Find More Posts by I_Fly
United States, MI, Belleville
Joined Jul 2018
12 Posts
Total Recall (reference to the movie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Evans View Post
Tom

Thanks for posting that. It seemed out of character given my experience with you over the phone, but now it makes sense. I imagine that can get frustrating since....yeah.... my manual does clearly state that. But I guess I'm just lucky because mine has only had a couple of 17-ounce tanks through it and hand-starts almost immediately
Now that it's mentioned, I recall reading this when setting up the plane back in February. My assumption had been that this sentence was more of a safety precaution than operating instructions. This is probably my issue since I have spent most of my life ignoring safety labels.

This is my first gas engine for RC. Many guys like it and note how it easily starts once broken in and tuned. I've taken a few good points away from the comments.

- Double check the voltage to the ignition (with a meter, should be 6V).
- Don't be afraid to open the throttle a bit to start it (I have been keeping it well below 1/4).
- With the bottom mounted carb some gas drip is normal, even healthy when opening the choke. (When i checked the plugs they were dry so I didn't think it's flooding)
- Use an electric starter!

Oddly enough I fooled with it for just a few moments last night. I took one plug out and tried to observe the spark while flipping. It started and ran for a few moments on one cylinder. I was somewhat surprised that it started and ran on residual fuel (tank had been empty for a few days).

It seems I can flip it fast enough for the ignition to pick up the sensor. The engine may be quite stiff so the drag/compression stroke on the second cylinder may be stiff enough to put a stop to running after it pops/fires). So break in and a bit of tuning is my priority. I'll be able to use a capable starter at the field this weekend to start and run it a bit. I'll buy one if needed after that.

Thanks for the info guys,

Carl
I_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Fly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
52 Posts
Well I tried out a larger electric aerobatic plane and I must say the power was incredible but the flight time was not up to what I would have liked. I decided to swap out the power plant for gas. It had to be smooth as this was the electric version airframe, so a twin it was. I did a bunch of looking and reading about the VVRC 40cc classic and it was basically all good, so I thought it was the one to try. At 34.1oz without the ignition and mufflers it is light. And with the angled 1/4" plugs it is very narrow also. It easily fits in the Extras cowl. I had the make a new firwall and move it back to the same dimensions as the gas version of the plane. I also sheeted in the sides of the engine box as they where full of lightening holes due to it being the electric version. The plane is an Extreme Flight Extra 300 V2 78". The motor is spinning a Mejzlik 21x8 carbon . I did a bit of ground running(a few heat cycles with the cowl off). With the cowl back on I flew it and put 4 tanks through it in the air today. I must say I have never had an engine just run out of the box like this guy has (my DA120 was close). I checked the high and low needles to make sure they where what the manual recommended , I have not touched them sense! It is starting to get a bit of a rich babble that in a few more flights I will start to lean out but it idles perfect and transitions great as is. So far it seems to be pulling very strong and working great. I see why people on other forums have been happy for many years with these motors. We shall see how it is with a few gallons through it but so far I am impressed.
Dennis P is offline Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 09-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by denney47
United States, IN, Columbia City
Joined Jun 2008
963 Posts
Very good job Dennis, have fun with that setup. We recommend the EF airplanes for our engines.
Thank you
Tom
Valley View RC
www.valleyviewrc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Well I tried out a larger electric aerobatic plane and I must say the power was incredible but the flight time was not up to what I would have liked. I decided to swap out the power plant for gas. It had to be smooth as this was the electric version airframe, so a twin it was. I did a bunch of looking and reading about the VVRC 40cc classic and it was basically all good, so I thought it was the one to try. At 34.1oz without the ignition and mufflers it is light. And with the angled 1/4" plugs it is very narrow also. It easily fits in the Extras cowl. I had the make a new firwall and move it back to the same dimensions as the gas version of the plane. I also sheeted in the sides of the engine box as they where full of lightening holes due to it being the electric version. The plane is an Extreme Flight Extra 300 V2 78". The motor is spinning a Mejzlik 21x8 carbon . I did a bit of ground running(a few heat cycles with the cowl off). With the cowl back on I flew it and put 4 tanks through it in the air today. I must say I have never had an engine just run out of the box like this guy has (my DA120 was close). I checked the high and low needles to make sure they where what the manual recommended , I have not touched them sense! It is starting to get a bit of a rich babble that in a few more flights I will start to lean out but it idles perfect and transitions great as is. So far it seems to be pulling very strong and working great. I see why people on other forums have been happy for many years with these motors. We shall see how it is with a few gallons through it but so far I am impressed.
denney47 is offline Find More Posts by denney47
Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
52 Posts
Well I have about 2.5 gallons through the VVRC40 twin now and it just keeps getting better. I have the midrange tuned good now so next to no babble. The engine hand starts effortlessly hot or cold and pulls the 21x8 Mejzlik hard. It runs so smooth, I could not be happier (well that is stretching it some) .
Dennis P is offline Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 02-15-2020, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Closed Account
Joined Oct 2013
1,077 Posts
Edge 540, 78” with original VVRC40

