel measures 33x 82”, this is still big but you can still handle it solo when assembling if needed.

Everyone has got to love a Cub, correct? I sure do. This was the choice of airplanes when a lazy fun, no-stress flying was called for. I remember when I was younger and flying a ¼ scale (big?) Sig clipped wing cub at my high school. This was one of the most fun planes I ever had!

Most of my flight testing is now complete on the 50% version. I have temporarily grounded the airplane until after the AMA show in California to make sure I have something to take there. I would hate for an accident to happen prior to everyone out there having a chance to see this plane.

Construction: Well, most of this airplane is made from ply-wood and balsawood. The cowling and dummy engine is fiberglass. The landing gear is made from aluminum and welded together. The entire aircraft is covered in Oracover Fabric and has painted black stripe on top. The ailerons are made just like my Edge’s and Extra’s; pre-installed “pocket style” hinges. The ailerons come pre-installed on the wings already. Only things the wings need are aileron servos installed with the linkages and they are ready for flight. The wings could be ready within a couple of hours work.

The horizontal stab is removable and has (2) stab tubes that hold the stab in place. The flying wires are where the strength comes from though. There are also (2) screws on each half that hold the stab to the fuselage.

The rest of the plane is just like my other ARF’s; pretty much just assembly work, no real building required. Everything is pretty much done. The motor box will come with the aluminum mounting stand-offs and a pre-marked firewall for the 150cc engine. The windshield and all windows install in minutes with a bottle of canopy glue. Windows are pre-molded and pre-cut and ready to install!

Performance: take offs in 3 feet. In a light wind it will land to a stop in about 10 feet. Very aerobatic; TR’s may be possible with the lighter production planes. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Conclusion: This is going to be a real winner. Even if nobody buys one, I am thrilled because I have one and a lot of spares, lol. This is a really cool (Bad Ass) plane. It will draw attention from anyone. The classic looks of the Cub and the clipped wing version makes this a super fun aerobatic plane! Top speed is about the same as the real clipped wing cub. Time to order as only 15 will fit into a container!

Bill Hempel
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts
Re: 50% CUB BY BILL HEMPLE

More pics...
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 01-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Find More Posts by Supermod56
United States, ID, Nampa
Joined Jan 2006
520 Posts

Sweet! Might just have to get a Cub, never had one! Look forward to the video. Bill, when do you think you will get the next shipment of 260's in? And is there going to be a choice on covering schemes?Thanks Tom
Supermod56 is offline Find More Posts by Supermod56
Last edited by Supermod56; 01-02-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Find More Posts by 19Patrick83
Italy
Joined Mar 2006
180 Posts

Beautiful plane! I had 1clipped cub. I homebuild that in spring2006. This aircraft are capable of incredible manuvers. I'll been waiting for a video!
19Patrick83 is offline Find More Posts by 19Patrick83
Old 01-02-2008, 05:14 AM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

COOL!!!
When will we see some hover shots???
You oughta provide some big floats for this too!!!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 01-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Sep 2006
1,980 Posts

What are these going to be selling for and how do you pre-order one ?
ULTIMATE1 is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMATE1
Old 01-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Lakeland, FL
Joined Jun 2007
1,936 Posts

He could just hop in it and fly it to the feild.
Matt_Thomas is offline Find More Posts by Matt_Thomas
Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Bill Hemple,

On behalf of all the other RC large scale addicts I must ask you to cease and desist with this madness. It is only the first day of a new year and you are gnawing at the roots of my new years resulution. (I dont need a new plane in 2008) Now I swore to that resolution less than 24 hours ago and we are already in contact trying to buy one.

Billy Hemple, you are a man of the devil and may you have many sleepless nights worrying about poor buggers like us who just cant go past a great new project.

I will see to it that Max gets you a 2 minute ban from Flying Giants for doing this to us Bill.

Bad Bill Bad Bill.
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 01-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile, Antofagasta, Antofagasta Province
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

PS:

Snap,

You conveniently left the web site address off so you order tyhem all by yourself right!!!!!!!

SHOW US THE LINK DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by toc pilot
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Hey, sorry for not giving the price information. The J-3 Cub will be available as soon as they arrive in the States. Right now I am projecting that to be in March sometime. The kit will come complete with landing gear and scale 8.5" Cub wheels. Cost $2495.00. If you pre-order before January 13th, 2008 with a $500.00 deposit you will recieve $100.00 off on the kit price. Mailing address:

Bill Hempel
11420 E. Gunsmith Drive.
Tucson, AZ. 85749

www.billhempel.com
toc pilot is offline Find More Posts by toc pilot
Old 01-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Bill Hemple,

On behalf of all the other RC large scale addicts I must ask you to cease and desist with this madness. It is only the first day of a new year and you are gnawing at the roots of my new years resulution. (I dont need a new plane in 2008) Now I swore to that resolution less than 24 hours ago and we are already in contact trying to buy one.

Billy Hemple, you are a man of the devil and may you have many sleepless nights worrying about poor buggers like us who just cant go past a great new project.

I will see to it that Max gets you a 2 minute ban from Flying Giants for doing this to us Bill.

Bad Bill Bad Bill.

I am really sorry Kiwi! I promise NOT to design anymore 50% airplanes for at least 3 months! The worst case senerio for you is a new design plane by the end of this year. Is that better?

BH
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
KIM
Find More Posts by KIM
KIM
United States, WI, New Berlin
Joined Dec 2007
540 Posts

bill im ready so when can i buy one :-) ill see you at the hobby barn
KIM is offline Find More Posts by KIM
Last edited by KIM; 01-02-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: why not
Old 01-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermod56 View Post
Sweet! Might just have to get a Cub, never had one! Look forward to the video. Bill, when do you think you will get the next shipment of 260's in? And is there going to be a choice on covering schemes?Thanks Tom

Hey Tom,

The Extra 260's should be in the same container as the Cub's. Here is the new scheme;
Old 01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,341 Posts

video???? I know you have some...
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Tucson, Az.
Joined Jan 2006
2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
video???? I know you have some...
Having major issues getting them from my DVD camcorder to my computer. My camera seems to not have the program disk for the transfer. Not sure what to do with it, I can play the video on the camera but cant off load it. It will not play on the computer as a DVD. Help?

Bill

Quick Reply