logo
Old 06-16-2019, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts
Hmmm are you sure - it just says sold out,...

have you called Herve???

I hope they haven't discontinued it...

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Tseres
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm fanatic View Post
Looks like the Ultimate is out of production. Hopefully PAU brings it back.

They're just out of stock.
Tseres is offline Find More Posts by Tseres
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
I have been lazy and not working on the Ulti. I used waiting on pars as excuse. They are here. I'm going high voltage with this plane. I resisted as long as I could. Going with a Pulse 3600 to power the Ignition and the smoke pump. 2 Pulse 5200s to power the receiver... This is going to be an all day airplane I'm thinking 15 safe flights with this setup without a charge. Smart fly opto kill will control the power to the ignition and the smoke pump. Then I'm Using the No Limitz fiberglass spinner. ( My Favorite Spinner) with a Falcon 27-10 Wood prop. the 27-10 is an awesome prop for the DA-100.

Just thought of something else I need. A Check Valve and Smoke fuel lines. That is not to good of an excuse to not work on the plane so I'm going to piddle a little installing the stuff I got today.

I did mess around a little wit cutting holes in the bottom of the Cowl. Air Exit hole, muffler stinger clearance and access hole to the bottom cowl bolts are in. Still need Choke rod access hole. I might do it first.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
The one picture of the carb is where I stuck my phone through the opening to take a picture to see how much room I had between the carb and the cowl. Wasn't going to post that but what the #3II. Its there now.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseres View Post
The one picture of the carb is where I stuck my phone through the opening to take a picture to see how much room I had between the carb and the cowl. Wasn't going to post that but what the #3II. Its there now.
Yep, there is not much clearance on the bottom side of the cowl. I even had to wrap my headers as they were burning the glass. I believe mine was the last one in his warehouse and being it was several years old Herve may not order more as that is not much of a demand for them.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 06-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Sorry but there is nothing to update. Other things came up that needed my attention more then the Ulty. I hope to get back on it soon. Not much left to do. I did mount the smoke pump last night while no one was keeping tabs on me. Pictures when I get more done.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Started back on the ultimate yesterday. Some progress is slowly being made. Can't work mid day on the plane since it gets to hot so I've been running errands the last couple of days. Still get a little bit in today in the morning and the evening. Got the gas and smoke tanks installed. Not much room to work where the tanks go but it wasn't impossible to install them. Still need to plumb from the smoke pump to the mufflers. Drill the prop and Spinner then balance so I know where to install the batteries.
I already have the transmitters basic programming done. Did it today. If all goes well, I should have the plane ready to start up tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Things are going slow cause I don't feel like working in the heat. Finished the plumbing for the smoke system. Couldn't find any RC type Check valves so I took Mika Woodward's advice and went to the Pet Shop and got some Check valves from the air system for Aquariums. It is my good fortune to have old time builders for friends. I've learned so much from these guys while I was learning to build. I still turn to them for advice when I'm stuck.
One of the things I picked up along the way was to use 2 check valves on a dual muffler system and put it about 3 inches from the mufflers. If you use one valve before the T in the line will also work but anything past the valve will leak out or burn up. So having the valve close to the muffler will save the Smoke oil that is in the line. Over time this adds up. You're saving oil and money in the long run.
I have the Prop and the back plate for the spinner drilled. Still need to balance them and start up the plane to see if it runs.
The last thing to do is to balance the plane and install the batteries.I'm glad I'm not on a deadline.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by crankcase
baddogsmokes@gmail.com
United States, MN, Isanti
Joined Apr 2016
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseres View Post
One of the things I picked up along the way was to use 2 check valves on a dual muffler system and put it about 3 inches from the mufflers. If you use one valve before the T in the line will also work but anything past the valve will leak out or burn up. So having the valve close to the muffler will save the Smoke oil that is in the line. Over time this adds up. You're saving oil and money in the long run.
Good advice that a lot of guys overlook. Dual check valves will also give instant on and off smoke switching as your keeping your lines primed right up to the injectors. Otherwise venting can occur through the straight section of the tee leading to each injector. Regardless of which pump you use.

You may want to reconsider using silicone tubing for the last few inches to your injectors. Smoke oil will eventually deteriorate silicone tubing. Viton tubing is considered the standard when it comes to high temp smoke oil tubing.
crankcase is offline Find More Posts by crankcase
Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Crankcase. I changed the silicone line to high temp fuel line from the auto parts store. I will get some Viton just in case.

A couple of days ago I got the engine fired up . Had a little problem with the carb. The Diaphragm dried up from sitting around for a few years without being used. I learned a trick from my friend Colton Clark. You can smear a little Redline oil on both sides of the Diaphragm. This moistens it up pretty quick. Don't use gasoline. It evaporates to fast.Started pulling fuel on the first flip. You never know on a used engine how it will run at first. I got lucky. This one seems to run good so far.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
On final inspection I found the top wing aileron hinges not glued in. Had to postpone the maiden a day. It's a little nose heavy. I think I'll leave it there for a while. 2 screws that were holding the wires came loose. I didn't tighten them enough. Everything stayed tight for the next 3 flights after I tightened them up.

PAU 35% Ultimate Maiden. Part one. (1 min 13 sec)
Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Elwood In.
Joined Jun 2009
3,483 Posts
Here is the second part of the maiden flight. I trimmed the plane and flew it around for the first 3 minutes and handed it off to Austin for the for the second part. We both like it. It's a fun plane. I've never had a plane that tumbles like this so I'm going to learn new maneuvers. This plane is a keeper.
Ken if you're still looking in. You did a great job on the design of this plane. Lots of complements yesterday.

PAU 35% Ultimate. Maiden flight. Part two. (1 min 39 sec)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:42 AM
Find More Posts by Ken-H
Center Punch it!
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Mar 2006
1,236 Posts
Hi Tom! Still here and great job getting her going and congrats on the maiden. I wish I could take credit on the design but I can't but I had a little influence. I do love these Ultimates.
Ken-H is offline Find More Posts by Ken-H

Quick Reply