logo
Old 01-13-2020, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by rampage
Joined Jan 2020
6 Posts
Discussion
Ziroli Ercoupe - Help and advice.

'Evening! Long time member of RCGroups, first time posting here.

This past weekend I took possession of my first true giant scale balsa plane. I learned to fly on nitro in the mid-90s, took a break and started flying about 6 or 7 years ago, almost strictly electric. However, I got ahold of this Ercoupe (built by Dick Taylor in Idyllwild, CA) with a Saito 125 and I think I'm ready to take the plunge back into nitro. At least for this, and a few other planes.

While this is my first giant-scale balsa plane, it's not my first giant scale plane. I have, and very much enjoy, a Carbon Z Cessna, so I'm aware of the storage and transportation challenges of large airplanes. Thankfully I have a vehicle large enough to transport them so that's not a huge problem.

But now come the questions.

1) Does anyone have a photo of the landing gear template on the plans? I don't even know if there is one. I know it was designed to work with the Robart gear set but I'm not in a position where I can pay $325 for landing gear for one airplane right now. The plane has wire gear but I'm not sure if the builder used a template for them or simply bent them to his liking. The plane seems 'squat'. It appears to sit too low to me. It's got tires that are smaller than scale (plan apparently calls for a 2.75" up front and 3.25" on the mains, he's got a 2.5" on the front and 3.0" on the mains) but the big problem is, everything I've read on this Saito suggests that it wants to swing a 16x6. I'm not sure I'm going to have clearance for a 16" prop. The plane currently has a 15" prop on it and it appears to have been cut down for clearance.. I know the larger wheels will help a bit but if there's a template for the landing gear I'd love to see it without having to pay $40 for the plan.

2) I'm going to be modernizing the electronics a bit. It had an old 2000MAh 4-cell AA RX pack. I'm going to be using a 1700MAh LiFE pack. The RX pack had been mounted under the cowl on the engine mount. I know this probably wasn't a problem for the old NiCD cells but I know heat is a major problem for lithium packs. Am I safe to run a LiFE pack that close to a hot engine or should I relocate the battery? I'm thinking that relocating it to a place that'd be easier to access for charging is going to be beneficial but I expect to have to add nose weight at that point.

Thanks in advance. There will be more questions I'm sure. Until then, here are a couple obligatory pictures of the Ercoupe.

rampage is offline Find More Posts by rampage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-14-2020, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Fly it and enjoy it while you update it. New battery location means re balancing!
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 01-15-2020, 01:56 AM
Find More Posts by rampage
Joined Jan 2020
6 Posts
Yup, definitely. I'm going to try it with the battery forward of the CG but behind the fuel tank. There's a ton of room in the radio bay under the cabin floor.

Got some bigger wheels on it. Plan-recommended 2.75" up front and 3.25" on the mains.

Already has a much better stance and more importantly about 2.5" clearance for the prop.
rampage is offline Find More Posts by rampage
Old 04-10-2020, 09:14 AM
Find More Posts by stillkickin
United States, TX, Kyle
Joined Jan 2012
275 Posts
I don't know if it's scale but a three blade prop would help on the clearance.
Nice plane, I've wanted one for sometime now but on a tight budget now.

Enjoy,
sherm
stillkickin is offline Find More Posts by stillkickin
Old 04-03-2021, 04:51 AM
Find More Posts by stukafan
Joined Apr 2021
1 Posts
Landing gear Ercoupe

Hi Rampage,
very nice plane you have presented here.. for me a bit motivating, because since last week I have the plans and cowl set laying in my workshop..
it seems that You have not used on Your Ercoupe Robart landing gear.
I plan to make the gear from wires too - please - could You share some detailed pics of Your landing gear?
How does it work?
Thanks in advance
Tomas
(Prague , Europe , Czech Republic)
stukafan is offline Find More Posts by stukafan

Quick Reply