Easily started an original VVRC40 and ready to maiden. I’m concerned about putting an original version in the air, any suggestions. I’m using a 21 x 8 prop and plan on keeping the RPMs less than full throttle.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by rmyers719
RGM
United States, CO, Pueblo
Joined Oct 2011
167 Posts
I bought mine in 2014. It's been in four airframes and Tom re-built it once. I fly the hell out of it in IMAC. What are you concerned about?
rmyers719 is online now Find More Posts by rmyers719
Last edited by rmyers719; 02-17-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by denney47
United States, IN, Columbia City
Joined Jun 2008
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Burkert View Post
Easily started an original VVRC40 and ready to maiden. I’m concerned about putting an original version in the air, any suggestions. I’m using a 21 x 8 prop and plan on keeping the RPMs less than full throttle.
Nothing wrong with the original engine, keep the RPM's around 6800 static on the ground and you will not have a problem. The 21 X 8 is the perfect prop for the engine.
Thank you
Tom
Valley View RC
denney47 is offline Find More Posts by denney47
Old 02-17-2020, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
No worries with the original engine, fly it like you stole it, mine flew in two different airplanes, it now resides somewhere in TX and the guy who bought it is very happy with it, enjoy it.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 04-11-2020, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by maukaonyx
Joined Nov 2007
52 Posts
sorry, i found an answer later.
maukaonyx is offline Find More Posts by maukaonyx
Last edited by maukaonyx; 04-11-2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: found answer later
Old 07-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Find More Posts by horsefeetky
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2015
102 Posts
breaking in my new vvrc 40 twin needle settings are pretty good but I just wonder if I have the sensor pickup in the proper position for best results it is in the middle of the adjustment area seems like when I come from full throttle too low and chop it quick it comes very close to trying to die but if I allow it to settle in it does very well then once on the ground after landing it seems to continue a second step down to a lower idle
horsefeetky is offline Find More Posts by horsefeetky
Last edited by horsefeetky; 07-04-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefeetky View Post
And breaking in my new vvrc 40 twin needle settings are pretty good but I just wonder if I have the sensor pickup in the proper position for best results it is in the middle of the adjustment area seems like when I come from full throttle too low and chocolate quick it comes very close to trying to die but if I allow it to settle in it does very well then once on the ground after landing it seems to continue a second step down to a lower idle
You got me confused at chocolate LOL

Sounds like you are out of tune! Too Lean from the sounds of it on both needles. Hanging high idle after "chopping" (chocolate?) from high means lean HSN. Coming in for a landing at idle and it works its way down is too lean on the LSN.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=210976
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by jwellsy
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2013
158 Posts
Try a Walbro Metering Lever Gauge. If the carb metering lever is too high there'll be too much excess fuel that has to be burned off before the RPM will decrease.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old 07-22-2020, 12:33 AM
Find More Posts by Billefly
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2010
108 Posts
I got the Carf models , composite ARF 300L 2.12m, (83.") ;
made for 35 - to - 50cc engines.
The bare frame weighs 8.86 Lb.

https://carf-models.com/files/page/8...-300l-2-1m.pdf

Would the VV,40 twin , fly it ? Or do i need More ?

Bille
Billefly is offline Find More Posts by Billefly
Old 07-22-2020, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by horsefeetky
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2015
102 Posts
I fly a giant stick weighing over 12 lb and tow small gliders with it I am sure you will be happy very nice motor but does need electric starter to start hand starting is not its option
horsefeetky is offline Find More Posts by horsefeetky
Old 07-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by ehskds
Now you see it...
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Apr 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefeetky View Post
I fly a giant stick weighing over 12 lb and tow small gliders with it I am sure you will be happy very nice motor but does need electric starter to start hand starting is not its option

Its all about individual experiences but I have to disagree with the starting comment, sorry. I have 3 of the VVRC 40 twins (2-Classics, 1- Gen 2) and I have never hit one with a starter. Full throttle, full choke, 5-6 flips to make it pop, place throttle just off idle and choke off, about 6 more flips and I'm in the air. Not trying to make an argument out of it, just my experience with them is all.
And yes, very strong 40cc indeed!
ehskds is offline Find More Posts by ehskds

Quick Reply