logo
Old 05-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Discussion
1.375 Skymaster Hawk 100 Build

Since the jet forum on FG is not as active as it could be I figured I'd share a build thread to get some buzz going

We begin by pictures that were sent to my by Skymaster Jets. I purcahsed my kit form pacific Rc jets from Dirk
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-01-2017, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Ok so this is how I revived the kit, for the most it was damage free, but the cockpit and some parts got tossed around and needed to be fixed

On a side note, skymater really needs to be a better job of packing the cockpits (they sent me 2 replacements, but really could have saved themselves a good bit of cost if the cockpits were packed correctly in the first place).

I also got replacement paints from them and I was able to repair the damaged parts.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by rcflyguy
workin on rollers!!!
Findlay, OH
Joined Jan 2006
2,203 Posts
Hold on... let me get my popcorn!!

What fire breather are you putting in it?
rcflyguy is offline Find More Posts by rcflyguy
Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
We start with the turbine install. The fuse comes in 3 pieces so its easy to work with. The engine that I will be using is the jet cat p-300. This will provide the jet with ample thrust and should be close to 1:1 power to weight.

The included p300 bypass is too large to fit the stock rails so they needed to be enlarged. Also they sit to low so the bypass needed to be raise 1/4" to align with the intake.

The p300 also has dual smoke injectors installed on the mounting rails as this plane will be setup for smoke.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Moving on,

I purchased the kit with the air kit, which in retrospect is a bit of a waste, having dealt with large jets before I can tell you that the included air cylinders will almost certain get sucked open in flight, most of these cylinders even at 100 psi, have at best the equivalent of 50 inch / oz of torque, it only gets worse as the pressure decreases.

No Good, so instead of using air, I will be use the acutonix miniature actuators. These are the 150:1 gear reduction version with 50mm travel. They fit just right, but you will need to modify the mounts. However the holding power is much higher, closer to 200 inch oz. The other great thing is that unlike servos, these do not draw power once they are extended or retracted so the amp load is far superior.

For the nose I will replace the stock air cylinders with micro HV metal gear servos, while the air would probably work on the nose as the door is much smaller, I don't like the slamming affect air has on doors. I will be using hitec servos so I can adjust servo speed to slow them down and produce a nice scale effect.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Elevator.

So the Hawk is using the tried and true method of a pivot system that is supported by bearings. I will be using Hitec HS-7980 Servos to handle the elevator, these are 680 inch oz torque servos each and are also programmable so I can match the center and endpoints making radio setup much easier.

This set can be a bit of a pain if you plan on installing the scale details, but I like them.

NOTE: becare full when installing your servos, the position I chose for my install resulted in 1 servo screw each going through FIBERGLASS only and not wood.

I'm not sure why skymaster chose to cut out this oval on this very critical part of the kit

This was fixed by adding a piece of scrap wood to each side with hysol, Letting it dry and the running the screw in from the top to secure it into the fuse.

for those wondering, the servo arms are 1.5" SWB and I'm using the 2nd most outer hole. ALSO skymaster did not include the turnbuckles and I am using SWB 3mm turnbuckles.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyguy View Post
Hold on... let me get my popcorn!!

What fire breather are you putting in it?
jetcat P-300, 68lbs of thrust
Old 05-01-2017, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Rudder:

The rudder install is fairly striaght forward and the manual explains this in detail, just be careful to make sure you don't end up installing it with outer linkage going the wrong way as I did.

Using a hitech 8000 series for this one, I chose this non programmable servo to ensure rudder flutter would not be an issue. The ultra responsive series had better holding power than the 7000 series but are not programmable. A fair compromise as the rudder does not need to do any matching.

Also once again used swb turnbuckles and a 3" swb double arm.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
My kit was missing the bell mouth so I will be shifting onto the wings while I wait for skymaster to ship out a P300 bell mouth.

Once the bell mouth is here I will be able to fully setup the turbine and exhaust pipe.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Not much done today, so I installed a smoke tank that will sit beneath the turbine, also hysoled some ply tabs on the side with slots cut inside them. this will allow a strap to be run across the tank so it will not bounce around in flight.

Also enlarged the exit exhaust bracket so it will allow the larger p300 pipe to exit the aircraft.

Skymaster is sending me the missing bell mouth, so that should be here by the end of the week/early next week.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
While waiting on the tank, made some more progress, started with the tanks and a radio equipment tray.

The main tank has a basswood brace in the front and back, this bolts on to another basswood brass permanently fixed in the fuse.

The smaller tank is held in by a wood tray with borders and basswood support that stops it from moving forward or falling out.

I will use foam blocks in between the tanks to cushion/sandwhich them in place which will secure them nicely.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by Rowdy Ron
www.Teammuir1.com
United States, KY, Guston
Joined Aug 2007
647 Posts
Hello
I just received my Hawk TODAY... lol I am very interested in
following along with you with your build...
I do have several questions for you already... lol
did you order a the navigation light kit ?
Rowdy Ron is offline Find More Posts by Rowdy Ron
Old 05-16-2017, 10:31 AM
www.Teammuir1.com
Joined Aug 2007
647 Posts
Need To Know

I am assuming that you want others to post here on your build thread to talk about the same Plane.... I posted yesturday and now after looking over my plane I have even more questions.. lol.. and ideas ...
Old 05-16-2017, 10:33 AM
www.Teammuir1.com
Joined Aug 2007
647 Posts
Alkaline :
do you have any issues with your paint on the Fuse its self ?

Here are some pics and let you and others tell me what you see before I explain what I think I am seeing....

what I will ask is please blow pic up all the way for better viewing....
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts
Looks like the paint is bubbling.
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high

Quick Reply